my 78 fj40 build-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey, im new to the 40 side...ive spent most of my time on the sixty page working on my 83. i got a 78 fj40 last spring and have been tinkering with it since i bought it. i finnaly got everything running right. got it inspected and am driving it daily now.

things to come...ome suspension...front and rear bumpers...sliders...knuckle rebuild of course...

mechanicals right now i have no leaks...knock on wood. clutch is good.... just put on a new voltage regulator...it needs a new water pump and fuel pump which are on the way....new radiator and heater hoses and exhaust....

just got new tires...staying with the 31 10.50's on stock rims...

got Kumo allterains....cheap..great tread...good in rain, light to moderate mud, snow and sand...

this will be a go as i can as with most of us here funds are limited...

oh went for the rattle can...no maintenance paint job...first coat on now...will sand...smooth and coat again...

i will say its fun to drive and cant wait to get it more road worthy for some distance trips to the beach this summer.
FJ.jpg
FJ1.jpg
FJ2.jpg

more pics...interior is in okay condition....little bit of rust in normal spots. frame is in decent shape...it will do for what i need
FJ3.jpg
FJ4.jpg

Whats the deal with the front fenders?

all PO stuff....drilled holes for those lights. had to use them for inspection....got oem fronts on the way....tail lights too....damn they aint cheap either...

Looks like a great start Dan! Needs a little mud on the tires I think. :hmm: [and the oem lights in a hurry. :grinpimp:]

Congrats!

Looks like a great start Dan! Needs a little mud on the tires I think. :hmm: [and the oem lights in a hurry. :grinpimp:]

Congrats!

thanks big guy...yep lights are a must and mud....want to do the suspension though first....hopefully in a few weeks then we will be ready to go...should have the lights by then to and get rid of the tractor lights...lol

cfdlighthouse, You got a good looking rig, a good one to start with. Were abouts are you in central va are you? I live in monroe va., amherst county. I would like to find someone close buy to compare notes on each others rig. I'm in the slow process of fixing up my 78 fj myself. I've gone over the frame, got a little more to do but I'm starting on the body work now. I will be putting on a 2 1/2" rancho lift I got from "cruiserjunkie" and 1 1/2" longer shackles that I made, Anti-inverstion style. I can't seem to get things done fast enough. Anyway, nice rig.
Mike

cfdlighthouse, You got a good looking rig, a good one to start with. Were abouts are you in central va are you? I live in monroe va., amherst county. I would like to find someone close buy to compare notes on each others rig. I'm in the slow process of fixing up my 78 fj myself. I've gone over the frame, got a little more to do but I'm starting on the body work now. I will be putting on a 2 1/2" rancho lift I got from "cruiserjunkie" and 1 1/2" longer shackles that I made, Anti-inverstion style. I can't seem to get things done fast enough. Anyway, nice rig.
Mike

mike...thanks...its just a start....more body rust than id like but it will do...i live in farmville...so not to far away...just pm me if you need anything

I think you are doing your project the right way make it sound drive it alittle and deciede what you want to do to it next. ome lights save money and headaches in the long run and the new fenders will make a big differnce good work

I think you are doing your project the right way make it sound drive it alittle and deciede what you want to do to it next. ome lights save money and headaches in the long run and the new fenders will make a big differnce good work

thanks...im trying we shall see....the cool thing about the 40 is that everything is so basic...manual everything...easy to get to everything....drive train mounts make access easy....buncha switches...nothing fancy...just the way i like it...oh i forgot...got to get a radio too..i guess box speakers will work the best since theres nothing to mount them to....

some work

had some leaks...and low voltage...alternator checked out so replaced the voltage regulator now 13.89 at idle....fuel pump weak so replaced with kyosan....water pump leaking from weep hole and bearing sounded rough....replaced with new artex(sp) had an issue with the casting...had to clearance a part of it so it would not hit the timing cover....replaced all the rad.. and heater hoses....damn that hose between the heater valve and the rear heater lines through the firewall is a PITA....put back together...no leaks...yeah
vr1.jpg
vr2.jpg
wp1.jpg

here is the fuel pump and water pump
wp2.jpg
fp1.jpg
wp3.jpg

heres the new water pump and part of casting that needed to be groubd down is circled....brole both bolts in thermostat housing...came out okay...new thermostat and gaskets in....
wp4.jpg
wp5.jpg
wp6.jpg

exhaust should be here this week....lift to come....im debating what to do....man a fre has there safari lift on sale for 915 plus 150 shipping while i can get an ome from iron pig offroad here in va for 1350..plus 50 shipping and i have to pick it up an about 1.5 hr drive each way... difference of about 300...thats alot because i could buy a front bumper with the savings...i have the ome on my 60 and love it..just not sure if its worth the extra money for the 40

setbacks

had a few setbacks. since the truck has basiccally sat for w few years and the water pump was bad. i replaced it the hoses and radiator cap. took a 70 mile journey which with flow and pressure the radiator looked as if it had a hundred tiny holes. so new radiator upper hose and put in a yellow top cranking optima battery. then my exhaust/intake gasket blew and holes in the exhaust. got a new gasket and an exhaust system. took off the old exhaust breaking all three exhaust manifold bolts two i was able to get out one i had to drilll and tap. new gasket on. got the exhaust system in and it was supposedly made for a 40...bolts right up...not...the damn thing did not fit right and had more bends in it than a windy mountain road. thank god for mig welders...after an couple hours of cutting and turning and fitting took out 4 feet of exhaust pipe and got everything tucked tight and out of the way...it sounds good now
radiator.jpg
e3.jpg
exhaust.jpg

heres some pics of it installed....i also added my first base coat of paint....love the color....
e1.jpg
e2.jpg
olive.jpg

She's lookin better every post !! I like the color as well. The rate you're going, you'll be wheeling in no time. Good luck with the suspension choice, I like my OME's, the forty is worth it.:cheers:

She's lookin better every post !! I like the color as well. The rate you're going, you'll be wheeling in no time. Good luck with the suspension choice, I like my OME's, the forty is worth it.:cheers:

i like my ome on my 60 and im probably going to get the ome just have to get the extra cash....i like the color too i think it makes the truck look cool...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom