gas tank pressure bild up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi ,have a fj80,and after driving it ,open gas cap and a lot of gas pressure in there,any help in a fix or where to look at what is wrong.

Look at the charcoal canister being plugged, basically it acts as a filter & if it plugs then tremendous pressure builds in the tank & lines going back.

Look in the FSM & look under the charcoal canister checks, basically their is a test in which air passes through certain ways....... their is also a cleaning method.

Hope this helps, we fixed a buddies at Tellico using the manual-his was also building heat.

Look at the charcoal canister being plugged, basically it acts as a filter & if it plugs then tremendous pressure builds in the tank & lines going back.

Ah.

That's a much better response than mine. :lol:

Question: Shouldn't a properly functioning cap still vent any excess pressure (even if the canister's clogged), or does it not work that way?

Curtis

Ah.

That's a much better response than mine. :lol:

Question: Shouldn't a properly functioning cap still vent any excess pressure (even if the canister's clogged), or does it not work that way?

Curtis

I dont' believe they work that way. :cheers:

on the later 80 the charcoal canister is vented through the bottom via a hose to inside the frame rail. The part that mounts to the frame rail can become rusted to a point where it will be plugged. A local guy had two gas tanks pressurize to the point of failure do to this.

where do i find the charcoal canister on the fj80,and how do ya clean it,i don't have a book yet,also where to find 1

Its the big black can behind the battery.
hth
ken

on my truck,behind the battery is a big round canister for the air filter.any other place it can be and what does it look like

so we are all here looking for a fix,so back to the charcoal canister,how do ya repair it/clean it or check the system, looking for help.standing by.

FWIW, I replaced my canister and still have the pressure problem. Must be the VSV or vacuum diaphram not pulling fumes through the canister.

Sorry , mine is a 97 , I guess I do not know where it is on the 3fe.

ken
on my truck,behind the battery is a big round canister for the air filter.any other place it can be and what does it look like

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom