rear bumper suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The funds have finally come together a bit and I've decided its time for a much needed rear bumper. I've been doing a little reading around getting informed on what's out there on the market but I need some suggestions on what you think would fit me best.

The things that I'm interested in are:
1. Swing-out ladder for camping
2. Swing out tire-holder
3. Hitch

I would like something that would not involve cutting\welding and something that I would not have to wait for a long time, basically in-stock.

Last edited:
bumper thoughts

You might want to think about how much $$$ is the shipping going to cost. They are not light weight and are oversized, so you may want to find someone on the East Coast.

I think 4x4 Labs will sell you a DIY weldable kit. All the pieces are cut, you weld and finish. I think you save about $500 plus shipping may be a little less because it will fit in slightly smaller package.

I'm really satisfied with my Kaymar. They're quite expensive, but well built.

Kaymar Rear Tow Bumper 80 Series

I can relate that the built in tow hitch is up to the task. It will hold up to whatever the 80 will tow. The spare tire latch & swing out carrier can seem annoying, if rig is used as a DD & grocery getter. But getting that spare out from underneath and actually having a convenient and secure place to carry it with out it cluttering up the luggage area, to me is worth the little hassle of unlatching & latching whenever you get in the back. Just remembering to latch it before taking off is the biggest challenge, so far.

Some pics of mine:

101_0122.jpg
101_0121.jpg
101_0124.jpg

I just got in and installed my IPOR bumper WITH tire carrier WITH jerry can holder WITH hitch. I could easily add a ladder to it if I were so inclined. Pictures soon in another thread.

The funds have finally come together a bit and I've decided its time for a much needed rear bumper. I've been doing a little reading around getting informed on what's out there on the market but I need some suggestions on what you think would fit me best.

The things that I'm interested in are:
1. Swing-out ladder for camping
2. Swing out tire-holder
3. Hitch

I would like something that would not involve cutting\welding and something that I would not have to wait for a long time, basically in-stock.

Since you are in the East Coast and close to VA, then drive to Fredericksburg and get the IPOR bumper, they can install it for you while you are shopping at nearby Potomac Mills outlet shopping center. This is my third post about IPOR bumper today and I'm not even a salesman.

I would be inclined to also suggest IPOR since your relatively close. I had considered the 4X4 Labs as, to me, the ultimate bumper and was going to do the kit. However, I have embarked on gradually designing my own with lots of ideas... ahem... borrowed (read blatantly pirated) from Slee, 4X4 Labs, and others. I would say go for the 4X4 Labs kit if you don't mind cutting some of your back end off. :). Otherwise do the close IPOR.

thanks for the input guys, I think i'm going to stick with the 4x4 kit.

could someone that has the ladder and tire swing-out post some pictures up.
(there isn't any on his site with both installed on a 80)

Last edited:
There are a few pics of mine floating around. I'll upload some more, however.
DSC02707.jpg
DSC01576.jpg
DSC01309.jpg

My only caveat to purchasing a 4x4 labs bumper is time frame. If you're buying the 'kit', it shouldn't be an issue for you at all.

For me, I waited approx 9 months for mine (complete bumper). Luke was in the middle of changing how they produce the bumpers and my order got caught up in that. When my bumper finally arrived I was so p!ssed off I didn't even want it any more, because of the delay and getting (as I felt it) 'strung along'.

However- I am super happy I have it now, and can't imagine a better bumper made for our trucks. There have been some super slick one-off custom jobs, but as far as production bumpers go- this is the one to get. It addresses all the issues I had with the 'other' bumpers available.
1. It holds the spare close to the hatch instead of 'out in space'.
2. integrated tow hitch
3. massive skids built in
4. no-rattle design.

The wings have saved me literally thousands of dollars in potential damage.

And just like Slee's Shortbus front bumper, after you get it installed, it looks like it came that way from the factory. They are both slick, well designed units.

The 4x4 labs bumper is very well designed and built and the price reflects that. It also is totally dependent on what features you want and how "finished" you want it. As far as i've seen, there are alot of other great bumpers, from Slee, to Hannah, but only 4x4 labs has a ladder. But you can also source a JDM ladder from MOT and buy one of the other brands for siginificantly less $$$.

One of the nice things about the labs bumper is the 'modularity' of it. If you check out my pics. I have a ladder in a few pictures, and a custom built bike carrier in one... swapping them out is easy as pie.

I think slee would be your best bet for your requirements... except the ladder

Just ordered my 4x4 labs bumper today...Luke thinks it will be done by the end of the month...

I'm really satisfied with my Kaymar. They're quite expensive, but well built.

Kaymar Rear Tow Bumper 80 Series

I can relate that the built in tow hitch is up to the task. It will hold up to whatever the 80 will tow. The spare tire latch & swing out carrier can seem annoying, if rig is used as a DD & grocery getter. But getting that spare out from underneath and actually having a convenient and secure place to carry it with out it cluttering up the luggage area, to me is worth the little hassle of unlatching & latching whenever you get in the back. Just remembering to latch it before taking off is the biggest challenge, so far.

Some pics of mine:

I like the look of that bumper .
How is it bolted on? Looks like it partly mounted like a frame mounted hitch?
I think I will have to make one like that becouse at over $1000 and shipping would be way to much.

How is it bolted on? Looks like it partly mounted like a frame mounted hitch?
I think I will have to make one like that becouse at over $1000 and shipping would be way to much.

The Kaymar bolts to existing holes in the 80's frame and the receiver (hitch) is built in to the bumper. It, like other well designed bumpers, actually acts as the rear-most cross member on the frame and strengthens it. The swingout mounts at the ends of the bumper have to be well supported and help to give the bumper outstanding strength. I also like the built in cutouts for light fixtures. One other guy on MUD suggested installing backup lights in the cutouts instead of the lights provided with the bumper which, to me, sounds like an excellent idea. You can always use more illumination to the rear at night.

Just ordered my 4x4 labs bumper today...Luke thinks it will be done by the end of the month...

I did not see any prices on there web site . How much is the kit?

I dont see how you can use a high lift with this bumber as all of it is angled under.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom