How strong (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 85 fj 60 and have high plans for it but leary about the axles. I am going to run 37s with a 488 gear ande spool in the rear. Do I need to upgrade axle shafts or run dana 60s(don't really want to run 60s ) This is a multipurpose vehical daily driver, snow rig, and rock. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks to everyone helping the NOOB

:hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly:
IMG_2340.jpg

First you got to get that squatty body sum-bitch off the ground before you put 37" on it...........

Daily driver & a spool? yeah, right........

Between the saggy butt and the wing I say bag it and put on some 14" Daytons and cruise Sac Town, cholo.

Lot's of guys run 37's on stockers, I say do it. Spring over (AAL or find some new rears), weld the dif and drive it, then buy some longfields if it breaks.

I don't have a lot of advice on the danas, but I'd echo the comments about a spool and daily driver. Probably won't like it, especially in snow.

That stripe is bitchin though. Any more photos?

Only photo I bought over the net and going to pick up feb 25 turn key 1000.00 bucks what do you think?
I sold my TJ in 08 had a child (not to practical for family) 44s front and rear with spool and arb and loved it anyways never had experince with toyota except draging pick ups around never a L/C it was the other way around (fj60 pretty much all stock and drove next to me where I was stuck turned around and yanked me out)so here is some pics of the tj sorry the pics suck
IMG_2344.jpg
IMG_2345.jpg

Last edited:
The axles are strong, but that's relative to the style of wheeling you do and how much skinny pedal you are used to. Anything can be broken but if driven with restraint many things will last. If you longfield (axle set) out the front end you'll get dana 60 strength up front and it will happily support 37s. The rear can be beefed up with poly performance axles (the only aftermarket option for an fj60). I'm running 38x15.50s on a longfield front and stockers on the rear. I did the whole front axle a one time (bearings, knuckle rebuild/seal, axles, trussed, high steer, aussie locker) instead of tearing into it a couple of times to do upgrades. Before rubiton this year I'll be putting a locker and polys in the rear. I'm running a lot of torque through my system (diesel), using a moderated right foot and have not broke anything besides a homemade front driveshaft.

It sounds like you want to transform it from a multipurpose vehicle to a trail wagon. Like said there are aftermarket axle shafts to improve the durability of stock axles. I would stick with the stock ones as long as you are staying with the 2F. If you are talking about putting in a cummins or SBC, then maybe not.

I think 4.88 & 37's is a good size to go with but don't plan on going 70 down the highway. You will be at around 3000-3200 rpm at 70 mph with the stock 4 speed.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/240513-gear-calculator-microsoft-excel-download.html

I'm running the Longfield 30 Super Set with ARP, etc upgrades in the front, and tossed in the Poly Performance rears with an Aussie in the rear. Gave me a chance to rebuild everything so I know its taken care of right.
Probably stronger than Dana 60's...

Ditch the spool and get an auto locker. It will be much friendlier for a street driven rig.

37's huh for street? I have 35's on a SOA Pig and wouldn't go much larger for much street use.

If you don't dog your rig on the rocks the stock axles should be good. I've got stock and they have held up. I plan on putting Longfields or similar in at some point and will keep my stock components as trail spares.

Driving 135 miles to cruiser with a truck and tow bar just in case and I think I read that thread before Ouch!!! I hope my experirence is not like that

Do yourself a favor and get a selectable locker. The words "spool" (which I assume means welded since I have never seen a spool for a Cruiser) and "daily driver" should never be used in the same sentence.

Hey NOOB/buddy...when are you going to pick up this rig? If Pighead is off, maybe Pighead could go with?

(EDIT: Just so's you 60s guys know, I met this new NOOB when he waved me down (I'm driving the Pig of course) and he expressed appropriate awe and admiration for my rig. He asked knowledgeable questions and seems to know a bit about what he's doing. Sure, he needs some guidance and Pighead is gonna help him out as needed, slapping him if he mentions spool again. Also be inviting him to the monthlyish Sac Tuesday night out. He's also almost a neighbor. That is all.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom