Pics of my first Fab work - 8274 Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did some work with my Lincoln 140 welder, it made me want for more so I just finished my first project with my new Lincoln 215XT. This was the most fun project I've ever done! Can't wait to draw up a rear bumper. I'd like to do one with a swing away spare tire carrier and a swing away cooler carrier and incorporate this with a beefy drop tailgate.
As far as material on this 8274 bumper, I made the mounting brackets and the winch mounting plate out of .375", everything else is .250" plate, no tubing. I made it so that I could keep my old school brush guard for mounting a CB antenae and the Hi-Lift, plus I like the look. The bumper is 40" long, I think it kind of keeps the old school look.

Welded up before doing any grinding and no brackets yet.
8274 Bumper 001.jpg

Checked for fit.
8274 Bumper 006.jpg

Powdercoated and finished.
8274 Bumper 010.jpg
8274 Bumper 001.jpg
8274 Bumper 006.jpg
8274 Bumper 010.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the winch mounting plate.

8274 Bumper 005.jpg

And mounting bracket.

8274 Bumper 011.jpg
8274 Bumper 005.jpg
8274 Bumper 011.jpg

Nice, I thought you were working on my rig when I saw the first pic.:)
FJ40 002.jpg
Same OD green,white grill.:D
FJ40 002.jpg

Nice work!

Did you use Flux core wire on that? Or Flux core and Gas? Or just hardwire and gas?

How much did the powder coat job run you. I am thinkin about powdercoating mine also.

.035 hardwire with gas.

I haven't seen the powder coat bill yet, I had a guy do it that I have a very good business relationship with and totally trust him and didn't even ask the cost because I know he will be fair.

Very nice work - I like the tubing, old school look. I'm thinking of re-doing mine and dropping the small stinger. I'm doing the rear bumper and sliders next weekend so I'll wait and see what it all looks like together.
P1010193.jpg
P1010193.jpg

Gappy,

Really nice work! I like the look.
I noticed that you replaced your saginaw mounting system as well. Did you fab your own mount for the pump?
It looks similar to the mount that Luke with 4x4 Labs sells.

Gappy,

I noticed that you replaced your saginaw mounting system as well. Did you fab your own mount for the pump?

The steering was like that when I bought it, not sure of the history there.

Holy Schnikies! Nice work Tom!! You have a real talent there!

Gappy,

It looks like the mount sold by Downey. Downey Off-Road about 2/3rds down the page.

I agree, Tom. Nice work, looking forward to the rear design as well.:cheers:

Brand new tires. You need to deflower them:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Very nice work. I'm planning to use my Lincoln 215 for a similar project this summer on the rear. It's nice to have the power of the bigger welder.

One suggestion, you might want to figure out a way to secure your winch from theft. It looks like the four mounting bolts are easily accessible and standard hex head. There are bolts with a special head that requires a specific tool to remove that might work. Probably other ways to do it also.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom