85 FJ60 won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1985 FJ60
Weber 38

Truck has been in fine running order, but has not been run in over a year. Got in, wouldn't start, but would with starter fluid, so I figured carb must be gunked up. Double checked to make sure fuel was coming from fuel line upon turning it over, and it was and appeared clean.

Rebuilt carb. Placed rebuilt carb on intake after setting manufactuers suggestions on carb for reinstall, turned engine over and it ran for a few seconds on gas from fuel line then stopped. Would not restart. Starter fluid again would kick it over, but engine dies after it's all burned up.

Waited a day thinking maybe I flooded it, still same as above.

Vacuum hose was confirmed to be connected. Not sure if it actually has a vacuum...

Any suggestions from those running Webers besides switch back to stock? ;) I much appreciate the help.

I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if I missed any of the intricacies!

James Womack
San Antonio, TX

Carb, Could also remove filter ,blow air back to gas tank,reensta,l a new filter,Try to start cruiser again.If the fuel line was stopped up you may have to replace the fuel filter several more times. Mike

does the weber still use the choke? thats always the problem with mine if it wont start but will with fluid

does the weber still use the choke? thats always the problem with mine if it wont start but will with fluid

Yes, there is an automatic choke on the Weber, and that was a thought I had. I did not rebuild any of the auto choke assembly in the rebuild. All the linkage appears to be connected correctly...maybe the assembly is faulty.

Mike: My next move is going to be replace fuel lines/filter, drain tank and replace with fresh gasoline, as you recommend, and call Spector or TPI if that doesn't help. :confused:

RENAZCORACING: what would lead to low octane? Does gasoline lose octane rating if stagnant? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't higher octane rated gasoline be more resistant to detonation?

Webers are simple and reliable, your problem is most likely fuel supply. Remove the slow-speed or idle jets from the sides of the carb (one on each side, large, brass screw head) and check for contamination or crud. They are very sensative to that. If you can see fuel coming from the accelerator pump, you know you're getting fuel into the mixer. I suggest that you remove the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine to see if your fuel pump is pushing gas to the carb. Also check the weep hole under your fuel pump for traces of gas, you may have a dead pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom