Help me plan/plan for a cross country trip. Want to grab a beer and/or wheel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the background is, I got laid off the other day. Fortunately, I've saved a bunch of money and my cost of living is low (no debt, etc.) So I'm planning on taking a trip in the cruiser. Been thinking about this for a long time, so I'm going to try to take about a month and a half or two months to do it right.

Starting in New York around Mid-March, I'm going to cut south to North Carolina to see a friend of mine with the woman. Then I put her on a plane and cut west. I'll likely head through Tennessee, Arkansas, OK, through the Texas panhandle, then through colorado. Hoping to do some wheeling in the New Mexico/Colorado area. I'd like to get in a bit of snowboarding in Colorado. Then into Utah, hopefully some slick rock wheeling then into California. Will meet up with the woman in LA or SF, depending on where the route takes me and timing. Up the coast to SF, then up north to Alaska, before turning around and heading home, either through Canada or back through the U.S.

I'm going to get the cruiser in shape to do this (that's where the tech content comes in). So far I have planned:
- winch (M8000 or XD9000)
- power steering pump (been groaning, might as well replace)
- general tune-up
- brake adjustment
- repack bearings
- debating a locker (lot of cash, not sure it's necessary)
Am I missing anything obvious? I've read a number of "what should I take with me" threads, but it wouldn't hurt to hear it again.

As far as the trip itself goes, I had wanted to get to Tellico, but it looks like the park is closed and it won't work with my timing. I'm not sure what other parks are along the route (would love to do some desert wheeling, some slick rock wheeling in Utah, some mountain wheeling, and some hella norcal wheeling in the sierras.

Where are the mud guys on this board, and would you like to meet up with a yankee and wheel a bit along the way? Are there any events planned that I should try to get into? I know it sounds like I haven't put a lot of thought into it, and I haven't so far. I'm hoping to get an idea of "must see" parks, trails, and sites, and an idea of your guys' schedules, to see when and where I need to be. That'll help me put a general timeline together.

Do you guys have any general thoughts that I should keep in mind while doing this?

Thanks a bunch. I'm really looking forward to a hell of a trip and to meeting as many of you as possible, as you guys have helped me get into the truck and make it both a great ride and a great hobby.

If you are coming through Edmonton, let us know.... We're getting a bit of a club going, and I am sure we could arrange refreshments at a minimum, and some wheeling or wrenching depending on your needs. Should be able to put you in touch with good folk through Alberta, and up through NE British Columbia on your way to Alaska.

:cheers:

Cruise Moab April 26th thru May 3rd

Or just come into Durango, Board Wolf Creek, T-Ride, maybe Silverton
Take your pick on the wheeling, High Altitude Mountain Trails in the San Juans or some Rock Crawlin down around Farmington, NM.

Oh and I work in a Brewery and have 5 or 6 Cruiser Buddies, but we will all be in Moab on the above dates.

C'mon, its only like the biggest Cruiser Rally of the year....in Moab, uh Arches anyone?

EDIT: It's 29th not 26th of April

Last edited:
let me know when you get to n.california memorial day is sweet to travel the Rubicon Trail it would be a first in my new 60 and more than a 100 times on the trail

Sounds like an adventure.

What is the current specs. of your cruiser? tire size..etc..

It depends on what kind of wheeling you would like to do on the trip to justify a locker.

I am always up for some wheeling when you are in the SF bay area.

I would try and make CruiseMoab in late April if you can. That is a great event with a lot of fun wheeling and a lot of good people to meet.

Take your pick on the wheeling, High Altitude Mountain Trails in the San Juans or

x2 If you have never been to southwestern Colorado then stop in Ouray and spend the night. I don't know what the conditions will be like going through in April but there is a lot of fun wheeling around there in that area.

Last edited:
You will be a lot happier with a long trip like that if you had a fridge.

If you are coming out this way I would HIGHLY recommend Yosemite and Yellowstone. Very little wheeling in both spots but two places you do NOT want to miss.

If you are road-tripping, I would say go light on the wheeling, set your truck up for more expedition type duty, and try to bum yourself into shotgun duty for more serious wheeling.

Baltimore is only three hours from NYC, but if you find you get out of the city and need to do a little last minute wrenching - it happens - you are welcome to stop and stay at my place.

Sounds like an awesome trip. You should try and make a time line and post up in the TLCA clubs for the areas you are going through. If you come back through the states, GSMTR is June 15 - 21. Lots of good trails, camping and what not.

Dave

x2 If you have never been to southeastern Colorado then stop in Ouray and spend the night. I don't know what the conditions will be like going through in April but there is a lot of fun wheeling around there in that area.

I think you mean SouthWestern...SouthEastern is pretty flat

I think your best bet for real responses and setting up a good itinerary is going to be giving us some projected dates of what states you’re going to be in at what time. I’m in L.A. and we can take you to Death Valley if you want desert wheeling or we can take you to the Sierra’s if you want mountain wheeling (more probable because it’s cooler up there in summer.) Let us know.

Durango is a great town for sure especially if you have a :beer: hookup
I would also put Telluride on your list for CO last time I was there you could camp on the outskirts of town for super cheep.
Bridal Veil falls is amazing as well.
Have fun...I'm jealous
What other hobbies do you have? If you like to ride mountainbikes put Fruita CO on your list for the love of god! Singletrack Heaven

I'd forget the locker, considering your ventures will be long stretches of asphalt punctuated by some 4wd.

Hey, why not add a wi-fi capable laptop and digital camera to your packing plans? That way you can upload pics and stay in touch with us as you journey! How cool would that be!

Real time down time!

Rick

Get yourself a gmail account. Then go to Google Maps and map out your itinerary and then post it up. I did it when I went to Yellostone and it helped a lot to get suggestions and for other people to meet up with me.

Cruise Moab April 26th thru May 3rd

Take your pick on the wheeling, High Altitude Mountain Trails in the San Juans or some Rock Crawlin down around Farmington, NM.

Oh and I work in a Brewery and have 5 or 6 Cruiser Buddies, but we will all be in Moab on the above dates.

C'mon, its only like the biggest Cruiser Rally of the year....in Moab, uh Arches anyone?
see you there,:beer: arches is *****en. jgordon they are right..dont miss cruise moab.best of all worlds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom