Turbo 3B vs 13-BT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.practicalaquaponics.com
apart from the obvious direct injection, and the turbo, what is the difference between a 3b and a 13BT.

and is a 3B turbo still a good option? or should you stear away from them??

TIA for you help

To oversimplify yes (but there are alot of changes that go with a turbo and direct vs indriect injection), they are the same block, crank, mounts etc...

If your 3b is still in good (and I emphasize "good") condition then I would consider it. But if your 3B is getting a bit long in the tooth your better off saving your dollars and buying a low Km's import 13B-T. Some of these turbo kits are above the $3000 mark versus about 5 to 6 grand for a good low Km's 13B-T.

Your gunna get heaps of replys from people telling you that they put a turbo on their 3B (or 2H)when it had 400,000Km's on it and it still runs fine. But a 3B with a turbo is not just as good as a13B-T and never will be, they are just showing their ignorance about engine design principals. If a 3B with a turbo was just as good as a 13B-T Toyota would have saved themselves alot of time and money and just bolted a turbo to the 3B.

yeah my thoughts also (re 13bt being better), the engine has been rebuilt 30,000km's ago, by the previous owner who is a deisel mechanic at caterpilla. the engine is in a BJ73, so im not buying a motor to put into an existing cruiser otherwise i would go for the 13BT. im just curious if i should keep looking for a BJ74 or buy the turbo'd BJ73?? the only BJ74's for sale atmo are auto's, id rather the 5 speed

In the long run it would be cheaper and easier to trade to a cruiser that came from factory with a 13B-T. But then again I'm a big fan of autos, It might pay to do some research on autos, They offer alot of benefits over a manual (you never know you just might see the light too).

shed some light on these magnificent auto's then.... i have been drving an auto for the last 3 or 4 years and it is nice not to have to worry about the gear changes but they steal a bit of power dont they?

You do lose power but the good thing for offroad work is torque multiplication. Not only is it possible for you to produce more torque at the transmission input shaft then your engine puts out (to put it in simple terms it is like having a gear reduction between your engine and tranny (they multiply your torque)), but you can produce this torque with a wheel speed of zero (with a turbo it is possible to be at full boost without the wheels moving). Auto are also stronger boxes and can handle more power, they are lighter, and they reduce shock on your drive train components.

But I don't want to turn this into a manual Vs auto post, do a search, do some research, and if your are really brave start and auto Vs manual post and take cover.

Well I like autos too, but unless you put in an extreme valve body the stock A440 will heat up in the bush( the way I wheel) So I settled for a BJ74 with an H55F.

I prefer the 3B over the 13B-T. you can pickup a turbo from Truboglide (near Sydney) very reasonable, I picked one up about 6 months ago for $2200 USD and it was the best turbo I have put on a 3B yet.

Just something to consider, the 13B-T has about the same power rating as a 1HZ non turbo. They perform almost identical with an auto trans, So I think you would be even better to find a 1HZ and drop it in if your 3B is not up to the task.

Cheers,

Michael

I prefer the 3B over the 13B-T. you can pickup a turbo from Truboglide (near Sydney) very reasonable, I picked one up about 6 months ago for $2200 USD and it was the best turbo I have put on a 3B yet.

Just something to consider, the 13B-T has about the same power rating as a 1HZ non turbo. They perform almost identical with an auto trans, So I think you would be even better to find a 1HZ and drop it in if your 3B is not up to the task.

Cheers,

Michael

im not modd'ing an my cruiser but rather im looking at buying a cruiser with the turbo'd 3B already.

why do you prefere the 3B over the 13B-T? especially if you just go and turbo it anyway? you prefere IDI to DI? the higher compression? educate me...

I think the most important thing you need to be educated about is internet forums, take everything you read with a grain of salt, you have no idea who these people are and no idea of their knowledge base. The sad true of the matter is alot of people post to try and big note themselves and also alot of people will take an opposing point of view with no fact or evidence, the post purely for an argument.

Their is no way in which a turbo'd 3B is superior to a 13B-T.

my thoughts also, i couldnt agree more. but i also like to hear everyone's point of view. cos there maybe some good points in their reasoning, i prolly wont arrive at the same conclusion as them but knowledge is a good thing to have even if you dont agree with it.

So I bite on this one.

Say someone already has a good 3B and no 13B-T.

Then in the financial way the 3B is far superior to a 13B-T, since the turbo kits are much cheaper than a 13B-T.

Installation of the turbo kit is also substantially easier than pulling a 3B and installing the 13B-T.

So, my 3B with 98000KM is FAR superior to a 13B-T with 98000KM.

Have a nice day! :cheers:

I think the most important thing you need to be educated about is internet forums, take everything you read with a grain of salt, you have no idea who these people are and no idea of their knowledge base. The sad true of the matter is alot of people post to try and big note themselves and also alot of people will take an opposing point of view with no fact or evidence, the post purely for an argument.

Right, take everything with a grain of salt, you have no idea who these people are. Right back at you.

It is a matter of opinon, and all I am rendering is my opion based on owning and driving cruisers both with 3B, 3B turbo'd, and 13BT. I also agree you should check out the people posting and what they have posted in the past and how much they are into diesel cruisers. I let my posting speak for themselves.

Cheers,

Michael

"Right back at you." That's about the childish level of response I was expecting, but anyway.

You're quite right, people are free to give their opinions, and I don't disagree with the statement that you prefer a turbo'd 3B to a 13B-T, That's your opinion. I was simply stating the fact that a 13B-T is superior in everyway over a Turbo'd 3B, when it is a simple engine Vs engine comparision. There are plenty of other factors to consider in a real world situation that could effect your decision, and I agree as stated in my original post that if you already have a solid 3B then a turbo kit could be an option.

"Right back at you." That's about the childish level of response I was expecting, but anyway.

You're quite right, people are free to give their opinions, and I don't disagree with the statement that you prefer a turbo'd 3B to a 13B-T, That's your opinion. I was simply stating the fact that a 13B-T is superior in everyway over a Turbo'd 3B, when it is a simple engine Vs engine comparision. There are plenty of other factors to consider in a real world situation that could effect your decision, and I agree as stated in my original post that if you already have a solid 3B then a turbo kit could be an option.

a list of 13bt vs 3b-t differences would be great!

:beer::banana:

I think you are confusing fact with opinion. You say the 13BT is better in everyway to a 3B, that is opinion not fact, even toyota would agree that it is opinion not fact based on them making the 3BII with what they called great improvements over the 13BT at the same time as making the 13BT. It all depends on the requirements and what it is going in.

Try and find parts for a 13BT and 3B you will find worldwide 3B parts are more plentiful than 13BT if you look at production numbers again 3B has more than 13BT. That is just one aspect to look at.

Just like if you look at IDI VS DI you will have folks on both sides of that fence as well and depending on usage it has pros and cons to both.

The only issue I have is people how don't have all the facts and try to push of opinions as facts, those are the ones that should not be giving advice on MUD.

13bt or 3b... like... who cares!

as long as it gets you there and back and your happy with which one you have... :D

Side by each, in front of one another...I think they are both better then each other. Of course that depends on user application.

And...I prefer the 13BT. But I love my 3B. Is that bad?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom