Electrical Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rob Faucett

GOLD Star
Threads
So on the way home from picking up my new (to me) Snap On tool chest (and going to the super bowl party) . . .

Voltmeter goes to zero. Pegged as opposed to very low voltage.

Rig dies in traffic and I can't start it.

No power to radio or rear defrost.

+ Batt terminal is loose

Hazards, headlights & Turn indicators work.

Battery reads 10.38V (is this enough juice to start the rig?)

Jumping the rig gets it started but the battery is not charging. Runs fine.

Where do I start?

As always Thanks in Advance!!

Is this as "simple" as my alternator dyeing??

Sounds like it. If your battery is below 12V it is pretty dead. Lights might work, but the starter and ignition system draw more than that.

If it'll run off another battery from booster cables, then your battery is dead, probably because it's not being charged...

Thanks. I'll try charging the batt.

<probably because it's not being charged...>

Indicating dead Alt?

EDIT > If my batt is showing 10.4V why is my on board volt meter dead (not showing low V but dead!!); If my problem is just dead battery I would expect my on board volt meter to show the voltage from the battery!?

Last edited:
I agree the first thing is to make sure you have a good charged battery. Sounds like your battery died or alternator stop charging your battery and you drained it down to the point you couldn't even run the electronics.

The key to testing batteries is to load test them not just voltage test. I have seen plenty of batteries that show voltage around where they are supposed to but as soon as a heavy load is placed on them the increased amperage causes the voltage to drop. Take the battery to Napa and they will load test it for you. If you can get it started see what the voltage is at the battery with it running, that will give you an indication of the alternator output. I know its elementary but just my 2 cents, good luck.

Battery charger on over night and everything is back to normal. Is there a way to test whether the alt is charging the battery? Other than waiting for the battery to die again!

Thanks for your help.

Best way to alternator test it for free is to take it to an Advance Auto parts, they wheel out a tester to your car that does an alright job. It is not a foolproof method to test your alternator, but it can easily tell you if its really bad. My best suggestion is take it off your car and take it to Advance and they can bench test your alternator. Yet again this is not a 100% way to tell if its bad, but it does tell you a little before it completely fails.

Best way to alternator test it for free is to take it to an Advance Auto parts, they wheel out a tester to your car that does an alright job. It is not a foolproof method to test your alternator, but it can easily tell you if its really bad. My best suggestion is take it off your car and take it to Advance and they can bench test your alternator. Yet again this is not a 100% way to tell if its bad, but it does tell you a little before it completely fails.

HA! Closest Advance Auto Parts is in Raton, CO!!

Advance Auto Parts Locations

If you got a meter, measure the voltage at the battery while the cruiser is running. It should be around 13.5V if your alternator is working right.

Most auto part stores will check your alternator for free in the vehicle.

Thanks. Will Napa do a test that is more accurate/telling than measuring V at the battery?

Thanks. Will Napa do a test that is more accurate/telling than measuring V at the battery?

I don't know about more accurate. The meter on the battery test takes seconds and can tell you a lot. You can watch the meter and the voltage should increase some with rpms.

Thanks. I'll take a look tonight and report back.

Rob - sounds like your batt. If you need to test i have a spare Alt you can borrow. I'm just below SEattle in Burien/Normandy Park area. PM me if you need a hand. Have a couple spare batt's too if you need to test.

GL!

rob

If you pull the ALt they can test it. I believe under load as well.

Same for Batt - under load the v can change showing the batt is on it's way out...

GL!

rob

Thanks Rob. I'll take a look at the batt V tonight and get back to you. I appreciate the offer of a loaner.

Can I replace the alt even if I don't know anything?

Alt's are SUPER easy! Even i can do it. (in fact several times...)

i have some time this eve if you want to hook up - take 30 min to swap and test.

This is one area I finally have some knowledge and can help with! yay! hehehe.

To remove Alt (assuming stock and FJ60).
1. loosen tensioner bolt
2. loosen belt, and remove from pulley.
3. Disconnect plug and wire to Batt terminal.
4. Remove bolt at bottom of alt.

At this point you should have the Alt in your hand. Need maybe a couple sockets and a box end to hold the bolt at bottom as you remove.

GL!

rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom