92 not starting.....sometimes... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
its a 92, 234k

heres the prob, in the morning, or after its been sitting for a few hours, it starts fine, but if i shut it off after ive been driving, it wont start, it cranks and all that, but just wont start, like its not gettin any fuel, but like i said it only does it when its hot.

also, when its doing this (not starting and all) the "check engine" light doesnt come on, when its cold and starts fine, that light comes on and then goes off after a couple seconds

i just had my pops take off the coil wire to see if it was gettin spark to the coil and its not, so obviously its an electrical issue, but i have no idea why it wouldnt be getting spark when i try to start it when its hot

this ones got my brain all twisted up, any help would be awesome guys thanks

turner

Last edited:
ive searched, maybe im stupid, but i couldnt find anything about anyone else having a similar problem

and again im pretty sure that its not a fuel problem cause its not gettin spark when this prob occurs, i just dont know why

thanks again
turner

Have a look here:
http://gclcny.com/jh/images/Strife/3FE EFI Diag.pdf

This should get you on the right path or at least help you eliminate some possibilities.

I just realized I had edited and updated this document but failed to upload it. It is now up to date.

Last edited:
This is a pretty common problem on 91-92's. Something causes the EFI relay to overheat which renders it useless.

Keep a spare EFI relay in the glovebox. The next time this happens, just swap out the relay and you'll be good to go.

Keep in mind, though, the relay will be HOT.

welcome

Jon has a good read with the link above...
Search EFI relay or no start when hot...

Lots of us have been down this road, let us know what you find.

There is a permanent fix involving swapping in some thicker wires.

There used to be a write-up here (link not good anymore):

http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/tech/efi_relay.html

But basically (pulled this from a search):

There is a 12 gauge wire, yellow with a red tracer that goes from the EFI relay to EB1. EB1 is the first connector about 12 inches from the EFI relay, that one needs to be changed to 10 gauge.
There is a 12 gauge wire, red with a yellow tracer that goes from the EFI fuse to the EFI relay, that needs to be changed to 10 gauge.

I did this about 8 years ago. It's not too bad if you have some basic wiring skills.

There is a permanent fix involving swapping in some thicker wires.
Permanent, maybe not for everyone...

There is a 12 gauge wire, yellow with a red tracer that goes from the EFI relay to EB1. EB1 is the first connector about 12 inches from the EFI relay, that one needs to be changed to 10 gauge.
There is a 12 gauge wire, red with a yellow tracer that goes from the EFI fuse to the EFI relay, that needs to be changed to 10 gauge.

I did this about 8 years ago. It's not too bad if you have some basic wiring skills.

I remember posting that, and even after the fancy rewire, my EFI problem came back again.
Others, maybe in cooler climates, have had this issue resolved by the rewire.

My next step was to relocate the EFI relay to the inside of the cab were it is much much cooler. Problem solved.

Pigtail solution to the hot EFI relay.

Keep in mind that a failing EFI relay may or may not be the issue here. THis could be as simple as a bad fusible link or as expensive as a failing igniter. Both of which can become intermittant.

Correct... as this thread maybe getting ahead of post #1.

appreciate all the help guys, i had someone whos better at searching and way more patient than me search the site and came up with all the info that you guys have posted, that being said, i got a new relay, plugged it in, havent had a problem since. i also kept the old relay (which is still good when its not hot) and it now resides in my glovebox. ill def keep the wire swap in mind if it happens again and relocation of the relay sounds like a pretty good idea too.

anyhow thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom