65 FJ45 MINOR alternator upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DomSmith

SILVER Star
Threads
My 65 FJ45 (30 AMP) alternator is giving out (NAPA says 5 Amp output) so I need to replace/rebuild it. I'm NOT looking for big AMPS. This thing putts around town and may go on a few camping trips. I'm adding an amp for some IPOD tunes but that is about it. It's all stock and I want to keep it quite close (read: Toyota Alternator).

I've searched the FAQ's and seen a bunch of threads on 10si's, 12si's, SOR's 55 AMP replacement, etc. but am hoping I can just drop an early 70's 40 AMP alternator in and call it good.

I'm going to add a solid state voltage regulator at the same time.
(https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/95862-solid-state-replacement-mech-voltage-regulator.html)

Anyone swapped newer F (or 2F) alternators into these older rigs? I want one that fits in the stock location with the stock mount.

It has stock ignition/dizzy/coil...

If I missed a post in my last 8 hours of searching please torch me, then send me in the right direction.

:beer:

You need to watch your wiring and amp gauge. They are only designed for 30amp alternator.

Got that. I was thinking I could swap in a 40 AMP gauge and thought the 40 AMP maximum output wouldn't be too much for the wiring on the 65....

I think that if all you want to gain is about 10A in output, any competent auto-electric shop can do that with your stock case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom