GSMTR 09 June 15th-21st (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
GSMTR Registration click here

18th Annual Great Smokey Mountain Trail Ride

Tellico OHV

Yes is it time to start planning for this event. Actually we started before the last one was done. So mark you calendars now. Go ahead and tell the boss you need these dates off.

Format will be similar to the way it has been in the past.

Going to be a big turnout this year. Expecting over 200 vehicles and 300 people.

Thanks. PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
I am in...for Thursday - Sunday and i already got a small cabin at Crawfords....as the wife is coming :)

For anyone who didn't check the calendar I posted awhile back, this is the "official" trail ride for June. I think everyone should try and make this ride, as Upstate puts a lot of work into planning it. This should be a big turnout for the first GSMTR as an official club.

My Birthday weekend - I'm planning on it!!

:beer: R

Out of curiousity, why a big turnout this year? It seems like last year they debating cancelling due to lack of prepaids. I know fuel was killing that last year, but I wonder about economy this year.
But hey, as of now, I have NO reason not to go. :) I may actually go for a whole week....never done that before.

This is going to be a tough decision for me this year. I've had Rubithon on my list again this year and GSMTR being the same weekend makes some re-thinking. The labor of driving across the country to enjoy the bliss of the Rubicon trail countered by the relative ease of driving to Crawford's to check out the local terrain.

Honestly, its kind of a no brainer since doing Rubithon is going to be a stretch for me but I just can't let it go yet...

i'll be there with family. We got a small cabin at crawfords reserved wednesday night - saturday night.

Last edited:
I'll definitely be there for my 11th GSMTR! Wouldn't miss it.

Just want to thank those who are coming. I don't think you will be disappointed.

FL, SC, NC have had low numbers in the past few GSMTR's. That will change with this one. UC should easily have 50 registrants this year and at least another possible 25 from y'all and 25 from Florida. That's 100 right there. Add that to the 100 or so that already attend GSMTR every year and you can easily see how 200 is possible. Plus we have easily 20 members helping put the event together and another 30 or so volunteers willing to help during the event. Couple that with a sponsorship team who is expecting 100-200 sponsors for the event.

We have a lot of new things this year that I think will help draw people in.

More advertising.

A huge sponsor list to make the raffle this year something like no other (even in this economy).

A restructuring of the registration. Everyone wanted the a la carte.

Changing the date so it can become more of a family event. Next year it will not be same time as this year. Most likely be early June. We did it in late June to accommodate some of the STLCA members who are doing some consulting for us during the event.

A lot of new events for the week along with some of the usual favorites. Rock crawling comp (blind, classes 1,2, &3, kids crawling (we have something special planned)) tug-o-war (that's with vehicles not people) Movie night (have yet to decide but we will have a big screen TV to show either wheeling stuff or movies for the kids), sponsors exposition, rafting, drinks night (Metal Tech usually steps up in a big way and this is a night where we cater to you), BBQ one night and huge raffle and auction. We will also work on making sure the kids stay occupied. We have yet to finalize this but we are going to try to have a camp for them during a couple days so the parents can get out and have a little trail me time. Probably have a yard sale event so you can bring your crap and everyone can get some good deals.

We are planning on having better Wi-Fi and it be available in more places. Also plan on having the event live on MUD or at least some of it.

We also will most likely have all chapter presidents from Florida, Georgia, SC, NC &TN all together as well as some other TLCA chapters. I'd like to get them all together one day during the event and sit down and talk about TLCA and what they are doing that works and get to know each other. I think this is key in getting the chapters involved and forming a strong bond with TLCA to make sure the eastern part of the US is well in their minds.

We also have planned to have some tech classes. Setting up third members, lockers, t-cases, recovery, come to mind.

Assuming we can pull this all off I think you will easily see why we have had to put a cap on this years event. Wheeling and meeting new Toyota friends should be the main reason you should be coming. But if that isn't enough I'm sure the other stuff will make up for it.

Looking forward to seeing y'all there.

Greg is it time for me to pay ONSC dues?

Marshall, sounds like you all have really gathered alot of information and are going to have a pretty informative and exciting event this year, and on top of all of that one for the whole family. If I can assist in any way let me know.

As for dues, we will be sending out emails to all our current members about renewals shortly, I haven't really had such a great start to the year and am just now getting back in line with everything so hopefully by the first week of February we will be up to par on the organizational side of things.

I would like to pass this information on to our local Toyota dealer to see what opportunities they might like to offer as possible raffle items or what not, do you see any problems with that?

Facilities

:princess: wants to know the showers and toilet scenario. Marshall, can you elaborate?

Raymond,

I would on a scale of 1-10, say the bathhouses at Crawfords are a 8-9, very clean and very well maintained. I can't speak for the parks system though, always stayed at Crawfords.....can't be any worse than wheee though, right?

:princess: wants to know the showers and toilet scenario. Marshall, can you elaborate?

What you need to tell her.

Two separate bath houses with private individual bathing facilities (hot private showers). They are nice, each bathroom has it's own shower and toilet and sink as well as a lock on the door. They are not small and are cleaned frequently. I believe there are 8 of them. They are at both ends.

What you need to know and not tell her until the day of the trip. Bring flip flops and some extra towels. It is a public facility and while they clean it very and frequently there is no way of telling who just used it. Also there are numerous port-a-jons around the area for those that don't really care where we crap or piss. Bring a bag that you can put toilet paper and a small towel or something in the big bathrooms. You can use it to wipe anything down you think to make you feel better. Toilet paper they provide is standard issue cheap.

If she doesn't like that :princess: then I'd look into a cabin there and if those are full might start working your way out. We will soon have on the site available cabins in the area or at least places to look. Working on discounts for registered folks.

If you want more detail call Danny at Crawfords. He will fill you in. He is very honest. 828-837-9077

I'm off the fence now and have put Rubithon '09 to bed, committing to GSMTR '09. Talked with the family and this year seems to make much more sense to stay local.

But, that also meant making a cabin reservation so all my girls will be happy. Luckily, I got one thanks to Marshall's post which inspired me to make the call. I'm really looking forward to this event since I'm a GSMTR virgin and its long overdue for me to have attended one...

Man I've heard about this event and was itching to go, but I already have a house paid for at OBX for the EXACT week... It's right after school lets out.

I hope to start getting together with you guys / gals soon! (As long as the wife and two boys can come, LOL)

I'm contemplating trying to make this trip and the :princess: has ok'd it for now.

What is the rule of thumb with pets? Sounds like there will be a lot of people and vehicles to worry about having your dog running around.

Lots of dogs last year. One guy lost his as well. Seems like at every obstacle where we were watching, some were one or more folks with dogs running about.

Dogs seemed to love it.

Hmmm I got so much stuff going on but I really want to at least make it out Friday night even if that will only leave saturday for wheeling..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom