85 FJ60 Submerged (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last spring I was crossing a river when the ice I was driving on under water gave way instantly leaving my FJ60 helpless and submerged. It remained submerged until the following day when I was able to find someone to help retrieve it. Once on dry land I drained a large amount of water from the engine, gas tank (No gas cap!), and other running gear. It started right up and ran perfectly on the 45 minute trip back home. The following day it wouldn't stay running without the choke and it ran extremely rough below 1500rpms. It has been this way ever since. I've rebuilt the carb, changed the fuel filter, and checked all over for vaccum leaks but I've come up with nothing. I've been thinking about buying a weber carburator which would help me eleminate alot of the vaccum lines but will that really fix my problem?

Don't succumb to the "Weber is my answer" idea: the Aisin can be made to run better than the Weber ever will. JimC on this board is the God of Aisins - search & you'll find lots about/from him. PM him with your info above & get his take.

I'd check the distributor and wires for corrosion (or even silt, depending on the river)

Could be electrical related. The emmisions controller messing with the idle cut solenoid.

Don't succumb to the "Weber is my answer" idea: the Aisin can be made to run better than the Weber ever will. JimC on this board is the God of Aisins - search & you'll find lots about/from him. PM him with your info above & get his take.

I beg to differ. The Weber is an excellent carb if you have the know-how to set it up. NEVER floods, great power, available parts, eliminates 52 miles of vacuum lines, sensors, relays, etc. I ran one on a Toyota pickup and on my 2F when I still had it and niether one of the stock carbs could hold a candle to the Webers that replaced them. This is especially true if you are going to run a header or use other performance enhancements on your motor. If you're not familiar with carb tuning, this might not be the thing for you, but if you are, you'll love it.

If it hasn't already been done I'd start with a complete electrical tune-up. Install all new, quality parts: cap, rotor, plug cables, plugs.

Pull apart each electrical connector in the ignition system and inspect for moisture.

Add some gasoline dryer to the fuel tank, or preferably, drain the tank and fill with new fuel - Then add the dryer to catch any water in the lines.

I beg to differ. The Weber is an excellent carb if you have the know-how to set it up. NEVER floods, great power, available parts, eliminates 52 miles of vacuum lines, sensors, relays, etc. I ran one on a Toyota pickup and on my 2F when I still had it and niether one of the stock carbs could hold a candle to the Webers that replaced them. This is especially true if you are going to run a header or use other performance enhancements on your motor. If you're not familiar with carb tuning, this might not be the thing for you, but if you are, you'll love it.

Never floods- maybe on flat ground.

I ran one on my mini wheeler for awhile, it was fine until you actually went wheeling.

Anyway back on topic, I would suspect its something other than fuel related. Being submerged you probally have a sigifigant amout of water damage (corrosion)to the wiring, and any of the relays.

Never floods- maybe on flat ground.

I ran one on my mini wheeler for awhile, it was fine until you actually went wheeling.

Anyway back on topic, I would suspect its something other than fuel related. Being submerged you probally have a sigifigant amout of water damage (corrosion)to the wiring, and any of the relays.

You obviously had that setup incorrectly, or had it mounted 180 degrees off with the fuel inlet towards the rear. I would have been standing on the tailgate before mine ever coughed. It's all in the setup.

LThe following day it wouldn't stay running without the choke and it ran extremely rough below 1500rpms.
If the problem is in the carburetor, it is either a plugged up idle jet, or an inoperative ICS.

I would highly suspect that your problem is electrical and corrosion-related. Corrosion probably set in a day or two after she came out of the water, so it makes sense that you could drive home and the problem started later.

You obviously had that setup incorrectly, or had it mounted 180 degrees off with the fuel inlet towards the rear. I would have been standing on the tailgate before mine ever coughed. It's all in the setup.

Dude its totally off topic, however you are the man. You rock you are king of the weber :insertbigthumbsuphere:

Where are the action shots of your rig in action with its, amazing ability to drive up nearly vertical terrian. With of course you standing on the tailgate.

Mine of course would have fuel dump out of the bowl flooding, in precarious offcamber situations, or akward offcamber hill climbs. If I was to do it again I should have built a efi rig

i'd check the dizzy, oh and i bet you my land cruiser i could get that m'fxxxer to flood...

did you take any pictures of it submerged? Seriously? I like to look at carnage.

Pretty rad that you drove it home. Did that same thing with an 80 that I hydrolocked.. pull the plugs and crank the water out.. put them back in and get it home.

Start with all grounds,dist,all elec. spray down with elec cleaner.carb diasmble and clean. MIke

Theres always water lurking around in the fuel system that reoccurs to reek havoc.......

as in the c-canister, tank sump and emission plumbing.......

Starter, alternator, smog pump, pilot and throw-out bearings are usually short lived as well on flood victims.....

Alright, lets not hate on the weber guy. If it worked for him, it worked for him. I know that a weber out of the box will probably run better than my Aisan right now. (yeah, I said it)

So back to the thread...

Pretty much what everybody else said water + engines + electrical=mucho badness. Just start going through all that was mentioned above and eventually it will fix itself. I woudl start with the grounds, dizzy, etc.

Where are everyone's manners ? First post and just joined yesterday ?

:flipoff2: (newbie salute)

I probably don't have enough posts here to officially welcome you, but what the heck.

I bet that river crossing was quite a ride ... how deep was it ?

I have a Weber 38 carb and love it. Electric choke, toss the vacuum lines, and I was half-*** desmogged so I threw the rest of that away too. It has never been a problem on a trail for me.

But... It sounds like your problem could definitely be other places before you shell out $$$.

First, let me say that I know several people that run Webers and are very happy with them. I think they are fine carbs.
However, there are a lot of misconceptions about them. Most of these seem to stem from people pulling a *tired* 30 year old Aisin off, bolting on a *brand new* Weber, and feeling a real difference. I'm pretty sure switching from a 30 year old Aisin to a 30 year old Weber would be less than impressive. The Weber is actually a smaller carb than the Aisin and when an Aisin is *properly* rebuilt, they kick out plenty of power and are incredible off-camber.
Also, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO DITCH THE AISIN TO DITCH THE MILES OF VACUUM TUBING! There are plenty of great de-smog threads and websites that retain the Aisin. I've done it myself, and I was very pleased with the result.
Once again- I AM NOT TRASHING WEBERS OR WEBER USERS, but they are often compared to unrebuilt, or poorly rebuilt Aisins, and I think some incorrect conclusions are often drawn from this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom