How much of my floorpan to cut out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.octagonmma.com
Should I just replace this obvious little area or is there a more clever way to do this that I should know about? Also how do you deal with laying the new sheet metal over the tub support? Does it get tacked to it underneath the tub? I've cut along the support, but didn't finish as I used a sawzall and couldn't make tight cuts......probably will use a small cutting wheel on my 90 degree IR air grinder. Panel to the left is thicker than under the seat, and must be a replacement panel. I have preliminarily outlined the section to remove with some Neat-O looking dots...:D

IMG_0117.jpg

I'm thinking of sandblasting the tub, priming it, and lining with linex or the like. Outside gets rattle can. I'm keeping this rig a loooooong time so patch these spots, blast away the surface rust and old paint, use a self etching primer that will get down into the seams, and prime it?

Last edited:
Well, if gas prices keep going back up, you'll have a good start on a Fred Flintstone vehicle.

Now really........Im looking at doing the same soon. (re-panel). So I'LL be watching this thread for ideas

C

That looks like a good option. I had to take a lot more out of mine and the things I looked at when deciding where to cut were...

1. Getting rid of all questionable metal
2. keeping the cuts simple, same for the welds
3. maintaining the structural rigidity

I replaced the frame mount on mine as well under the floor pan as the it made the whole panel stronger and created an easier piece to work with.

Just make sure you get all the bad stuff. Short of buying a floor panel w/ridges in place (best long term asthetic) simply cut ur patch panel 1 rch large than the hole, tack corners and work in. Be sure to let metal cool to reduce distortion. Once ur welded up, grind baby grind to get a smooth seam and heavy on the linex texture. Gonna make round up?

Grind the panel drill out the spot welds and remove the old piece . Fit the new piece , trace the outline of the support from the bottom side then drill the new patch so you can plug weld the support back to the floor . You could use weldable primer on the underside of the new patch and the topside sill of the support before you weld it for a little more protection.

Roundup

Just make sure you get all the bad stuff. Short of buying a floor panel w/ridges in place (best long term asthetic) simply cut ur patch panel 1 rch large than the hole, tack corners and work in. Be sure to let metal cool to reduce distortion. Once ur welded up, grind baby grind to get a smooth seam and heavy on the linex texture. Gonna make round up?

Unless you can help wire in my 350, plumb the fuel delivery system, plumb the brakes, install the Saginaw kit and weld patches, the only Roundup this year for me is in the Gardening section at Lowe's............I'm short on knowledge and the expert is short on time so there's an impasse. Of course, I suppose I could hitch a ride with someone there though. Really I could make it with help, I just don't want to F up the Saginaw frame cutting, and I could muddle through the engine wire up and plumb in, brakelines........I have the components just sitting there!!!!
:idea:

There's still time for any Dallas/Ft.Worth Mudders to come help. I pay in smoked babyback ribs and beer of your choice.

Alex

I think we should have the February LSLC meeting at ur place! Would your neighbors mind 15 trucks parked in the drive? Unfortunately, I have zero experience on the Saginaw....guess I could learn on yours so mine doesn't get hacked!
Seriously, there is debate on LSLC meeting locations on Lone Star site...post up a wrenching meeting in February to get u to round up. Nobody will pass up free beer and bbq

That's a good idea.....they can park on the street and I can get 'em fed and watered. I'll post up on LSLC.

i did mine a while back, just cut the whole thing out, its fun forming up a new floor pan... good welding experience too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom