3 wheeler to 4 wheeler conversion...pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBen

SILVER Star
Threads
So my bro-in-law picked up a Honda 250r 4 wheeler cheap off of craigslist. Got it home and its fast as hell, rides/drives nice but something isn't quite right. Searching and searching I find out its a 3 wheeler ATC250r converter to a 4 wheeler.

quite the frakenbastard but it looks ok and rides really nice. What would you do? Find a 4 wheeler frame and move everything over or just right ride the ugly bastard?

100_0584.jpg

100_0586.jpg

Yeah, it was odd for sure, but it really rides good and is pretty unique for sure. :lol: It has scary power :eek:

Apparently the 250r 3 wheelers had more power than the 250r 4 wheelers. Honda detuned them for some reason( legal?) I'll probably keep it as it was really cheap and is actually pretty clean.

I found the old manual for the conversion. You can apparently still get this kit, some Old stock but it's like $1,500 :eek:

I'll just be happy and ride the fugly thing racing the newer quads and beating them :lol:

More power? yikes. I've ridden a TRX250R and it had plenty of get up and go.

Looks like yours in way above average shape, I'm jealous.

More power? yikes. I've ridden a TRX250R and it had plenty of get up and go.

Looks like yours in way above average shape, I'm jealous.

yeah, apparently 85-86 ATC250r's had 38hp at the crank. NOt bad for something 20+ years old. Add some pipes/reeds and porting and it will move!

You think the stock 250r is fast, we had CR500 2 stroke motor put in a three wheeler, a built ktm 500 and a kx500 motor in a tecate in my group back int the late 80's now that was fast. I was going to do the same, bought a cr500 but lopped it real fast on a sand hill . ended up on my back and the bike was 20 feet up the hill. Needless to say the 250 motor stayed with a bit of porting.

Wow, a CR500 would be meeeeean!

Here's a small update. Been pulling parts, cleaning/adjusting/greasing. Cranked the preload all the way up on the rear shock as I'm 6'4" 200lbs

I found some a rear fender in great shape for $20. Should be here in a week or so. Upper cap plastics should be showing up this week. Cleaned the carb (it was really clean) and topped all fluids. She started within a few kicks after I put the carb back on.

Still needs new grips and new handlebars. They are fairly straight now, but I'd prefer a bit better. I might put on some roost guards just to help it look "somewhat" better.

I put two Hella lights I had on just to see. I kinda has a Psuedo Polaris "scrambler" look to it now. I don't know if it can power them or not, but I'll find out. I think it's looking better from when I first saw it. :confused:

pic from craigslist: BEFORE
250r.jpg

as of last night
quatc1.jpg

quatc2.jpg

its like it needs some sort of cover around the downtube. whether you can get one or not may be another story.

its like it needs some sort of cover around the downtube. whether you can get one or not may be another story.

Yup, you are correct. I found the piece Maier still makes it. It's cheap and on the way. It's like $20. Should be here tomorrow. Here's a pic of a pretty nice version of the same thing.
DSC06149.JPG

Here's the latest, not much other than the Maier upper hood piece. It's all shiny and the rest is dull. Not sure how to fix that, but it's looking a little more complete. Next up the rear fender hopefully in a week or two when it shows up.

PIC_0076.jpg

PIC_0075.jpg

Here's the latest, not much other than the Maier upper hood piece. It's all shiny and the rest is dull. Not sure how to fix that,

a little sand paper will knock that new shiny off real quick ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom