Alternator Diode. How do I replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can I just replace the diodes? Or do I have to replace the entire alternator? I have the dimly lit brake light thingy and low voltage. I am not an expert here and would appreciate any advice on where I can order replacement diodes and wether it is worth ot to do that or just rebuild my alt.

Thanks,

-Paul

You can replace the diodes, but to be totaly honest, it's best to take it to an alternator shop and have them do it. You have to be very careful soldering diodes as the heat from soldering is enough to destroy them. For what it costs, just find a re-build shop. Have them replace ALL the diodes at once even if some of them still test good, or you will be in the same boat later when the next one goes.

I couldn't crack my 60's alt open to change the brushes, but here are the main components & unless the windings are fried, you can rebuild one using a few simple tools: bearings, armature, windings, brushes, & diodes.

I worked with a bunch of ex-Detroit automotive engineers once & 1 of the electrical techs chastised me for wanting to buy a rebuilt Bosch alternator. He said "do it yourself". I ordered the parts from a good automotive electrical shop & it was easy - took 1-2 hours. All you need is a gear/bearing puller, an electronics soldering iron (not the Weller pistol kind), a brass mallet, & some fine sandpaper.

I solved that problem with a GM (with lifetime warranty). Also there's a thread about a one wire alternator which seems to work very well.

I solved that problem with a GM (with lifetime warranty). Also there's a thread about a one wire alternator which seems to work very well.

Be happy you don't have a diesel. The 3B alternator has a vacuum pump on the back of it. Can't just do a simple swap like that!

Be very careful if you swap out your diodes, that you don't over heat them while soldering them in.

Be happy you don't have a diesel. The 3B alternator has a vacuum pump on the back of it. Can't just do a simple swap like that!

Take that a step further, have you seen the Toyota rebuid kit for the vacuum pump? Looks like an O-ring ranch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom