Looking or ideas on enclosed/teardrop style off road trailers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I am in the planning stages of an off road trailer build. I am used to sleeping in the truck or in a tent, but my girlfriend has higher standars than me. Beings though my trip plans for this summer will be 2-4 weeks at a times and I figure I am going to need something "livable". I have looked at converting a popup trailer, but do not like the weak interior designs.

So I was wondering if you guys have some pics, specs, designs, links, etc. for me to get some ideas from. I was figuring just a cooking space, colapsable bed/changing dining area, and I already think I have a cool design for colapsable shower/crapper.

I have looked at a few teardrops on mitchellforums(SP), but most of them seem like they could maybe handle a dirt road. I was looking for something a bit beefier and running 33" along with my FJ60.

Thanks.

Yeah I have checked out both of those links. Very informative. I think I was thinking more of a narrower body to allow the tires to be fully outside to allow for bigger tires. Honestly I havent put that much thought into it. I am guessing that woul leave a very narrow area to sleep. I just really like the ideas of these, but wonder how well they would do on certain terrain.

Any pics of what some of these teardrops can handle?

Yeah I have checked out both of those links. Very informative. I think I was thinking more of a narrower body to allow the tires to be fully outside to allow for bigger tires. Honestly I havent put that much thought into it. I am guessing that woul leave a very narrow area to sleep. I just really like the ideas of these, but wonder how well they would do on certain terrain.

Any pics of what some of these teardrops can handle?

umm, Baja?

Tires are fully outside the compartment - just click deeper into the website: http://www.outbackteardrop.com/maiden/m23.jpg

Check out this Funked up teardop. 2 Part molded Polyethylene construction. "The Pod" belongs to a friend of mine who was nice enough to lend it to me
for Surf & Turf 06. Custom drop axle added along with a pintle hitch. Looks pretty star trek, not that there is anything wrong with that. The thing is bloody awesome, light weight plastic construction, rear hatch with cooking space/ sink/ cooler pocket.
No idea who was making em but it just happened there was another one just like it at S&T albeit not lifted
or pintled. The guy's eyes popped out when he saw another "Pod" and was ogling the off road mods.

I have dibs on the Pod if my buddy sells it.
Nanu Nanu....Live long and prosper
Pismo basecamp.jpg

the pod is pretty cool, i wonder who makes them?

I haven't see this on the teardrop forum before.

Go through this page and you will find all sort of good designs.
Popup Times - The One Stop for Pop UP Campers

We pull our trailer across 2wd dirt roads but most places we go wheeling, we camp in a central place and can drop the trailer. I am not interested in taking any trailer across Golden Spike or the like. At that point, I just pack a tent.

http://67.122.16.97/lars/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=trailmanor

IMG_3173.sized.jpg

IMG_2477S.sized.jpg

If you are creative, lots of features can be packed in.
DSC00233_001.sized.jpg

Hard wall bath collapses
DSC00232_001.sized.jpg

These are cool too and light but you can't go off pavement.
Tab-rv.com - T@B Microlite teardrop RV travel trailer campers - Tab
Or something even smaller but it's just a bed.
Little Guy Teardrop Trailers - Home

teardrop camper look look

Guys here's the deal I own S&R campers an exclusive teardrop camper dealer in Dallas tx. I think the only one in the state check ou S-R-Sales.com 1000.00 off or more to all of you perfect to put taller tires on to wheel with enjoy camping very light weight pull with a hybrid if you want I even have them in real tree camo with utility trailors built in on front to carry 4 wheelers etc. you guys will love these loaded lil campers ac/dc power you name it cusom or basic 4,5, and 6 ft wide that's a king size mattress inside !!! or email me at wownewhomes@yahoo.com

As an option, you could look at taking a pop-up trailer, strengthening the framing for it, do a SUA for taller tire clearance, and have a full size when open camper for you and your higher standard girlfriend. You would need to be able to stabilize it when setup and to have a staircase to get into it, but all that is minimal to the amount of work and cost to do such a thing. Or you can transfer the pop-box to your custom frame to do the same basic thing.

I made my own frame by taking a USM101 trailer frame, added a tongue from a boxed boat trailer, used the stock leafs but added Dexter 3500# axle with parking and electric brakes. I then added a light weight sleeper box for a pickup bed from Quicksilver.

100_3327.jpg

100_3485.jpg

100_3779.jpg

100_4092.jpg

100_4102.jpg

100_4398.jpg

I had to do this for a couple of reasons. Need for 3 people and 2 separate sleep areas for daughter, son and myself, no wider than 70" max due to the storage gate opening, lightweight due to the 4cyl TJ pulling it, and compact for minimal wind resistance. Quicksilver has recently come out with another small design camper for motorcycles. You could look at those type of campers to use as well on a frame. The Quicksilver has some drawbacks that I thought I could accept but won't, so it's up for sale as I'm looking to put something like this together on my frame.

foldupcamper1a.jpg

foldupcamper1b.jpg

Go through this page and you will find all sort of good designs.
Popup Times - The One Stop for Pop UP Campers

We pull our trailer across 2wd dirt roads but most places we go wheeling, we camp in a central place and can drop the trailer. I am not interested in taking any trailer across Golden Spike or the like. At that point, I just pack a tent.

Lars' Web Gallery :: TrailManor

IMG_3173.sized.jpg

IMG_2477S.sized.jpg

If you are creative, lots of features can be packed in.
DSC00233_001.sized.jpg

Hard wall bath collapses
DSC00232_001.sized.jpg

That's a cool trailer. I've never seen anything like it. It's got a lot of room expanded.

Michael

I doubt that its made for off road work. Not sure what kind of off road work you are thinking of but something tells me the Starcraft type pop up isn't what you are thinking about.

A little tougher approach might be the Adventure trailer

Adventure Trailers - Off Road Trailers & Overland Equipment

STARCRAFT RV - Folding Camping Trailers - 13RT Highlights

The adventure trailer will go anywhere you can get to...the starcraft will not. it's best suited for established campgrounds and mildly rough roads. anything remotely rough and the thing will begin to shake apart.
I have an 11RT...I will not take it on rough roads anymore if I can avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom