All Purpose FJ60 Expedition Rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well since I finally have enough vehicles laying around its time to do something with them. I have a 1990 FJ62 and a 1983 FJ60 that I want to turn into an expedition rig I can camp/hunt/wheel in.

I have always liked the idea of turning a 60 into a crewcab with a flatbed. So that is where I am heading. During my research I found the Aussie company Creative conversions and like the product they turn out. Below is a picture of a rig I found on Mud.

Has anyone in the US completed a build like this before? And how much can I extend the FJ60 length and still be able to get around it tight areas. They extend the vehicle anywhere from 18 to 29 inches. I am looking at running 36's. Thanks.

Last edited:
Oops, I was trying to say I am looking at running 36" tires. I was thinking about 20" to the wheel base which appears to be the shorter one that Creative Conversions uses.

I hope that clears things up.

500mm is about 19.6 inches. So on average they do extensions from 20in. to 22in. Just a thought, you might want to consider the length you wish to have your truck's back to be, and measure against the space you have when chopping off the rear of your Cruiser and then seeing how much frame you have just to determine whether or not you NEED to chop the frame, you might just need to make an extension. HOWEVER, you run into rear over hang issues and length problems when doing turns in tight spaces. I would say it might be better to just stick with your stock length, and go with a slightly wider back, but you might find other uses for a slightly longer wheelbase.

I was trying to keep the overhang to a minimum so I wouldn't get hung up on it. That is why I was thinking about extending the wheel base and then cutting the frame down at the rear axle rear hanger.

Ah, so that means you're looking for something like that new Hummer H3T, but actually works and won't get recalled anytime soon, eh? Then something reasonable like, a half foot to 8 inches of wheel base stretch and then keeping the frame from behind the shackle back and adding no more than the frame length or maybe 2 inches at most should get you something closer to what you're looking for, and having say, a 6 foot wide back and about the same length or so from just behind the back seats back (from my measurements of my non chopped cruiser) to just beyond where the tailgate drops should net you a 6' x 6' bed, about 116" wheelbase or so (with an 8 inch wheelbase stretch), decently stock looking looks, and a practically sized back. Just a note though, this is all based on theory, lots of maths, and some random legal paper sketches I did. It might be about what you're looking for, but still has a slight rear overhang because you're using leaf springs. Now, if you use Coils from say, an 80 rear end, full floater, and air bags, you could possibly get a longer wheelbase and shorter over hang with the same overall length. Just thought I'd throw the Coils + Air bags idea out there, since you wanted to keep over hangs short.

That sounds pretty close to where I want to be. I am starting the build this weekend so I should be able to get a better idea of how much of the 60 I will have after cutting it down and that will let me look at how much I will need to get a 6ft bed.

And on the note of Coils and Airbags, you must think I have mad skills or something when it comes to fabing. I am still kind of a novice and that is one reason I am going with the SOA and also for cost. I really want to get this on the road by spring so I am trying to keep this from becoming to big of a project. I do want to put 80 lockers in my 60 someday so that will come soon.

That sounds pretty close to where I want to be. I am starting the build this weekend so I should be able to get a better idea of how much of the 60 I will have after cutting it down and that will let me look at how much I will need to get a 6ft bed.

And on the note of Coils and Airbags, you must think I have mad skills or something when it comes to fabing. I am still kind of a novice and that is one reason I am going with the SOA and also for cost. I really want to get this on the road by spring so I am trying to keep this from becoming to big of a project. I do want to put 80 lockers in my 60 someday so that will come soon.

I didn't know how much of the build you were going to do yourself, so I suggested the Coils + Airbags idea. Sounds like it's going to be one hell of a truck. And I personally think 6 ft. is about the minimum length the back of a truck should be. Sounds like it's going to be a wild and crazy ride. :grinpimp:

No worries, I am just glad to finally have all the parts I need to complete a project.

I haven't been wheeling since my old truck blew its tranny in 2005. I am jonesing hard to go to Cruise Moab this year with a pretty cool truck.

:cheers:

Well since I finally have enough vehicles laying around its time to do something with them. I have a 1990 FJ62 and a 1983 FJ60 that I want to turn into an expedition rig I can camp/hunt/wheel in.

I have always liked the idea of turning a 60 into a crewcab with a flatbed. So that is where I am heading. During my research I found the Aussie company Creative conversions and like the product they turn out. Below is a picture of a rig I found on Mud.

Has anyone in the US completed a build like this before? And how much can I extend the FJ60 length and still be able to get around it tight areas. They extend the vehicle anywhere from 18 to 29 inches. I am looking at running 36's. Thanks.

that is a nice rig, is this the fj62 (Pictured), what is the size of your flat bed?:bounce::bounce2:

I wish that one was mine. That is what I am using for a concept of what I want my FJ60 to look like when I'm done. That is why I would like to get the UTE Flat Bed from you.

Here is what I am starting with. A gray 1990 FJ62 and a red 1983 FJ60. Plans are to turn it into a crew cab and hopefully use your UTE Flat Bed. Then I plan on doing a 2FE conversion as well as a SOA to start. Here are pics of where I am at right now.:beer:

Last edited:
Thought you might like this pic:D
Finished product.jpg

Lockers from an 80 won't fit a 60 unless you swap the entire axle housing which is also much wider and doesn't use leaf springs. Thought you might want to rethink this.

Lockers from an 80 won't fit a 60 unless you swap the entire axle housing which is also much wider and doesn't use leaf springs. Thought you might want to rethink this.

I'm pretty sure if you have a 60 FF rear, the 80 E-Locker third will bolt in with little to no modifications.

If one could find FF 4.11 60 series axles with Cable lockers, that would be the find of a lifetime, because I'm not one for electrical stuffs, but the 80 series eLockers are pretty good.

I'll worry about lockers next winter.

Right now I am having a hard time finding someone to cut down the body for me.

The cutting part is not the issue. Its the welding the back of the truck back on after cutting out approximetly 24" of the cargo area out.

I love the cutting part, I just suck at putting it back together.:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom