Fusible Link Question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
Installing new Urban Land Cruisers Battery Cables and I find the Fusible Link is kinda buggered. (green arrow - missing link)

Looks like the PO bypassed the blown link with a regular wire (RED arrow)

Question is, anyone know what the black lead (in the FL link combo) goes to? And can I just replace the spliced wire with an appropriate FL piece ?

Wiring diagram anyone ? FSM diagram is vague (at least to me:rolleyes:)

I'm :crybaby: 'cuz I can't :steer: it yet.
FL0001.jpg

I used fuse link (25a) from my local parts store on both.

A new link is only $20.00 or so. I would put a new one in, and fix and keep the old for a spare.

Dynosoar:zilla:

this is by memory so dont kill me when someone corrects me,,,

one is for lights, one is for fuel injectors, and goes to the ignition switch

I used either 12ga or 10 ga fusible link I got from a friend that owns a garage,

from a thread on mud I think you are supposed to go 1 gauge larger than the wire it protects, and they reccomend a minimum of 6 inches this might be in the tech sticky section

cdan sells the new links for 12-13$ plus shipping,

he has them in stock

Links are $32.76 now... Price has evidently gone up...

But that won't help me. In the above pic, you can see the lead into the green connector (female side attached to the loom) was cut also, so I'd have to repair that first -- just replacing the link won't solve the issue.

The wiring diagrams I have suggest the following:

There are three fusible link wires, two green (0.5 sq. mm) and one red (0.85 sq. mm). These connect to three wires in the wiring harness, one black, one red and one white. (The red fusible link wire does not connect to the red harness wire). The black wire (fused by one of the green fusible links) goes to the ignition switch. The red wire (fused by the other green fusible link) goes to headlights and horns. The white wire (fused by the red fusible link) goes to some of the engine circuits, heater, AC, taillights, etc.

A manual I have that covers the 6x series including options such as power locks and windows substiutes a yellow (1.0 sq. mm) fusible link for the red fusible link used in the earlier 60 series.

Last edited:
Hmmm... it's that black wire they by-passed... I'm repairing the harness and connector to restore it to stock, so I can use a stock FL

Pic 1 - 14g Universal Fusible Link from Vato Zone and Toyo FL with Spade Terminals removed from burnt FL.

Pic 2 - Packing removed from connector at harness and wire butt spliced and heat-shrink onto loom.

pic 3 - Removing spade terminals from connector. There's a little prong that once flattened allows easy removal of the terminal.

I'm going to sleep. More tomorrow... :)
connector0001.jpg
connector0002.jpg
connector0003.jpg

Links are $32.76 now... Price has evidently gone up...

But that won't help me. In the above pic, you can see the lead into the green connector (female side attached to the loom) was cut also, so I'd have to repair that first -- just replacing the link won't solve the issue.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1988_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_FJ62LG-PNEA_8202.html

WOW, I was quoted the 12$ something just 2 months ago from CDAN,,, when I had custom cables made I also redid the FL, I got rid of the stock connector at the battery, I installed a buss bar so when I took the battery cable off it did not cause undo wear to the FL

but you were asking what it went to and could you replace the spliced wire with the apropriate FL, so I was trying to help in regards to the question,

NAPA sells the female clips that fit into the engine side connector

Doesn't the UL kit come with a new fusible link section?

do you already have the UL battery cables in hand?

3pits-

Yeah, the UL does come with a new one, but since I had to repair the connector at the loom, I'm gonna repair the FL too, use it a back up.

I checked the ToyoDIY link above for my '85 FJ60 and they list the link at $53.10 !! The one you posted is for an FJ62 --

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_198410_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_FJ60LG-KA_8202.html

Part # 90982‑08135

2mbb listed above the black wire (burnt FL) goes to the Ignition Switch.

Do you have a pic of how you mounted the Buss Bar ?

Thanks !

Here's some more information on fusible links. the metric sizing is in square millimeters (cross sectional area) not millimeters (diameter). According to the link below, you should use a 20g fusible link to replace the green one that is missing. The 14g you are using may be too large to protect the wiring harness. The fusible link is sized to prevent the wiring harness from burning up when a short occurs.

Fusible Links

Thanks for this info... I've got to fix my hobbled together FL.

Thanks, 2mbb- I was looking for that info before I went to buy the FL, but couldn't find it... Well, back to NAPA 'cuz I think you're right: 14g would probably be too large. OEM call for 0.5g Metric, so off to get the AWG 20g as stated above...

I'm finding 20g FL to be hard to find... Anybody have a source, or will the 18g be ok ?

Spoke too soon:

20 ga, Dorman product 10' spool, part # 85758 or a 9" link, part # 85626

Last edited:
3pits-

Yeah, the UL does come with a new one, but since I had to repair the connector at the loom, I'm gonna repair the FL too, use it a back up.

I checked the ToyoDIY link above for my '85 FJ60 and they list the link at $53.10 !! The one you posted is for an FJ62 --

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_198410_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_FJ60LG-KA_8202.html

Part # 90982‑08135

2mbb listed above the black wire (burnt FL) goes to the Ignition Switch.

Do you have a pic of how you mounted the Buss Bar ?

Thanks !

ohh you have a 60, then one of the wires does NOT go to the fuel injectors:grinpimp:

I have a 62, :cheers:

In my experience the only time a FL burns is when a wire has a short.

Part #s for Dorman Fusible link wire:

Dorman 85769 10' 18 Ga. Fusible Link Wire

Dorman 85758 Fusible Link 20 Ga

You might be able to find different brands and smaller quantities, but what is needed is 20 gauge FL to replace the GREEN and 18 gauge FL to replace the RED in the Toyota Fusible Link assy.

Small quantities of FL wire, bottom of page:

Attachments

• Cat-24.pdf
    294.9 KB · Views: 937
Last edited:
I tried ordering a set of fusible links but I was told that they are no longer available.
I know Im late to this discussion but I noticed a few things.
The gauge of the wire between the fusible link plug/connector and battery is very small in comparison to the wire on the other side of the plug/connector. This in addition to age/corrosion must be a real bottleneck.
I recently burned one out due to a mistake while removing the alternator. Wonder what this bottleneck does to the charging ability.
I see no reason not to just replace the fusible links with inline fuses with 8-10 gauge wires.

Since this topic has been popping up, I wonder what the po was thinking with this rig job. Still have to deal with this but have avoided until now. Anyone know the gauge wire and what it goes to?

IMG_1109.JPG

Anyone know the gauge wire and what it goes to?

If you are referring to the black wire with the foil on it, in THIS pic, it connects to the battery positive terminal IF it is connected to the green fusible link plug. It's just regular 8 AWG wire.
If you want to replace burnt fuse-link wires connected to the green plug, then the wires Spike mentioned are the ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom