who is making the Snap-On MIG welders? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
read something about it having been Century. This right?

Have a lead on a used Snap-on dual voltage 110/220V unit that might be fitting my needs. But don't want junk or to have to deal with the truck guys on a used unit so I'd hope it is somebody serious building these things for SnapOn.

Anybody knows?

Don't know who makes it.

Buying a Miller, a Hobart or a Lincoln is a no brainer. every welding store, everywhere, has parts and supplies for these any time. I strongly suggest you find a nice used Miller 175 and get busy.

And remember I told you that you can't have too many angle grinders once you start welding.

From what I have read, they are made a few different companies. Do a search on weldingweb.com and see what they have to say about the specific model you are looking at. If the used price is similar to a used comparable power machine from the big 3, then you should be getting a great welder. in my opinion snap on charges way too much for thier welders.

Century?
I agree with Cruiserdrew..get a name brand one you can get local support for....well, cheaper support.

well, looks like this is a FM-140A.

Apparently made by Systematics (?).

Interesting, it has supposedly a 100% duty cycle at 140A. And supposedly very reliable although with expensive parts.

Unfortunately, what I read about them does not confirm that they are dual intake voltage contrary to what I was told by the Seller. that was the big draw for me.

Incredibly, these things go for about $3000 at SnapOn... :eek: Who buys these things new....?

Incredibly, these things go for about $3000 at SnapOn... :eek: Who buys these things new....?

people who live week by week and pay the strap-on guy weekly as well....

bk

I'm no electricain but how do you get 100% duty cycle at 140 amps using a 110 volt outlet?

Even if it is a 110 volt 30 amp (one sideways prong) I'm still not understanding it.

that could be because the output voltage is much less than 120.
Say you have 120V 30A in, you could have 20V 180A out. Yes, that's neglecting all the funny stuff, DC vs AC, form factor, losses, the square roots everywhere and what not. But in principle not impossible, strictly from an energy conservation point of view. I think.

A friend gave me a Mac unit that was blown,I was able to have an electrician friend@ work repair the $700 dollar board that was fried,that the Mac guy couldn't get. Stick with a name brand unit their worth every penny even new. I'll fork over that type of cash for a name brand unit,but would NEVER buy a tool guy welder without the support of a welding shop behind it. Hopefully mine lasts long enough to make the money! Oh ya,mine was from Italy,chek it out good!

Go with name like Miller and it would be hard to go wrong. Took mine to my parents' house to do a project for them and forgot to bring my spare parts with. Looked up the local Miller dealer in town and walked out with the part I needed in 10 minutes verses having to get something mail order and waiting days.

Seems like you are always looking for a "deal" - a neighbor bought a Century 110v years ago, it was all he could afford. He is the most talented mechanic/gunsmith/machinist that I know and his brother is an electrical engineer. Between the two of them they can almost keep it going enough to patch sheet metal and weld light aluminum pipe. His "real" welder is a HUGE Lincoln with a 4cylinder Detroit engine. For 90% of the welding he does he is either hugely over or under equipped.

Didn't you start the thread on wring your garage for 220v so you could get a 'real' welder?

Start looking for a Miller Bobcat and then you have a backup generator too! It can power a spool gun or wire feeder but a stick machine will make you a better welder, especially for structural stuff where a too cold MIG weld might look great but fail and kill someone when it matters. Just because you welded up your own bumper doesn't mean it will hold when you're at the mercy of someone else's tow strap.

Where are you gong to get parts when your snap on guy goes broke and a different manufacturer is building the Snap On welders?

yup, seems like the Snap on welder is not a great idea for all the reasons above. Anyway, the whole point for me was that the seller was saying it's dual voltage, which may likely not be the case.

Miller has a new dual voltage 200 amp mig, the Millermatic 211, on page 26 in their 2009 catalog. Rumor has it it's around $1100. Much better price than their DVI2.
140 amps on 110v and 200 amps on 220v. Unbeatable quality and customer service as many have said already.
The Hobart Handler 187 is great bang for the buck, especially when it goes on sale at TSC. But you'll need 220v. (you could by my HH140, it's 110v and I'll upgrade to the 187...)
Snap-On customer service sucks, says my autobody class instructor who has one of their multi-process welders. The Snap-On mig in the class shop didn't feed well, either. It welded like crap compared to my Hobart, granted, it was probably abused.

Sorry, I strayed a little off topic, just trying to help.

Last edited:
yup, seems like the Snap on welder is not a great idea for all the reasons above. Anyway, the whole point for me was that the seller was saying it's dual voltage, which may likely not be the case.

For the price you pay for dual voltage, you could just buy 2 small portable welders. I will always have at least 3 welders. Small 120v unit, 250 amp 230v unit, and TIG welder. You can stick weld with the TIG welder. YMMV.

Millermatic 211 looks like a nice welder too. It would be great for portability.

The word from local Lincoln and Miller dealers is that S/O is made by Century. Seems the return rate on them for problems is high also. Already have both a stick welder and mig so he isnt giving me a sales pitch.

Stick with a name brand. You cant go wrong with Lincoln or Miller. Hobart is low end Miller, I would avoid it also.

Century made the older snap on welders they have someone else making them now. I had one of the older ones and it was ok but a lincoln or miller is going to be much better.

kyle

Century made the older snap on welders they have someone else making them now. I had one of the older ones and it was ok but a lincoln or miller is going to be much better.

kyle

I believe it was CK Systematics that built the older snap on welders.

the snap-ons are junk/cheap looking. the one i saw didn't even have a on/off switch :confused:
my buddies shop bought it and it was $1500.00 and it looked cheaper than the ones at harbor freight.
oh yeah, the welder can with one of the cheapo hand held mask.

i talked them into giving it back to snap-on.

have given up on that idea based on advice here.

It's just still amazing to me that Pros will spend these huge sums to buy stuff from Snapon etc that hardly seems like $$ well-spent. I know, I know, all the usual reasons. Still amazing. And the welders do seem like a case in point...

I had a Snap-On older unit for a my first welder (110v). I bought it from Tools R Us and he got it used from someone else. It was a great first unit to learn on and I sold it for as much as I paid for it.
I now have the Miller DVI (dual voltage) machine. I love it. It really is a great home garage welder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom