Lubes for Odometer and Speedometer Cable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
I have read up on the odometer fix threads and feel like I can fix my odometer in my '74 FJ55

What I am wondering is what have people found to be the best lube for lubing the odometer when re-assembling? I heard CLP mentioned, but not sure if that is the best bet?

Also, whil I have the cluster out I thought it would makes sense to disconnect the speedometer cable at the tranny, douche the cable with brake clean, and then re-lube.

What would the best lube be for speedo cable?

TIA,

Some links I found...

AutoZone.com | Repair Info | Product Information - Speedometer Cable

Slipkote Specialty Lubricants SLIPKOTE SPEEDOMETER GREASE is a premium quality, low temperature calcium grease that provides superior flexible cable housing lubrication at temperatures as low as -65°F. It is designed to prevent pulsating in wet or dry conditions and will outperform an ordinary grease as a speedometer cable lubricant in Automotive, Truck, Farm, Marine, and Industrial applications.

https://www.paddockparts.com/Paddoc...sion&mscssid=000755FF4A281634653B3C4B6A3CD081

What would the best lube be for speedo cable?
TIA,
Nothing. The downward pointed speedo drive gear naturally seeps oil into the cable. Adding other lube just makes it stickier inside.

So why does the t-case end of the cable have an o-ring and a felt pad? I thought they were there to keep oil out of the cable? :confused:

I just remembered I have a brand new cable in a box, I'll check it later to see if it came pre-lubed from the maker.
IMG_0669.jpg

Nothing. The downward pointed speedo drive gear naturally seeps oil into the cable. Adding other lube just makes it stickier inside.

You mean the speedo drive gear from the t-case?

Will the rotation of the cable move gear oil up the entire cable, and then seep down when cable is not spinning?

What about the odometer shaft and gears? What is best lube for that?

If my speedo needle is bouncing, can I just spray the s*** out of the gears with fluid film?

No specific suggestion.
Look for a light grease that is very stable and won't dry out & turn into tar after a few years.

Thanks, I am going to try CLP. I guess that is a brand, I will try the Remington equivalent available to me locally. If you look at the marketing to gun owners, it looks like it might be ideal for odometers - long lasting synthetic, low attractiveness for dust.

I will post up my findings...

A light grease you could use for the odo cluster is bicycle bearing grease. Comes in a tube.

I used graphite on my 4Runner speedo cable. it lasted a month or ~1000km, which ever came first. I concluded graphite doesn't work.

I tried chain lube (motorcyles I guess) and its been 8 months, through a cold winter and no noise or funny needle movements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom