FJ60 Radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am puzzled as to why i could not find my answer using the search function so i find myself starting yet another radio thread.

My question is what is the component that is mounted under the dash pictured. I have removed my dash so i can fabricate some brackets to mount a single DIN CD player and found this electrical component. The wires plug into the peakers and go to the spot where the headunit would normally go (it dindn't come with one.

My best guess is it is some kind of OEM amplifier????

My apologies if this is already covered.

Cheers

Shane
DSCF3177.jpg
DSCF3178.jpg

I'm curious as to what you come up with regarding a DIN bracket.
I'm working on the same project and thought about modifying a plastic DIN underdash box and fit it from the inside. Removing the OEM radio support brackets and making a U shaped bracket using the stock mounting points.
It's going to take some creativity no doubt and having the dash out will certainly make it a lot easier.

I used fiber glass and attached the basket for the radio the the dash pad. The whole is larger that the radio but center it up and it will look pretty good. I also aimed my radio slightly to the driver side. About 3/16". Works pretty good.

John

Shane: does that thing have a part number? Isn't it located where the speaker should be?

I will post pics of my bracket when done, i plan on doing a 2 piece setup so it can be easily removed.

The part number on my thing is 86280-90A00, it defintely has a OEM look about it all the brackets and screws are very original and non modified, my speakers are in the doors.

It's a toyota (or related) part number. I can try to look it up tonight on my EPC. Googling the entire part number didn't get any hits,but just the first five digits, reveals it's a toyota amplifer of some kind, but probably not from an FJ60.

toyota 86280 - Google Search

I'm about to install all the vents and a radio. For what I see in the pictures, do I have to remove the whole dash assembly? :eek:

Well this does show up as an original Land Cruiser amplifier for a General (not US, not Japan, not Europe) Land Cruiser. So where does your vehicle come from?
amplifier.jpg

That's awesome 2mbb, my cruiser is Australian. I guess i won't need it though as my Alpine headunit will have all the required amplification.

Jvazquez53 you don't really need to take the dash out to install a headunit there is probably a million ways to do it with the dash in place but it only takes about 10 minutes to pull it out and i thought it would be easier to do it that way. Personal preference really.

Nothing fancy but here is my bracket for my headunit in my 60 series.
DSCF3179.jpg
DSCF3185.jpg
DSCF3184.jpg

Where do I get a radio bracket? I don't have the tools or the materials to make one. So I need to buy one. My kenwood is just flopping around in the radio hole... Looks very ghettoooo

After an extensive search of this forum and the internet in general i concluded that such a bracket does not exist, therefore i built my own. I reckon your landcruiser would be the perfect excuse to buy more tools.

That's awesome 2mbb, my cruiser is Australian. I guess i won't need it though as my Alpine headunit will have all the required amplification.

Jvazquez53 you don't really need to take the dash out to install a headunit there is probably a million ways to do it with the dash in place but it only takes about 10 minutes to pull it out and i thought it would be easier to do it that way. Personal preference really.

Where are the screws the hold the dash?:confused:

There are quite a few screws but once you know where they are it's really quite simple.

1. 7 x screws that hold the glove box compartment in place, remove it completely including the door.

2. 5 x screws that hold the instrument cluster in place (speedo etc), you just have to move the instrument cluster forward a little.

3. 2 x screws, one at each end of the dash (can only be accessed with door open)

4. 4 x screws on the upper edge of the climate control panel, just remove the screws but leave the panel in place.

5. 4 x 10mm nuts, these are a little tricky, the first two are accessed through the hole where the glove box was, they are on the forward edge if the dash, they are visable in my first photo. The second two nuts are in a similar spot on the other side, they are accessed by reaching behind the instrument cluster that you moved forward a little. These 4 nuts just need to be loosened not completely removed.

6. Now just lift and jiggle gently and the dash should come out without any force.

7. Assemble in the reverse order, make sure you check any wiring/fittings/dashlights that you may have accidently knocked. Theres nothing worse than putting it all back together and finding out that you accidently disconnected something. Also make sure all screw holes are lined up perfectly around the consoles/trim etc before you start replaceing the screws.

I hope this helps a little if you have any more questions just ask.

Cheers

One last thing when you make your brackets you may have to cut a bit of the edge that hangs down low, mine rubbed on the air ducting so i had to trim it a little, i haven't pictured this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom