ARB Compressor Cycle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How often does an ARB compressor cycle when both lockers are engaged all day?

I can't imagine ever having them engaged for more than a few minutes at a time, but when engaged, mine seems to cycle at about 10 minute intervals or so. If the lockers are not activated, but the compressor swotch is on, it will still cycle evey hour or so.

When the pressure switch gets wonky, it will cycle more often, but for shorter intervals.

Thanks Andrew for the info., I'm chasing down a leak of diff oil with the front locker and I'm trying to rule out the seals on the locker as the cause. I usually keep the rear locker on all day when I'm offroading and the compressor cycles every hour.

When I re-geared my diffs a couple of years ago, I also installed all new O-rings in the ARBs. I wanted to test them for leaks before I installed them in the truck, so I stopped at the hardware store, bought all the stuff, and made this tester:

ARB_Tester.jpg

I turned my shop compressor down to 85 psi, connected the hose, and opened the valve. It was kinda cool to watch the ring SNAP into the carrier. Then I closed the valve, and disconnected the hose, let it sit. An hour later the locker was still engaged, so I knew it was pretty well sealed.

Something worth trying...

Thanks for the info. guys.

KLF said:
It was kinda cool to watch the ring SNAP into the carrier.

damn ! dude .. I always want to see that . ! :D ( jelaous ! )

I can't imagine ever having them engaged for more than a few minutes at a time, but when engaged, mine seems to cycle at about 10 minute intervals or so. If the lockers are not activated, but the compressor swotch is on, it will still cycle evey hour or so.

When the pressure switch gets wonky, it will cycle more often, but for shorter intervals.

reviving old thread here....

Just installed the new small ARB compressor and just testing it first time, the compressor will come on enough to fill the tank and engage front locker (only have front ARB which is also new). With the locker engaged, the compressor cycles (comes on) every 70 seconds and stay on for a few seconds.
Cruiserdrew, your wonky statement sounds exactly what mine is doing. But this is a new compressor, everything is new and the locker was installed by a ARB distributor. What should I chase first?
What is a good cycle time that the small compressor should have running only one locker?

reviving old thread here....

Just installed the new small ARB compressor and just testing it first time, the compressor will come on enough to fill the tank and engage front locker (only have front ARB which is also new). With the locker engaged, the compressor cycles (comes on) every 70 seconds and stay on for a few seconds.
Cruiserdrew, your wonky statement sounds exactly what mine is doing. But this is a new compressor, everything is new and the locker was installed by a ARB distributor. What should I chase first?
What is a good cycle time that the small compressor should have running only one locker?

Check the axle vent and see if any air is coming out the vent when the locker is engaged. I've never seen the small compressor in use, but that sounds like it is coming on too often.

I will check that, does that mean the locker internal is leaking?
I also re-read the manual, funny how things pop up after you install, like everything on top of the compressor should be on no more than hand tight... oops. So I wonder if the O ring in the solenoid is crushed in there and even the pressure switch should only be hand tight... is this right? I didn't crank on them, but did use a wrench.
If all else fails, I'll switch from teflon tape to a liquid thread sealant.

Oh yeah, the way the blue tube attaches to the solenoid top seems super flaky, but i guess it's sealed, but seems to be an easy leak spot.

I will check that, does that mean the locker internal is leaking?

99% positive on it ..

If all else fails, I'll switch from teflon tape to a liquid thread sealant.

I'm not a fan of liquid teflon .. I thought the old style it's much efective .. but just my .0002 cents ..

You can chech the route of the air line ot be sure that there is no leak .. use maybe a soap mix to help in the search.

Fixed.
Basically just reassembled everything that needed teflon tape at the compressor and then only tightened it 1/4 turn past hand tight. Holds air longer than i could have imagined, like over 30 minutes even with locker on.

Fixed.
Basically just reassembled everything that needed teflon tape at the compressor and then only tightened it 1/4 turn past hand tight. Holds air longer than i could have imagined, like over 30 minutes even with locker on.

That's long .. mine do about 15 - 20 mins .. but glad you found what that easy ..

That's long .. mine do about 15 - 20 mins .. but glad you found what that easy ..

Yeah 30 mins I was like, "this thing ain't workin'" but it was... very impressive. Since i had such great results I think I'll go into business installing just the small compressors and only on the 91-92 FJ80.... seems like business would boom right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom