Repair Stihl Chainsaw Oil Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Stihl 028 with an allegedly busted oil pump - for chain oil. I took it to an authorized dealer and they said it would be $150 or $200 to repair. Its not even worth $100, so I am inclined to either toss it, or repair it myself. I have never worked on a chainsaw before, but I am pretty mechanically inclined. Anyone have experience changing a pump? (I will of course check for clogs, etc, before I actually change the pump, but since an auth dealer at a reputable repair shop said its busted, I figure its likely). Also, any idea where I can get a replacement pump?

I have a Stihl 028 with an allegedly busted oil pump - for chain oil. I took it to an authorized dealer and they said it would be $150 or $200 to repair. Its not even worth $100, so I am inclined to either toss it, or repair it myself. I have never worked on a chainsaw before, but I am pretty mechanically inclined. Anyone have experience changing a pump? (I will of course check for clogs, etc, before I actually change the pump, but since an auth dealer at a reputable repair shop said its busted, I figure its likely). Also, any idea where I can get a replacement pump?

Wait for D'Animal to chime in. He's the Cruiserdan of chainsaws. :cheers:

I Saw his reply to another guy with a similar proplem - in fact that is how I found this forum, by googling my problem. I hope he sees my post! Thanks

I Saw his reply to another guy with a similar proplem - in fact that is how I found this forum, by googling my problem. I hope he sees my post! Thanks

He'll see it. He has a way of sniffing these things out.... :clap:

I think he's on the road right now, but he'll prolly even know the part # off the top of his head.

He's kinda like the CruiserDan of the Stihl world...

I think Dan is in Iowa or on the road there. He is sure to help but give him a few days maybe.

:drumset:

I'm out, can't keep up. :deadhorse:

No, I sure he said Stihl ;)

:lol::lol::lol:
rimshot.gif

I swore there was a 'm in there when I posted that :confused:

Be patient, dparent, D'Animal will be around sooner or later..

I'm back from my road trip.

I don't know your location so I cannot recommend a local place for you.

The oiler is super easy to replace. I doubt it is the pump. It is probably the oiler drive gear. Is the saw all tore apart?

Here is how to check it out yourself.
Take your bar and chain off.
Remove the metal plate that is around the bar studs. One screw in the middle between the studs holds it on.

Remove the clip on the end of the crankshaft. Once that is removed depending on the version of 028 you will have another washer and a large clip holding the washer onto the cranshaft. The 028 Super should have a rim sprocket but it will still ahve two clips and two metal washers.

Remove the large plastic cover that is about the size of you hand and kinda looks like the state of Michigan. Once that cover is removed you will see the oiler drive gear sitting on the sprocket drum. The oiler driven gear goes into the pump and just pulls off. The gears are plastic and are designed to wear. They are the weak link in the system.

This is about a 10 -12 minute repair, not counting cleaning time.

I doubt you need a pump unless you have been running used motor oil as bar and chain lube. I have probably replaced 500 oiler drive gears and two pumps in the last 20 years.

Let me know if you need any pictures and any other questions answered.

Dan

Thank you so much D'Animal. I think I can handle this. I assume I get these parts from a local Stihl dealer. I live in Ventura, CA, (I notice you must be sorta near here), and I think I can find a dealer without too much trouble. Ill PM you if I need more. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom