Positive Camber correction Q. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Positive Camber look-a-like correction.

This 75 -40 I converted to front disc has a TON od Positive Camber, I.E. the tops of the tires lean out quite a bit.

Whas is the easiest way to correct this? Do I have too many shims on one knuckle and not enough on the other, or something like that?

Gary

Last edited:
The camber is not adjustable - it is set by the kingpin angle of your knuckle bearings.
Bent axle housing?

Oh crapola! :( :( :(

This is rather severe, could it be corrected by swapping out the knuckles side for side? Gawd I'm getting a bad feeling about this... Pics in a few moments.

maybe rotate the knuckle housing 180 degrees ,like roll it around .top to bottom bottom to top. don't need to switch them from side to side .just pull bearing caps and rotate 180 if that makes sense

EDIT : just looked at a loose knuckle ,that probably aint it either don't think you would get the birf in

Last edited:
Wellllllll now..... Maybe I'm just retarded and need to get my toe adjusted before crying about the camber....

normal_00111111111122222222223333333333444444444455555555559.JPG

So you're saying that teh knuckle housing may be able to be ran upsidedown?

Edited: Definitely nothing loose... The left wheel hollered at me all the way home from my shop...

You cannot rotate, swap sides, or otherwise change your knuckle installation - if you do the brake caliper mounting ears will be on the wrong side, or even worse...

Looks to me like your axle housing is bent at the pass. side ball-tube connection.

OH SNAP!

Ok, I'm dragging it down to the alignment shop to get everything measured.... Good Grief!

Lets just hope you're toe-in is just whacked out completely...and giving it a sense of camber issues.

You know, now that you mention it, it might clean up real good when I adjust the tire rod's tomorrow. I'm really hoping this thing isn't bent...

toe will affect the camber in strange ways. Here is another option as the castor is adjustable. pics are caried from this short thread. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/201268-knuckle-bearing-cap.html I have not seen or used one in 10+ years. this will only fix the prob at hand . You will continue to have inner seal problems and I do not recommed this if the axle is bent.
wtf1.jpg
wtf2.jpg
wtf.jpg

Assuming that the camber is as bad as it looks in the picture, just get good used axle housing. It would be cheaper and easier than fixing the one you have.

I'm going to go try to hit the toe here in a few, maybe things will ease back into perspective.

The axle wasn't ebnt when I changed the hubs and birfields over to disc a few months back...

WOW! It's amazing what an inch here and an inch there will do to the look of a front end :)

This is much better, I'll send it to the alignment shop monday to get it all trued up. Took me about 40 minutes to make sense of everything then to get the steering wheel close to center :)

Maybe camber issue questions can be answered in the future by getting my dum butt on an alignment machine.. :rolleyes:

normal_0907081444a.jpg

Alignment is still off a tad but the Camber is back on track :)

The farther INWARD you move your front wheels (giving it more toe in) the more your Camber will appear off.

After studying it, I realised that the camber MUST sharpen when turning left or right to keep the proper grip of the rubber to the road/trail, if you simply turned them left without cambering inward on top you would simply skip across the pavement like in our old Go-Carts we used to make would do when we were hauling arse and tried to miss a tree or sign post or mailbox...

One wheel increases camber when turning and the other looses camber at the same rate.

That's when I realised that the toe in would give the feeling and look of the camber being out of whack, because the wheels were too far inward.

Positive camber overcomes 0 when your wheels turn inward, and Negative Camber overcomes 0 the opposite direction when your wheels turn outward.

Hope that helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom