AltFuel Is home oil heating diesel oil the same as diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mike

82bj42 1st project
Threads
Anybody try runing home heating oil in their trucks? Any differences between diesel and home heating oil. Thx

I believe it's the same though it is not marked for road use.

Personally I'd run it.

Its illegal. That is why it is colored red.

Anybody try runing home heating oil in their trucks? Any differences between diesel and home heating oil. Thx

The additive makes it obvious to anyone checking your tank. I don't know what the penalty is.

Diesel engines will work on kerosene, home heating oil, waste veggie oil, up to 75% Ethanol, and free fatty acids.

True!! Homebrew bio-diesel is also illegal as is anything else that doesn't have road tax paid on it. I say run it till it's all gone.

Yes, I'm just a little pissed at big-oil, big government and oil speculators! I'll be running off-grid bio-diesel just as soon as I can!!

What's the best way to siphon the oil from the tank if electrical power and a hand pump are not availble. Thx

DC fuel pump.

Is the tank on the ground? You could lift or jack up one side at a time to get cinder blocks under it so the tanks bottom is higher than the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket.

Some home heating oil has an accelerant added to it , not sure what it is, but its an additive that you can ask for when you get it delivered...

I've heard the additive isn't good, but not even knowing what it is, can't really say. otherwise it's just diesel.

i had to empty my tank (250 l) since we updated to a heat pump.
i used the hand pump a couple of time, but since i had to rent it, i just opted for closing the valve at the tank (my tank is above ground) and putting the copper line into a jerry can. it work awesome, i wish i thought of it before.
i was very happy to see that i was able to run that fuel into my truck.......until it started working like crapp. apperantly it went down to gelling (i know.....at about 16 degress?????) well, apperantly there is a type of oil that if used to make bio, it'll cause the fuel to gel at temp as high as 16 degrees celcius. it was news to me, and it fustrated it me so much that i even thought of selling my rig. anyway, i've been mixing it with reg diesel and its been running fine. i just know better for next time. Oh ya, i bought the oild from columbia fuels here in vic, bc.

New use for an old relic

i had to empty my tank (250 l) since we updated to a heat pump.
i used the hand pump a couple of time, but since i had to rent it, i just opted for closing the valve at the tank (my tank is above ground) and putting the copper line into a jerry can. it work awesome, i wish i thought of it before.
i was very happy to see that i was able to run that fuel into my truck.......until it started working like ****p. apperantly it went down to gelling (i know.....at about 16 degress?????) well, apperantly there is a type of oil that if used to make bio, it'll cause the fuel to gel at temp as high as 16 degrees celcius. it was news to me, and it fustrated it me so much that i even thought of selling my rig. anyway, i've been mixing it with reg diesel and its been running fine. i just know better for next time. Oh ya, i bought the oild from columbia fuels here in vic, bc.

Wow, when I'm back in the States I live in an urban/suburban area. Most folks in older homes have gone from oil heat to gas or electric. Folks are paying guys to come into their homes/yards and cut up and pitch their retired above ground oil storage tanks to make room for finished basements or landscaping projects in their backyards etc. Prior to buying a diesel I never thought a use for these "relics." When I get home folks would give these away to me. Once I got a tank setup behind the garage etc I could use it as a storage tank for home heating/filtered wvo/svo/homebrew biodiesel, whatever was available and easy. There are guys who have set up wvo coops and I bet that there will be someone doing homebrew bio diesel by the time that I get back. I've been interested in participating in such but could never work out a realistic storage option. These tanks sound like it. Just put a tap in at the bottom and an electric or hand pump and a hose.

x2 on it being illegal, otherwise I remember that during a long and painful trucker strike in the late 90s in France, people were starting to use "red" heating oil sted of diesel and it worked well, at least in rugged, first gen, non TDI engines. But if you were to be caught "red" handed by the cops, you could be in big trouble. An the red color is there to stay in your tank for a long time, even though you fill up with regular diesel afterwards.

x2 on it being illegal, otherwise I remember that during a long and painful trucker strike in the late 90s in France, people were starting to use "red" heating oil sted of diesel and it worked well, at least in rugged, first gen, non TDI engines. But if you were to be caught "red" handed by the cops, you could be in big trouble. An the red color is there to stay in your tank for a long time, even though you fill up with regular diesel afterwards.

Grolar,
Not disputing the legallity and all but I'm just curious, how often has anyone seen cops check what's in a guy's gas tank during a routine traffic stop in the States? I know I haven't but maybe gas tank inspections are a regular part of safety inspections of tractor trailer rigs or at land border crossings into the U.S. and I'm just not aware of them. Anyone ever experienced such a gas tank inspection. If so, how was it done? I mean how did the cop actually get a look down into your tank through the opening in the filler neck? Not doubting, just trying to gauge the risk. Thanks.

Anyone ever experienced such a gas tank inspection. If so, how was it done? I mean how did the cop actually get a look down into your tank through the opening in the filler neck? Not doubting, just trying to gauge the risk. Thanks.

Apparently folks have had such inspections but when asked they do not know how they actually check for the type/color of fuel.

Apparently folks have had such inspections but when asked they do not know how they actually check for the type/color of fuel.

Interesting. I guess I am more than a little curious. Again, normally the cops would have some indication ahead of time, e.g., " there is information that Joe Dokes at 123 cherry lane is selling home heating oil as auto fuel." They would then go and set up to observe 123 cherry lane, see guys pulling up to the suspicious hand pump badly disguised as a jungle gym and filling up. Under those circumstances they would have special testing gear etc, maybe even an expert, so that they could stop the any vehicles that they observed by the jungle gym and conduct the check.
The other scenario, which I could see as much more likely, is stopping big rigs at weigh stations and safety inspections along the interstate. In that scenario you have cops who are trained to look for a whole range of things and have the gear etc to check the tanks of the big rigs, which BTW are much easier to look into than either a 40 or a 60 tank.
I'd really like to hear from anyone who has been through such a check to get some first hand perspective on how it all was actually done.

To put this all in perspective, the only reason home heating oil is illegal for road use is that it doesn't have road taxes paid. Following that a little further then SVO, WVO and home brew bio-diesel all fall into that same category, illegal because road taxes are not paid. Is that stopping the folks running those fuels??? I didn't think so!

I'm with you. One of the coolest things about these rigs is that you throw so many different types of fuel at it and it keeps grunting along. Given what appears to be the remote possibility of someone actually looking down your filler neck somehow v. the $ savings and othe benefits of running some of these alternative fuels I don't see many people thinking more than a few minutes about it before filling up with whatever works for them.

...illegal for road use is that it doesn't have road taxes paid. Following that a little further then SVO, WVO and home brew bio-diesel all fall into that same category, illegal because road taxes are not paid. ...!
Not true everywhere. Some jurisdictions only tax petro fuel and all others are exempt.

Not true everywhere. Some jurisdictions only tax petro fuel and all others are exempt.

True, but that is not the norm. Most jurisdictions are quite happy to collect tax from wherever they can. If there is no tax payable we have the pioneers of bio-fuels to thank.

I think that most inspections are made by tax auditors rather than cops. I think that most common violators that the auditors are looking for are for heavy construction machinery/trucking industry. The auditors would problably look though the log books/receipts for fuel orders and caculate if there is a short fall in expected consumption.

The police in the farming communities in Canada used to carry a siphon hose and check peoples fuel, but only if they were running out of other charges or fines. The bigger problem was packing marked fuel in jerry cans or tidy tanks, there easy to check. I would be suprised if anyone on this forum has ever been checked or knows anyone who has? at least in a passenger vehicle. I would not worry about that as much as the fuel quality.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom