Anyone running rear helper air springs on their rig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been putting off getting a REAL lift for some time now and after doing A LOT of research, I've come to the conclusion that if I'm gunna do it, I'm gunna do it right with a complete kit that includes everything I need rather than parts pieced together and praying for no bad vibes :doh:

Unfortunately, complete kits cost major buck, so I'll have to put it off even longer :frown:

Until then, I'll have to live with the stock height, which isn't so bad given my usage, but I do have some rear sag that I'd like to address :hmm:

Unloaded, she sits pretty level, even with a permanent heavy rack :cool:

FZJBedLinedBumpers9.JPG

However, when I load her up with the kids and their junk or hook up the trailer, you deinitely notice the sag :meh:

fzj80ghettotrailernwheels2.JPG

Now, first thought was to pickup a set of OEM height heavies, but I don't really want to lose the cushy ride we've grown to love :eek:

I just want that little extra support when loaded, so now I'm thinking a set of helper air springs might be the way to go :)

BagSqueezed.JPG

BagAssembly2.JPG

Anyone running these on their rig?

air bags

I've got the air bags in the springs like your pictures. I had a guy put the air intake for the bag under the gas cap door. I'm very pleased with the setup. There are numerous time a month I used a trailer and they have held up well. Do it....

I've got the air bags in the springs like your pictures. I had a guy put the air intake for the bag under the gas cap door. I'm very pleased with the setup. There are numerous time a month I used a trailer and they have held up well. Do it....

Any particular brand I should look into?

Found this AirLift 1000 kit on Summit:

Air Lift 60728 - Air Lift 1000 Load Assist Rear Spring Kits - summitracing.com

Did you hack your bumpstops or remove them altogether?

Are you using a line splitter or running them independant?

Got pix? :)

I used Airlifts when I towed a construction trailer every day. I liked them very much, they made a big improvement in handling. I did cut out the bumpstops, used an extendable utility knife to take it out in pieces, then a ratchet to get out the last bit. I ran two valves back at the hitch. I was worried about the effect on brake proportioning, but the few times I got into ABS on pavement it seemed to be braking evenly. I towed someone else's large pop-top camper once, it started fishtailing, I barely felt it.

They also came in handy with a loaded roof box and seven occupants, levelled and stabilized nicely. My brother towed a very large trailer with his 80, maybe he'll chime in, but he was very pleased with his Airlifts.

those are 315 or 285 .. ?

nice cruiser BTW ..

Thanx :)

305's on the truck, 275's on the trailer

Scott, did you use them with the stock springs or a lift?

Just curious cause AirLift's instructions say to remove the bump stops completely :hmm:

I figure on a lifted rig, the same airbags can be used with just a trim of the stops?

Stock springs. You can measure the inside diameter and height of the springs, Airlift should be able to tell you what model would fit. The bumpstop might work, but might also be too much of a point instead of a flat pushing down on the airbag. I think I ran my airlines out the hole where the bumpstop bolt used to be, I remember trying that anyway.

Stock springs. You can measure the inside diameter and height of the springs, Airlift should be able to tell you what model would fit. The bumpstop might work, but might also be too much of a point instead of a flat pushing down on the airbag. I think I ran my airlines out the hole where the bumpstop bolt used to be, I remember trying that anyway.

That's odd, the instructions say to mount them with the lines on the bottom :confused:

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/air-mn-219_al1000.pdf

If the springs overextend, the airbag would be sitting in the bottom of the spring, the hose out the top could pinch when the spring comes back down. I think I tried going out the top, and had to switch them, fun.

Any particular brand I should look into?

Found this AirLift 1000 kit on Summit:

Air Lift 60728 - Air Lift 1000 Load Assist Rear Spring Kits - summitracing.com

Did you hack your bumpstops or remove them altogether?

Are you using a line splitter or running them independant?

Got pix? :)

Have the Airlift 1000 kit and run it using the splitter for the last three years. No issues work perfect. I had a similar issue with rear sag as you do loaded. Te bags fixed the problem. The bumpstops are removed, unbolted. One of the better mods to my cruiser. If you want pics PM me.

98 stay stock height for as long as you can whenever I think about buying the whole lift kit I just look at some pics of your 80 and they bring me back down to earth, 305s with no lift fills them wheel wells up nice, and im like you, pretty much drive on pavement 95% of the time, but if I do get a hitch and pop up I may put some spring spacers in the rear to match my fronts.

OK, after some reassurance from Cattledog and others, I went ahead and placed the order :)

Since there isn't much info on these, I decided to take a bunch of step by step install pix....

Here's what you get in the kit:

fzj80airliftinstall.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall2.JPG

And this is what I had to start with:

fzj80airliftinstall3.JPG

I used a trans jack to control the rear end drop after unbolting the shocks with a 17mm socket.

I lowered the rear slowly and checked for any stressed lines as it went down.

All of the lines had enough slack except for the breather hose, so I yanked it:

fzj80airliftinstall4.JPG

Then I unbolted the bumpstops with a 12mm socket and extension:

fzj80airliftinstall5.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall6.JPG

A shot of the springs and stops removed:

fzj80airliftinstall7.JPG

With everything pulled, I sanded the rusty high hats and gave them a good coat of rust control paint:

fzj80airliftinstall8.JPG

Next, I drilled out the existing mounting holes to 3/4" using a Uni-Bit.

I personally don't think this step is required, but since I'm a stickler for procedure, I followed the instructions to a tee:

fzj80airliftinstall9.JPG

Then I deburred the hole, sanded the spring mount and coated it with rust control paint:

fzj80airliftinstall10.JPG

After that, I gave the springs a good wash and checked for sharp edges that could damage the airbags:

fzj80airliftinstall11.JPG

To keep the rubber seats in place, I taped them to the top of the springs:

fzj80airliftinstall12.JPG

The new airbags just slid into place from the top of the springs:

fzj80airliftinstall13.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall14.JPG

I then reinstalled the bagfilled springs:

fzj80airliftinstall15.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall16.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall17.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall18.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall19.JPG

Next, I sized up the line running it through the chassis and down to the right airbag, leaving enough slack in the line for suspension movement:

fzj80airliftinstall26.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall27.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall28.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall29.JPG

After making the first cut, I yanked the lines out and wrapped them in plastic loom to protect them from any sharp edges in the chassiswork:

fzj80airliftinstall30.JPG

Then I attached the lines to the valves, aired them up to 25psi. and checked for leaks using soapy water and a spray bottle:

fzj80airliftinstall31.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall32.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall33.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall34.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall35.JPG

With no visible bubbling, I reinstalled the trim panel and appied the safey decal on the inside of the fuel door:

fzj80airliftinstall36.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall37.JPG

Then I slowly lowered the lift and made sure there was enough slack in the lines before zip-tying them in place:

fzj80airliftinstall38.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall39.JPG

fzj80airliftinstall40.JPG

My pop had bags in his 96, to control ride height while towing as well.

He had his installed with an on-board compressor (I assume under the hood) and an auto pressure regulator with two gages and manual override switches (one for each side) mounted in the center consul. When the rear end reached the minimum pressure, it would automatically pump the rear up a bit. If he needed more height while towing, he flipped the switch in the center consul to pump up.

My pop loved this setup. The only downfall to it was that if he let the truck sit for a month or so, the pump would kick in every few days and would drain the battery.

i will ask him what his setup was and if the pump was part of the system or purchased separately.

Nicely done!

What'd the whole setup cost you?

Thanx :)

$79.88 from Summit (see link in previous post)

Anyhoo, I just drove her home, so here are some first impressions...

1) There's a bit more body roll than I'm used to, but this is expected with the added height :doh:

2) Although the airbags made the suspension firm enough for me to jump up and down on the rear bumper with minimal movement, the actual ride still feels very plush :)

3) At high speeds (80+), the truck actually feels a bit smoother than before :confused:
I'm guessing the added height probably straightened out the pinion angle or sumthin :hmm:

4) Drove through a raised intersection at a speed that would usually bottom out the stock suspension and she went through with ease :cool:

5) Drove through a few deep muddy trenches that would usually require the CDL and I didn't even need it :D

So far, so good :cool:

Now another question....

Has anyone installed a set of bags like this up front :confused:

Would be nice to have an adjustable inch or two for the front end sag ;)

for 80 bucks I bet you install a set on the front:popcorn:

My pop had bags in his 96, to control ride height while towing as well.

He had his installed with an on-board compressor (I assume under the hood) and an auto pressure regulator with two gages and manual override switches (one for each side) mounted in the center consul. When the rear end reached the minimum pressure, it would automatically pump the rear up a bit. If he needed more height while towing, he flipped the switch in the center consul to pump up.

My pop loved this setup. The only downfall to it was that if he let the truck sit for a month or so, the pump would kick in every few days and would drain the battery.

i will ask him what his setup was and if the pump was part of the system or purchased separately.

Sounds pretty cool :)

AirLift has this as an option (it was listed in the product brochure that was sent in the box)

Although, the relay in your Dad's setup should've been wired up to an accessory circuit rather than a direct source :doh:

I have an OBA system on the roof that uses an automatic pressure switch, but the relay's trigger source is wired as an accessory, so it will only work with the key on :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom