Mechanic broke my dizzy installing a Pertronix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got it back today. I paid for the parts and he got all the labor so it ended up being only a $100 extra including oil & filter. He also fixed a few things that were weird that the PO probably did while he was in there. SOR doesn't sell pumps for my year anymore. The guy at SOR had a really good used one randomly for a decent price and the mechanic said it look brand new when he got it...& it had great pressure so he felt confident in it. Kinda glad because MAF pump is $300+. Thanks again for checking out the rig. Would love to take a look at your project when I get mine all back together. I'll PM you next week.

oil pumps hard to find? maybe that is something better sourced directly fro a parts store. He felt confident? Comforting considering oil pumps are a impact driver and three screws away from an easy disassembly and visual check. That is confidence. Who is this guy?

Oh one more thing. He said the oil pan gasket was really hard to install (thick) and hadn't ever seen one like it. They actually had to re-tighten the bolts quite a bit after the first install because there was a little leaking. All sealed up now.

HARD to install? If the gasket is squishing out the side then he overtightened it. Maybe he didn't make sure the pan was not warped before installing it. They are often warped from taking blows to the bottom of the pan during off-road use. Gasket TOO thick, okay, strike three! <<<<<<<<< ENOUGH>>>>>>>> tell us NO MORE of this man.

Got it back today. I paid for the parts and he got all the labor so it ended up being only a $100 extra including oil & filter.

Confused!!!

Why did YOU pay $100 extra becuase HE stuffed up?

I'm a mechanic and have had a few 'mishaps' on the way - but if I do I fix it - and ALL at my cost.

And did he check the bearings for damage from the engine running with no oil pressure while he was in there?

Why did YOU pay $100 extra becuase HE stuffed up?

This guy has a future in Malawi :rolleyes: Not even the Toyota dealer will make it good when they stuff something up. :whoops: It is always the fault of the part/vehicle/tool... and the responsibility of the vehicle's owner :confused::confused:

Got it back today. I paid for the parts and he got all the labor so it ended up being only a $100 extra including oil & filter. He also fixed a few things that were weird that the PO probably did while he was in there. SOR doesn't sell pumps for my year anymore. The guy at SOR had a really good used one randomly for a decent price and the mechanic said it look brand new when he got it...& it had great pressure so he felt confident in it. Kinda glad because MAF pump is $300+. Thanks again for checking out the rig. Would love to take a look at your project when I get mine all back together. I'll PM you next week.

Gland u got it back and it worked out. Man,..... Dom's everywhere I tell ya.

Let this be a lesson to you, calixto...something as simple as wiring a pertronix could have been taken care of right here in tech.
If you had but asked, you would have had half a dozen informative responses from guys who've done it. Of course, you would have half a dozen responses telling you to use search too.
It might have taken a couple hours. Maybe a couple pics. But 'Mud could have walked you through that minor procedure without breaking your oilpump. By the way, the Pertronix will cmpensate for some shaft wobble. and what was your mechanic going to do with the shaft wobble if he ever got the dizzy out of the block anyway? You could have had that Pertronix installed in 15 minutes with a Leatherman pockettool...
(hold on, just thought of something deep...)

"You are the only who should learn by making mistakes on your rig."

Perhaps you underestimate the power of 'Mud. Maybe you doubt your own ability. But 'Mud has talked some absolute blithering idiots through procedures as complicated as a brake rebuild. and you don't seem much the blithering idiot type.

actually I gotta agree with Pinhead, good points, but I feel your pain Calixto.

I am in SD, well Fallbrook to be exact. I am no expert but self taught myself everything I know, started in autoshop in High School.

EDIT: others have also taught me alot as well

Honestly, owning one of these cars your best bet is to at least learn to do the simple mechanical things yourself OR spend alot of money paying someone else.

Not trying to bag on you though, let me know if I can ever help.

looking at all the san diego guys here, we should have a get together sometime soon?

Noah

Last edited:
Last edited:
All good points guys, thanks! I bought this rig to work on myself & have learned a ton doing small things myself & researching on Mud. Yeah, I know the Petronix install is simple. I was planning on doing the install myself....but there is some pretty crazy custom wiring going on from the PO. For instance it has a vacum advance distributor on it....& as someone stated above 73 don't have vacum advance. I spent a good hour tracing wires and trying to figure out why it was so different than the Petronix diagram & FSM....combined with the fact that I was going to have to get the mechanic to do the timing also it seemed like a good idea to get him to do it. Believe me I will never take my rig back there again!

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions! SD guys, lets hook up a get together soon. I know there are two other guys in the area that would be interested as well.

HARD to install? If the gasket is squishing out the side then he overtightened it. Maybe he didn't make sure the pan was not warped before installing it. They are often warped from taking blows to the bottom of the pan during off-road use. Gasket TOO thick, okay, strike three! <<<<<<<<< ENOUGH>>>>>>>> tell us NO MORE of this man.

First time and hopefully only time I replaced my oil pan gasket with OEM was difficult to do because the cork is so think, the bolts don't really catch the threads to get it going. I lined up the gasket and used some 2x4 and a floor jack to compress the pan enough to get the bolts started. I am a 5 toed monkey with a wrench. Your mechanic should have been able to do this right and not jack up more stuff.

First time and hopefully only time I replaced my oil pan gasket with OEM was difficult to do because the cork is so think, the bolts don't really catch the threads to get it going. I lined up the gasket and used some 2x4 and a floor jack to compress the pan enough to get the bolts started. I am a 5 toed monkey with a wrench. Your mechanic should have been able to do this right and not jack up more stuff.

You're right. Your statements bring back memories of problems I had installing the pan gasket for the first time. Calixto said this guy was a known. Maybe the moral is Landcruisers need to be serviced by people who are familiar with them. I know I have had to pay dearly for the mistakes I've made working on my Cruiser. I've found them to be counfoundingly different from what i was used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom