Fold down split bench vs wide split bench (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking at the 71 Ugly Betty build, and noticed it has the twin narrow front seats with the fold down center. My 71 has the narrow driver's seat with the wide passenger seat. I always thought the fold down center seats didn't come out until around 73 or 74. Colorado Boy's 74 has the fold down bench.

So, what's the deal here? Was 71 a changeover year? Or was there an option for seats? If so, which was standard and which was optional?

I have a 6/71 with the small middle seat. It does not fold down, only the two outside seats fold. According to SOR.com the changeover was in 9/71, so mine must have been changed at some point.

71insideclose.jpg

9/71-9/72 picture of front bench seats from Spector.
9-71to9-72stockbenchseat.gif

Last edited:
seats

here they are I thought they were original? I was just going from the fit with no mod though.

I have been back and forth on keeping them or going with twin buckets and lately I've thought it would be nice to convert the middle so it flipped forward with my CB mounted on it.

I have a lot of work before that though!

SBFJ if you ever have a chance would love to see how those bench seats hook up --I've bought some off eBAY
seats2.JPG
seats.JPG

IIRC, the center section bench came online in 2 of '70....in some markets. The rigs that had them also had extra hoses for the rear accumulator tank. Fit in the back of the passenger side wheelwell.

The center section is designed to fold down, and it WILL FOLD DOWN with the simple removal of ONE BOLT. Problem is that many of them have a vapor canister with hoses tucked inside them.....AND THE HOSES DON'T LIKE TO BE BENT!:eek:

Sooooo, if you're not using your accumulator tank [pretty much guarantee you're not] you can cap off the gas tank, remove the canister from the center section and start playing with you're new armrest.

I've seen a couple of neat cupholder setups made for these center pieces.

Best

Mark A.

seats

That's interesting I'll have to look closer at the seat now. My gas tank already had everything disconnected except the line to the engine so I never saw how it was originally

Is there a part number for this little middle seat

Is there a part number for this little middle seat? This is EXACTLY what I had in mind. I want to use have the bottom of that seat be the top of my tuffy console or equivalent.Flip the seat down and have arm rest deal. Flip it open and gf can slide on over on the long rides and flip it up to open the center console. I wont mind height adjusting the other seats or what ever an inch or two to make the seat bottoms all be level.:hmm:

Is there a part number for this little middle seat? This is EXACTLY what I had in mind. I want to use have the bottom of that seat be the top of my tuffy console or equivalent.Flip the seat down and have arm rest deal. Flip it open and gf can slide on over on the long rides and flip it up to open the center console. I wont mind height adjusting the other seats or what ever an inch or two to make the seat bottoms all be level.:hmm:

That would require a little more work than just pulling out the bolt.

I actually have a passenger seat that would accomodate your interests. Call me at the shop to follow up.:)

This option (3 backs) was only availablle in the 72 year model. It was standard until the buckets came out in 73.

The middle will fold down an act as an armrest or cup holder if you remove the bolt as mentioned above. Now if I can only find the headrests for this bench seat (there are provisions for them) I would be in FJ heaven...

:cheers:

seat

heres a pic of the middle seat folded. In the end I went with PRO CAR Ralleye seats for reclining and comfort but I did toy with the idea of using the middle folded.

I will be going with the buckets and a console like a tuffy or something for the storage and maybe my CB mount.

If anyone wants the seat or just the middle bit PM me.
seat.jpg

heres a pic of the middle seat folded. In the end I went with PRO CAR Ralleye seats for reclining and comfort but I did toy with the idea of using the middle folded.

I will be going with the buckets and a console like a tuffy or something for the storage and maybe my CB mount.

If anyone wants the seat or just the middle bit PM me.
\

PM sent.

I bought one of these from KillerbeeIII here on Mud back in the nineties. His is a 71. I also picked up a few of the skid plates from the rear wheel well tank that mark was talking about. Figured I use them to help keep mud out the rear corners of the tub.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom