FJ40 Rear Corner Windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working on a design for a half-cab for my Jeep Wrangler, using two large sunroofs so that essentially at the touch of a button, I can get the "topless" experience.

It's my daily driver and we have long highway drives to go to the desert so I'd like a little comfort on the way out there.

I'd also like to be able to see through the roof when driving through the desert in the heat, with the AC on.

Anyway - here's the design:

halftopsm.gif

The rear corner windows I put in because my current soft top has HUGE blind spots. I'm currently looking at the Toyota FJ40 as the ideal donor for the glass.

We have a few FJ's sitting in scrap yards here in the Middle East. How can I remove the glass without damaging it?

LOL I guess you call S-c-r-a-p yards Junkyards :)

razor blade :)

then push...they pop right out

the gasket around is still available as far as i know

....if you want it all out gasket and window undamaged ...it can be done....definatly 2 people...you can push out the gasket from the inside out with a screwdriverand it will come out.

the windows are also avail from toyota BTW

Why not just have a half cab soft top made? That would REALLY give you the topless feeling.

Like this

Two piece soft top, you can run topless with just the wind jammer or bikini top only. Or all on or all off. I hated my old roof for the blind spots so the new one had the side windows for that very reason.

10-07-066.jpg

10-07-067.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

30-07-06_1305.jpg

PS if your stuck I have a set of corner windows in my shed.

Last edited:
Like this

Two piece soft top, you can run topless with just the wind jammer or bikini top only. Or all on or all off.

10-07-066.jpg

10-07-067.jpg

that looks like an awesome set up. How much did that thing run you. I have a custome cage so my seats are set up to accomodate my height. I have a wicked blind spot with the hard top or a my best top soft top. I wouldn't mind that set up in the winter, still allowing easy access to the back.

Custom job by one of our club members. Top bloke top quality.

cockatoocanvas

I love the versatility of wind jammer or bikini.

Cost hmmmm mates rates I'm afraid so can't really help there.

Mates Rates :D I like the expression :D

Bestop makes a half top for the Wrangler which I have and I really like... but it's noisy like you cannot imagine. The whole top section just resonates as you go along. Also, visibility out the rear window is pretty bad once you get some dust on that screen.

lauriemo1.jpg

Mine's the one on the left.

I'll try to price up the windows and gaskets from TMC here in Dubai, but I'm sure it'll be a 1 month wait at least. It sometimes takes longer than that to get parts for my boss's 200-series Land Cruiser VXR.

I saw the write-up on reinstalling the front window, using a piece of rope all the way around to pry the gasket in. I'm guessing these corner windows follow the same principle? So to remove one with the gasket intact I have to pry the rubber up and over the metal cut-out in the top?

My roof has a hoop that tensions everything in conjunction with the 2 tabs that also tension the roof to the rear , you can see them clearly in the photo with my Navi Ben looking out the rear window, just to the bottom of the summer speaker mounts. This makes it as tight as a drum with minimal wind noise even at a 100K's. You can hold a convasation with out even rasing your voice, my 40 purrs too :D

Soon to ROAR though :hillbilly:

Mine goes on tight but over 120 km/h that tightness makes it like a subwoofer resonating...

Would anyone mind taking the time to measure the vertical height of the FJ40 windows? I've seen that they're taller than the FJ45, which is good. I want to find a sunroof that matches that height, in length.

Haha, not much experience at those speeds on this board...

Haha.... well I top out at around 145-150 now with the 35" tires. Before on the 33" tires I'd manage 160 km/h.

I've got a friend who has a 4.6L Stroker engine with regeared axles and his Jeep on 33" tires cruises comfortably over 185 km/h!!!

The height of the glass is about 15". And yes you remove and install the glass the same as the windshield.

Only 15 inches? Thought it was more than that. I know the FJ40 is taller than the FJ45...

Anyway that might be a Suburban sized sunroof opening for the back, rather than a H3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom