Aux/Long Range Fuel tank designs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This thread is for those of us who would like to fab/have fabbed a fuel tank for extra range. Please post designs/drawings, etc of any designs you have. Also mounting ideas, bolt pattern measurements etc.

For my purposes I need to make a tank that is auxiliary to my main tank (FJ62). It will be aluminum so it can be used for veggie oil, and should hold near to the same amount of fuel as the primary tank.

My mounting idea was to try and put it underneath the primary tank, where the spare tire usually goes. If anybody has any other ideas, or reasons why it shouldn't go there, please say. As is normal, there is already loads of weight in the back... however in my case I have slightly upgraded rear leafs, but not front ones...

Mounting... my ideas are: bolt to frame, make mounts that bolt AROUND frame, or possible attach in the same manner as the spare tire was attached.

For my purposes I need to make a tank that is auxiliary to my main tank (FJ62). It will be aluminum so it can be used for veggie oil, and should hold near to the same amount of fuel as the primary tank.

My mounting idea was to try and put it underneath the primary tank, where the spare tire usually goes. If anybody has any other ideas, or reasons why it shouldn't go there, please say. As is normal, there is already loads of weight in the back... however in my case I have slightly upgraded rear leafs, but not front ones...

Mounting... my ideas are: bolt to frame, make mounts that bolt AROUND frame, or possible attach in the same manner as the spare tire was attached.

My mate has one on his HJ61 mounted there and he has another mounted next to the tailshaft for a total of about 250L. Both made from steel. Sorry don't have any more details on it.

We make boats at work and we build our own fuel tanks. If making it from alloy make sure you get the correct grade alloy. A lot of alloys will get micro cracks in it when folded. I can't remember off the top of my head what grade the boys use ( I don't actually make the tanks). Make sure you leave an expansion void in the top of the tank above the maximum fill capacity to allow for hot days. The breathers need to be located properly too so it won't be a bitch to fill. Try to keep the filler and breather tubes from having low points in it too for ease of filling. Don't forget a drain bung in the bottom too.

I have an 80 series and have contemplated using a 40 series long range tank - it looks like it might fit in the spot where the spare sits now. I dont know much about the 60 series, but maybe it might for you guys too.

Karl

Unfortunately used gasoline tanks are no good for me, as the veggie oil is more corrosive... I must go aluminum or stainless.

can't remember where it was, but someone here mentioned an aluminum round tank made that fit exactly where the spare was. don't know how hard something like that would be to fab where you are, though. fast, quality TIG work in the third world?

For my '85 4runner, I bought a NOS Blazer diesel fuel tank from Coleman's Surplus out of PA. Cost was $25 plus $25 shipping. Capacity is 26 gallons and it fits perfectly where the spare tire used to go on the back end of my Toy.

Right now, I've only got some pics of the fab work, but no final installed pics, I need to take some tonight.

The fill hose exits right above the right rear tire, but needs some mods to work better.

It's nice having +45 gallons of fuel when out in the desert for those 1-2 week camping, hiking, ghost town exploring, shooting jack rabbits, hot springs trips!

Al

For my '85 4runner, I bought a NOS Blazer diesel fuel tank from Coleman's Surplus out of PA. Cost was $25 plus $25 shipping. Capacity is 26 gallons and it fits perfectly where the spare tire used to go on the back end of my Toy.

Right now, I've only got some pics of the fab work, but no final installed pics, I need to take some tonight.

The fill hose exits right above the right rear tire, but needs some mods to work better.

It's nice having +45 gallons of fuel when out in the desert for those 1-2 week camping, hiking, ghost town exploring, shooting jack rabbits, hot springs trips!

Al

any and all pics are not only high desired but almost mandatory;).....

All I got right now.

As you can see from the installed pics, I underestimated the forces on the rear of the tank - the breakage you see occurred at between Double Hot Springs and the Black Rock Hot Springs in the Black Rock Desert. Fortunately, a ratchet strap held it until I could get home and permanently fix it.

I'll get some more pics of it tonight.

Thanks,

Al
IMG_4110.JPG_s.jpg
IMG_9005.JPG_s.jpg
IMG_9007.JPG_s.jpg

wow that's 26 gallons? Almost hard to believe... it looks smaller than the other tank. Nice stuff!

wow that's 26 gallons? Almost hard to believe... it looks smaller than the other tank. Nice stuff!

I was surprised too. I checked it out by measuring it and computing the volume and it came out just above 26 gallons.

Someone with access to GM parts catalog can confirm with this pic of the OEM GM sticker:
IMG_4097.JPG_s.jpg

What is everyone doing for fuel gages / sending units? I'd like to avoid them alltogether if possible.

What is everyone doing for fuel gages / sending units? I'd like to avoid them alltogether if possible.

You don't have to add them if you don't want them. A neighbor just grabbed one from a junkyard truck of the same type as his. Hacked it into his dash.

I had a buddy who had an aux fuel tank installed in his 4runner that just gravity fed into his main tank.

when the main tank started to run low, he flipped a switch which opened a valve, and main tank got fuller again.

pretty simple and added 10 or so gallons to his capacity, which is a nice amount of reserve to have.

I think that the top of the reserve tank was still lower than the top of the main fuel filler neck, so even if the valve failed in the open position, it wouldnt' overflow the main tank.

I had a buddy who had an aux fuel tank installed in his 4runner that just gravity fed into his main tank.

when the main tank started to run low, he flipped a switch which opened a valve, and main tank got fuller again.

pretty simple and added 10 or so gallons to his capacity, which is a nice amount of reserve to have.

I think that the top of the reserve tank was still lower than the top of the main fuel filler neck, so even if the valve failed in the open position, it wouldnt' overflow the main tank.

I like this idea, seems simpler than a whole additional tank.

yeah but both tanks are mixed. For me the advantage of an aux tank over a single long range tank would be the ability to keep alternative fuels separate from standard tank of diesel...

yeah but both tanks are mixed. For me the advantage of an aux tank over a single long range tank would be the ability to keep alternative fuels separate from standard tank of diesel...

The show extreme4x4 had a Suzuki samurai with a setup you’re thinking about. It had two tanks, one for diesel and the other for veggie oil. It would start on diesel until the veggie oil heated up properly then they would switch over to the other tank. They used a kit that included a solenoid shutoff valve. If you shut off the vehicle with the veggie oil running it would switch to diesel before turning off. This prevented veggie oil from cooling and gumming up the fuel lines. Search for that show on the internet. They had a lot of cool resources and suggestions for the project.

This is how my Aux Fuel Systems (now defunct) aux fuel tank worked on my '85 Nissan pickup except there was no vavle, it was a constant feed to the OEM tank.

30 gallon total capacity, +550 mile range even out in the desert - it was very handy.

Too bad the Feds have made gravity feed illegal for gas-fueled vehicles.

Al

How are the feds supposed to know you have an extra gas tank? What do you mean my spare tire looks like a gas tank! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom