'88 4Runner SAS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The wheels are turning now on my Solid Axle Swap on my 1988 4Runner, with a 3.0L V-6. Thanks to the help of Albert and friends, we were able to remove the '85 front axle from a donor truck. I will be using the Trail-Gear 5'' SAS kit (front) and 5'' Lift kit (rear). The power will get to the wheels with new 5.29 gears and Detroit Lockers front and rear.Right now I am just cleaning up axle parts and ordering parts, but the work will soon begin.

Along with Albert's guidance, the start date for transformation is June 10, 2008 and a few days there after. Help would be greatly appreciated or if you would just like to watch and learn plan to stop by. :clap::clap::clap:

Hey how much for the kick a$$ factory auto locking hubs on the donor axle :flipoff2:

:eek: Thats awesome John and you have the right man for the job Albert does great work. Thats going to be and awesome setup. Whats the plan on tire size with the 5.29's? I'm looking forward to seeing the build. I'm always happy to lend a hand though this month is tough for me to do anything and I'll be in Tennessee 1st - 9th. Where are you doing the work?

The wheels are turning now on my Solid Axle Swap on my 1988 4Runner, with a 3.0L V-6. Thanks to the help of Albert and friends, we were able to remove the '85 front axle from a donor truck. I will be using the Trail-Gear 5'' SAS kit (front) and 5'' Lift kit (rear). The power will get to the wheels with new 5.29 gears and Detroit Lockers front and rear.Right now I am just cleaning up axle parts and ordering parts, but the work will soon begin.

Along with Albert's guidance, the start date for transformation is June 10, 2008 and a few days there after. Help would be greatly appreciated or if you would just like to watch and learn plan to stop by. :clap::clap::clap:

Yeah yeah.... where are all the pics???? ;p

Man four link that beast so I can learn from your mistakes ;)

Yeah yeah.... where are all the pics???? ;p

X2

:eek: Thats awesome John and you have the right man for the job Albert does great work. Thats going to be and awesome setup. Whats the plan on tire size with the 5.29's? I'm looking forward to seeing the build. I'm always happy to lend a hand though this month is tough for me to do anything and I'll be in Tennessee 1st - 9th. Where are you doing the work?
X2 You can't go wrong with Albert. I have seen his SWEET build. His stuff looks like it was done at the factory.

Larry is going to Tennessee. Does this mean the traveling thread is going to finally have some diversity?

X2
Larry is going to Tennessee. Does this mean the traveling thread is going to finally have some diversity?

:lol:, I can sure add some mountain pics to it.

Sorry, no pictures yet we were to busy and dirty tearing that axle out. I will have some to post after the next session.

Finally had time to start cleaning some parts, and apply some paint to the area that don't get something welded on or cut off.
Toyota SAS 001.jpg
Going to have a black axle and red knuckles (to match the truck body).
Toyota SAS 002.jpg
Toyota SAS 001.jpg
Toyota SAS 002.jpg

Cut off the unnecessary brackets and tabs today, also got to weld in some nuts for the steering stops. That will be all for a couple of weeks until I return from work. Hopefully there will be a big pile of new parts in my shed when I return.
Toyota SAS 003.jpg
Toyota SAS 004.jpg
Toyota SAS 003.jpg
Toyota SAS 004.jpg

Cut off the unnecessary brackets and tabs today, also got to weld in some nuts for the steering stops. That will be all for a couple of weeks until I return from work. Hopefully there will be a big pile of new parts in my shed when I return.
View attachment 232100
View attachment 232101

Hey what are you doing we need that bracket to hook up the axle :meh: ???

Just kidding I couldn't resist :flipoff2: LOL

Hey what are you doing we need that bracket to hook up the axle :meh: ???

Its OK I know a guy that could weld it back on. Ha!

The parts are arriving hope they all there. We will start on the gears and lockers the first week I am home and then the fab work.:deadhorse:
Toyota Springs 2.jpg
Toyota Springs.jpg
Toyota Springs 2.jpg
Toyota Springs.jpg

Nice to see that some parts are showing up for your truck.

The tire and rims if I read the add correctly are 16.5 rims? Becareful if you pick these up the safety bead is different on 16.5 rims.When or if you run your tires at low air pressure they lose a bead easy. Check around on the internet to make sure I'm correct on this.Just my .02

Finally made it home from work and started looking through the parts received. Soon after my friend shows up and next thing I know the rear axle is disassembled. We loaded up the third members and rear shafts to start the gear swap along with installing lockers at the shop in Franklin.
axle2.jpg
axle3.jpg
axles.jpg
axle2.jpg
axle3.jpg
axles.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom