For those with ARB air lockers in their 80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone running the larger ARB compressor? (CKMA12)

I found it strange that the box clearly shows some guy airing up a tire...

...but after digging through the box and checking the parts checklist, it says that requires some 1-2 solenoid, and you have to figure out your own quick disconnect and air hose - since NONE of that is included.

air-locker-compressor.gif

Larger picture of the box art:

arb-air-compressor.jpg

So...is that 1 to 2 extension piece...just 1 entry and 2 exits or is it more complicated than that with a valve in there or something?

I have a 20lb Powertank and want to be able to use the ARB compressor as a back up in case I run out of CO2 when airing back up someday. No sense in carrying my little MV50 with me everywhere since the ARB compressor will already be installed.

While it seems I can mount the compressor anywhere - does anyone have pics of how they mounted theirs in the engine bay?

Shoot its really hard to tell from that pic. I don't see why you'd have to buy a solenoid. You should be able to screw the
fitting right into the side of the regulator side.

Here's how i did my 1st generation ARB compressor. But maybe they've changed them that much to where it's way different now. You cannot see the regulator cause its on the bottom of the air quick disconnect. The piece the quick disconnect is connected to has 2 ports.

Last edited:
See the mini-compressor has 3 air outputs, so you have Front Locker, Air Chuck, Rear Locker.

This "high output" big compressor only has 1 output. (the red dust cover is in it now)

So am I going to need to have a 1 to 3 air hub?

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

if it only has one hole, than you could put a slee manifold on it (or any simple manifold)
Slee - Compressed Air Products

the press photo is small but looks like maybe it's a 3 into 1 manifold screwed into the one hole in the compressor

I guess Im going to need a 1 to 4 manifold...

Front Locker, Rear Locker, Limit switch (or whatever its called) and air hose quick disconnect.

Its weird that the ARB installation guide makes no mention of this... Even if you're installing only 1 locker, you still have to install the limit switch so there would be 2 items on only 1 port...with no manifold to do so.

?!?!?!!?!?

D'oh...

I figured it out.

The 2 allen key things on the upper cylinder are ports for each locker solenoid.

I found 1 tiny schematic in the paperwork that shows the pressure switch it attached to where the red dust cover is installed now.

IMG_0756.jpg

Looks like I'll just need a 1-2 adaptor...so I can connect the pressure switch and the quick disconnect for the air hose at the red dust cover port.

Too much thinking after driving all day long. Nap time.

Ok, so compressor is all built up.

How long does the ARB run when you turn on the compressor to switch on the lockers?

Since this compressor is a bit larger than the small ARB compressor I'm finding it hard to figure out where I could mount it in the engine bay without problems.

I'm thinking of mounting it in the interior behind the rearmost passenger side interior plastic since that is just empty space.

I have mine mounted in the compartment in the trim on the right hand side in the cargo area. Mine is a Big Red not an ARB but runs to a tank under the rear. Runs the locker and does the tyres.I found with it under the bonnet it got too hot and would cut out earlier as it has a thermal protection cut out switch.

Ok, so compressor is all built up.

How long does the ARB run when you turn on the compressor to switch on the lockers?

Maybe 10 sec on first powerup. When engaging the lockers, only 1-2 sec. New one seems to run much less than the 1st gen.

What you are looking at is a ARB air up kit for the compressor. Not supplied with the compressor. The T fitting iS BSP.

With your tires, the ARB is going to be waste of time. Put that money towards a better system.

I installed mine in the rear quarter panel where the stock jack used to be.

I tried airing up my 35's ONCE with the ARB. I will only do that again in emergency. If you try to air up your tires with that compressor, I think you will strangle yourself with the airhose long before you get the first tire filled.:bang:

What you are looking at is a ARB air up kit for the compressor. Not supplied with the compressor. The T fitting iS BSP.

With your tires, the ARB is going to be waste of time. Put that money towards a better system.

what would you suggest for tires his size? York with tank?

I have the new compressor mounted on Slee's bracket and I am also using his manifold. IMHO, it is by far the best and cleanest way to mount it all. I used my rear locker yesterday during about 5hrs of wheeling and it only cycled for about 1-2sec each time I engaged the rear. I filled up my tires with it after and it is definitely faster than the old one, but I would not use it on your tires.
P5110040.jpg

Make sure you have a full tank of gas if you need to air up a tire and maybe an aux gas tank if you need to air up all four.

heh...no doubt. with your big meats Cody..a puny compressor is going to take for.....ever. i think the warn powerplant would be minimum setup youd want to use, short of anything heavier duty like a york OBA or a viair setup. the arb's simply dont put out enough to air up 4 tires within a reasonable amount of time.

use arb compressors for arb lockers. for tires bigger than 30", find something that puts out a decent amount of air. no use in wearing out the arb compressor for something its not really meant to be doing...

just my 2¢

I have a 20lb powertank for airing up the tires..and I've been using a Costco MV50 little $50 compressor for a few months - it just takes about 6-8 minutes per tire.

While I have ginormous tires to air up.....its usually just from 10psi trail pressure to 25psi street pressure.

I haven't even turned on the ARB compressor yet to test it, but I can't imagine its going to be far off from the MV50 in output.

Either way, its only a backup in case I run out of CO2 on the trail.

I didn't know you could mount the compressor vertically...that does make it a lot easier.

I have a 20lb powertank for airing up the tires..and I've been using a Costco MV50 little $50 compressor for a few months - it just takes about 6-8 minutes per tire.

While I have ginormous tires to air up.....its usually just from 10psi trail pressure to 25psi street pressure.

I haven't even turned on the ARB compressor yet to test it, but I can't imagine its going to be far off from the MV50 in output.

Either way, its only a backup in case I run out of CO2 on the trail.

I didn't know you could mount the compressor vertically...that does make it a lot easier.

The MV50 is far better than the large ARB compressor. Thats personal experience, I don't know what the data is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom