ARB compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.employees.org
I finally cleaned up the electrical wirings for all the accessories and re-hooked up my ARB compressors and front and rear air lockers. It has been sometimes since the last time I used the lockers so I forgot if this was always the behavior:

When I turn the ignition key to on or turn the key to ACC, the compressor starts to run no matter if the compressor button is on or off. Is it the correct behavior for ARB compressor?

Thanks in advance.

/td

When I turn the ignition key to on or turn the key to ACC, the compressor starts to run no matter if the compressor button is on or off. Is it the correct behavior for ARB compressor?

No.

The compressor should not cycle unless you have the compressor switch in the ON position.

However, the compressor switch being in the ON position only supplies power to the pressure switch, and provided the pressure is low enough, will then provide power to the air compressor relay, in turn, supplying power to the air compressor motor.

Verify your wiring, as you have switched power going to your air compressor relay and by-passing your control switch.

You should be able to turn the control switch off, and not have the compressor keep running.

depending on year of the wiring diagram, you may have a 'master ARB switch' (or, as you call it 'compressor button') that is designed to turn the compressor on, and can be engaged after the ignition is on - it may even be wired to be operated independently of ignition directly off the battery (which is what I have)

in the wiring diagram followed in the installation in my husband's truck (later installation date by about 10 yearsor so), the ARB compressor is wired to ACC/ignition on, which means it automatically turns on with the key, and typically charges every time when the air pressure is low (there is no separate 'compressor button' in this case, only the two locker buttons)

sounds like you have a cross-over between these two scenarios :confused:

other differences between earlier and later ARB wiring harnesses are: a) whether or not the operation of the front locker is independent of the rear or not, and b) whether the locker buttons are illuminated any time you have the headlights on (which is what my husband has), only when the master ARB switch is also on, or only when the individual locker switch is pushed (which is what I have)

You should be able to turn the control switch off, and not have the compressor keep running.

follows from above: this would be according to the earlier wiring scenario

Last edited:
Thanks Poser and Claudia.

Yes have the older wirings which is about 8 years old so that explains it. Now, I remembered I used to disconnect the power to the compressor until I got the trail to avoid it cycle unnesessarily.

Has anyone tried to mess with their older ARB wirings so it works just like the newer on?

Edit: OMG, my memory is coming back from 8+ years ago, I remembered asking ARB how to add the compressor button into my setup and ARB customer supports actually sent me a hand-draw diagram and the switch...That explains how I got an odd ball... And I couldn't find the old ARB wiring diagram anymore...

/td

Last edited:
Thanks Poser and Claudia.

Yes have the older wirings which is about 8 years old so that explains it. Now, I remembered I used to disconnect the power to the compressor until I got the trail to avoid it cycle unnesessarily.

Has anyone tried to mess with their older ARB wirings so it works just like the newer on?

/td

the switches (assuming we are talking rocker switches not push buttons - they have fewer connectors) can be wired either way with the ARB-provided harness - it just depends what you plug where (no snipping necessary ;p :lol:)

I got my truck with the old push buttons (happily sold) and then installed the newer rocker switches - so, yes, the old wiring is compatible with new switches, and the older wiring diagram can be changed to newer configuration [just for the curious: the push buttons have fewer connectors, meaning the illumination options are limited if you make the front dependent on the rear....]

what configuration exactly do YOU want to achieve ?

[I should mention that I find it funny when my husband's ARB charges in a mall parking lot :lol:]

[it also seems by now he has recognized the limitations of having the front locker dependent on the rear....he just hasn't rewired yet :D]

Last edited:
[it also seems by now he has recognized the limitations of having the front locker dependent on the rear....he just hasn't rewired yet :D]

Having the front dependent on the rear is the correct and safest way to wire it. ARB does not consider it safe to have the front axle locked with the rear open.

what configuration exactly do YOU want to achieve ?

All switches are the newer ARB rocker styled. I was thinking the compressor should be cycle _only_ when the compressor button is on but it doesn't work this way in my setup, currently compressor button function as a master switch for front and rear locker but has no control over the compressor.

My current setup is front locker can only be switched on if the rear locker is switched on first.

My guess is if I updated the wiring looms from ARB, I can get it works just the way it should be but Rubithon is coming up fast so I'm not going to mess with it now.

Thanks.

My guess is if I updated the wiring looms from ARB, I can get it works just the way it should be but Rubithon is coming up fast so I'm not going to mess with it now.

good idea :idea:

actually, you would only need to change the wiring for the compressor and the compressor switch - no need for new ARB wiring looms

once you get around to it, you are welcome to contact me and I'll send you a diagram of my set-up (and my husband's set-up if I can find his diagram :rolleyes:)

or get the recommended wiring diagram from ARB directly - I have found their customer service very helpful...........just call them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom