Brake Caliper Bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
First off, I've done some searching and it appears as though the bolts that hold the caliper to the knuckle on my 83 60 (Nov.82 actually) are 12M1.25 50mm with a head size of 17mm.

Is this correct?

Furthermore, the boss in the knuckle is somewhat stripped (had to remove a brakeline bracket to get them to tighten)

So....

Heli-coil or Time Sert?

Kit number # ???
Source???

It kind of depends on what you want to do. I had a stripped boss and tapped it to 1/2 inch fine thread (drilled first with the proper sized bit) and it worked perfectly. You will also need to run a 1/2 bit through the hole in the caliper ear. The whole job took maybe 15 minutes. Use lots of "Tap-eze" to make the threads in the iron knuckle housing. Mine came out so clean, they looked factory. To secure the caliper, you run a fine thread 1/2 bolt.

i assume...

It kind of depends on what you want to do. I had a stripped boss and tapped it to 1/2 inch fine thread (drilled first with the proper sized bit) and it worked perfectly. You will also need to run a 1/2 bit through the hole in the caliper ear. The whole job took maybe 15 minutes. Use lots of "Tap-eze" to make the threads in the iron knuckle housing. Mine came out so clean, they looked factory. To secure the caliper, you run a fine thread 1/2 bolt.

I assume length is important as the bolt protrudes into the inside of the knuckle doesn't it?

btw, thanks for the data!

Last edited:
Post 290 page 10 in my build thread shows that I did the same thing but didn't have to clearance the caliper holes. I used 1/2" x 20 (fine).

You still have to tap the threads, he is saying he didn't need to clearence the hole in the caliper ear. I did, but not by much.

Thanks.

Cruiserdrew is right, I did have to tap in the threads.

I used a helicoil for the original sized bolt. It's probably more expensive than taping for 1/2", unless you already have the correct sized helicoils and tap. But I wanted to stay with the same sized hardware so there would be no confusion in the future. I've had no problem so far with the helicoil approach.

now...

I used a helicoil for the original sized bolt. It's probably more expensive than taping for 1/2", unless you already have the correct sized helicoils and tap. But I wanted to stay with the same sized hardware so there would be no confusion in the future. I've had no problem so far with the helicoil approach.

now if only i could find out if the size I posited is the right one....:p

I checked what I have in the garage--I have three sizes of metric helicoils: 8x1.25, 10x1.25 and 12x1.25. So it must be one of those. The part number is 90101-12060, if that helps. If you want I guess, I would guess it's the 10mm diameter. I think the 12mm is too large diameter to require drilling for a 1/2" tap. A 1/2"x20 tap uses a 29/64" drill bit which is 11.5mm. This seems smaller than the 12mm bolt hole, but larger than the 10mm.

Last edited:
thanks

I checked what I have in the garage--I have three sizes of metric helicoils: 8x1.25, 10x1.25 and 12x1.25. So it must be one of those. The part number is 90101-12060, if that helps. If you want I guess, I would guess it's the 10mm diameter. I think the 12mm is too large diameter to require drilling for a 1/2" tap. A 1/2"x20 tap uses a 29/64" drill bit which is 11.5mm. This seems smaller than the 12mm bolt hole, but larger than the 10mm.

thanks for looking

Could this re tap be done while the knuckle is still on the vehicle? I am donen with the rebuild and don't want to take it all apart again.

Thanks!

Tapped it with a 1/2-20 fine thread tap and used a 1/2 -20 bolt. Worked great!

Later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom