4.56 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody running 4.56 on 35" or smaller tires? I really don't have any complaints about my stock gears but if I did upgrade this would seem like all that is needed if I can find them.

With the flood of new 80 owners in the last few years, the 4.88 mind set has nearly overrun. 4.56 gears and 315s (34.8") will put you back dead stock. In altitude the heavier tires will be felt with the 4.56 gears but I don't think it necessarily justifies going to 4.88s. It's fine for the truck to down shift to pull a long hill at near 70mph speeds.

I do like my 4.88 and 36s but still find it slightly on the low side. Doing 70mph or especially 80mph in west Texas sucks watching the tack at 2800 rpm. I could not stand 315s with 4.88s personally. I did leave myself room to grow though. Depending on the wheeling future for the 80, it may see 38s or 39s. :D

Last edited:
apcoleman is running 4.56 with 33's I believe.

his truck is featured in the ROTW section.

unless he has gone to 35's since I last saw the truck.

I have 315 BFG ATs with 4.56 and am very happy with the performance. Accelerates fast enough for me and runs great on the freeway.

I have 315 BFG ATs with 4.56 and am very happy with the performance. Accelerates fast enough for me and runs great on the freeway.

where's the rpm at when you cruise at 70mph?

Gearing ratio choice is not a single variable.

What are you after?

5.29's made sense for me for 35's, and getting back in from Moab, which includes crossing the Rockies and wheeling in some incredibly steep terrain, I continue to love them. Got almost 14 mpg on the trip back driving 65-70 mph.

4.56's for 315's to me mean that speeds over 80 mph are important, you live someplace very flat, and spending $1,700 over pressing the PWR button and correcting your speedo with a $100 Yellow Box makes sense :flipoff2:

All joking aside, gear ratios that are only one step up or down are largely a tuning decision, so it really depends on what you want to tune. Gearing ratios that jump a step or two begin to shift performance to a certain bias, and if you are going to choose those ratios, that shift in bias should fit your preference.

As we see in a post above, there is a thought process that 4.88 gears provide headroom for tires 37" and above, whereas I would say for my usage that 5.29's don't provide headroom for tires above 37" and I wouldn't like the decrease in rock crawling gearing to even go up to 37's.

Lots of flavors here. The reason 4.88's are something of a standard is you are getting a bit of gearing reduction with 315's to help compensate for lift, extra weight, and rolling resistance of large tires, and most people aren't trying to run a tire that big at speeds in excess of 80 mph. In the sense of biasing with a two ratio jump, this tends to make sense. YMMV.

4.56 would certainly make sense for 33's if you want to tune it that way.

Nay,
I think I saw you on the way back from Moab. It's hard to tell. I was doing 80 MPH while pulling a 20ft. trailer up the big hills. There was a flash of white, which I thought might be you...:p

Seriously though, I managed to control myself and drive about 70-75MPH with the trailer. 4.88s are nice offroad, 5.29s would be nicer, but I'm too impatient and my S/C likes to boost!:cool:

Nay,
I think I saw you on the way back from Moab. It's hard to tell. I was doing 80 MPH while pulling a 20ft. trailer up the big hills. There was a flash of white, which I thought might be you...:p

Seriously though, I managed to control myself and drive about 70-75MPH with the trailer. 4.88s are nice offroad, 5.29s would be nicer, but I'm too impatient and my S/C likes to boost!:cool:

5.29 would be hell with a SC. I don't like pulling 200 lbs of luggage up the passes, much less a trailer. 70-75? Right. Try 40-45.

Maybe in a few years I should turbo it and run 37's :grinpimp:

Who all makes 4.88's for the fzj80, I know precision gear makes em, but called reider racing and they are on backorder with no eta.

Check out ringpinionbiz.com. They are a mud sponsor.

sooo.... 4:56's with 31's for towing 4900 lbs on 6% grade aint too bad? and 33's with out towing?

I pulled that up 6% grade stock with 31's and was going 18-25 mph.... it sucked HARD!!!!!! I would hate to repeat that.... or should I just rent a truck for the 4 days Ill be out?

sooo.... 4:56's with 31's for towing 4900 lbs on 6% grade aint too bad? and 33's with out towing?

I pulled that up 6% grade stock with 31's and was going 18-25 mph.... it sucked HARD!!!!!! I would hate to repeat that.... or should I just rent a truck for the 4 days Ill be out?

I'm guessing this is in part to my post. The question wasn't posed for the 3fe 80 series and I usally leave them out unless specifically stated. However, the 3fe is a slightly different beast and though having never owned one I get the feeling it can use all the help it can get.

BTW, I don't think towing was mentioned either but stock for stock the 80 isn't a great tow vehicle. Unless it's a small M1 type which was pretty much the intention by Toyota.

5.29 would be hell with a SC. I don't like pulling 200 lbs of luggage up the passes, much less a trailer. 70-75? Right. Try 40-45.

Maybe in a few years I should turbo it and run 37's :grinpimp:

4.88s can be tough with the SC. It just wants to go.:cool: I wish T-case gears were an option like in the minitrucks. Then I could comfortably cruise at 80-85 on the highway and get the crawling gears that are needed for the trails as well...

Regearing is like many modification aspects; it isn't black and white. You need to be honest with yourself about your needs and wants.

Running 35's and regearing to 4.56's seems a waste to me. Too much $, not enough reward. If you're happy with stock gearing and your type of wheeling, leave it alone.

I wasn't and went to 5.29's. It was the best decision for me and I'm with Nay in saying that I don't feel as if the 5.29's are going to be low enough for 37's (which I will be running soon, I hope). While very expensive, I'm starting to accept that lower ratio (low)transfer case gears may be part of my move to 37's.

I'm just thinking 4.88's might be a little much for me. I'm happy with my stock gears but will be retiring my 80 to mostly off roading in the near future so 4.88's might be a consideration then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom