Toyo Open Country A/T 285R75 18 review? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone using this tire and specific size and care to add feedback for me?

Thanks,
Dan

Isn't that basically like a Nitto TG? I could be mistaken.

Isn't that basically like a Nitto TG? I could be mistaken.

Pint,

Toyo, per my buddy Redline, owns Nitto. But there is a tread style difference. Actually I like the slightly more open tread pattern a little better on the Nitto...but oddly Nitto doesn't offer this size in their AT. And I do not know if the rubber compounds are identical between the Toyo OC AT and the Nitto?

I knew one owned the other, just wasn't sure which was which! If it's any consolation, I love my Nitto's.

the 75 ratio is unusual for a 285 on 18...
they're usually 60 or 65.
Must not be that many out there...

can't speak for that specific size but the Toyo is a good tire IMO.

the 75 ratio is unusual for a 285 on 18...
they're usually 60 or 65.
Must not be that many out there...

Exactly. I want a 285 width but 35" height tire...and Toyo just started offering this size in their AT and MT line in 18". I'd prefer 16" but 18" will work just fine I think.

Dan , I was using that tire but not in that size.
It was a great tire but I ripping them up on the rocks.

ken

Dan , I was using that tire but not in that size.
It was a great tire but I ripping them up on the rocks.

ken

Ken: This tire, depending upon size, comes in either "D" load rating (2-ply sidewall) or "E" load rating (3-ply sidewall/same as their MT...the size I am looking at is "E" rated/3-ply sidewall/10-ply rated). Where did you rip your tire? And did you have the 2-ply/D rated tire or the 3-ply/E rated tire when you ripped?

I do appreciate your feedback!

Those were the 2 ply model.
The sidewall had some small rips ( not quite to the cords ) and it was chunking out the tread.
They wernt wheeled very long or hard but I didnt think they would hold up in the long term.

That said they were super grippy and had great road compliance.

hth
ken

I think we have that exact tire on our '06 F-350. It was one of the few tires available to replace the factory POS continentals. Anyway - had pretty good luck, tread life was about 38K, just bought new set last week and they gave us a smokin good deal on the new set at the Carson City Les Schwaab store. We pull pretty heavy loads and they seem to hold up fine - not too bad in the snow either. I just put a set of Toyo M55 255/85R16 on my '02 and it has been a great upgrade to go a size larger than stock, feels like a new truck again

We run Toyos on all our trucks and pickups and have been very happy - Les Scwaab treats us well on a commercial account also but the tires are great

Well...they're ordered. After I get the new wheels and tires mounted and then some miles on them I'll report back. Hopefully it's the tire 'bullseye' I have been after. Yet another experiment. ;)

Well...they're ordered. After I get the new wheels and tires mounted and then some miles on them I'll report back. Hopefully it's the tire 'bullseye' I have been after. Yet another experiment. ;)

Are you putting them on LC 18's?

Are you putting them on LC 18's?

18" aluminum Tundra wheels. Didn't particularly want to go to 18"...but had to to get the ~35" x 285.

So Toyo has a mud tire which fits the 18" wheels.... I might have to stick with what I have then.

Yeah, they have the MT available in the same size.

So Toyo has a mud tire which fits the 18" wheels.... I might have to stick with what I have then.

I like the idea of a 285 width on a 35" tire. Can't wait to test 'em out!

:rolleyes:Ok...got the Toyo Open Country AT 285R75 18 tires mounted about 10-days ago on my '99 Hundy. I've put over 400 hundred miles on them in the last week and here are some of the differences I've noticed compared to the Goodyear MT/R 315R75 16 that I had been running the past 3-years.

The new combo tire and alloy wheel (Tundra OEM alloy wheel; brand new tire): 99lbs. (15% heavier!)
The old combo tire and alloy wheel (OEM LC alloy wheel; 1/3 worn tread): 84lbs.

Initially the rig looked neked! No question: The MT/R's win hands down in the looks department. But having said that the look of the tall and relatively skinny Toyo AT's are kinda starting to grow on me.

I can tell the new combo is heavier: The rig takes a bit more energy and/or time to get up to speed. MPG is about a wash...I get a little less actually with the new combo, in spite of the AT tread, around town. However the new combo is slightly better on the highway in regards to MPG. Kinda makes sense: Takes more energy to initiate wheel rotation but the smoother tread probably makes up for it after cruising speed is reached and maintained.

I was able to drive a 50-mile stretch of gravel road with washboard, tight turns and flat out stretches with each new/old combo within a week of each other. The new combo handles the washboard better (more controlled) as well as providing better grip in the corners at higher cornering speeds. I was surprised by this: I assumed the MT/R tread would provide better gravel road handling characteristics. And I was surprised too since the MT/R is a "D" rated tire and the Toyo in this size is an "E" rated tire with the same 3-ply sidewall as the Toyo OC MT!

The Toyo's win hands down in the balance department. These are as smooth and balanced as everyone that has compared Toyo's to Goodyear's before me has stated.

There is no comparison, of course, on road: Better handling, smoother, quieter, etc. with the Toyo AT: No surprise there. However at 50psi they definitely feel like an E rated tire! They are definitely firm riding. I will probably try them at 45psi to feel the difference. Also this is the identical carcass (sidewall, tread, etc) to the E rated Toyo Open Country MT.

I did just a little trail driving and didn't really notice a negative to the AT tread. However I need to spend alot more time on rock strewn trails, etc to lay down a fair assessment. I would expect to see a drop in this performance arena; but we shall see.

Just thought someone might like to know...

Dan
DSC_2773.jpg
DSC_2774.jpg
DSC_2775.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom