Techie ideas for FJ (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thinkin'

As I look for more excuses to trade in my fiancee's Camry (NOT my 80!) on a Sandstorm FJC, some of the practical things that help me hold back at this point are:

VISIBILITY: Specifically, first and foremost that hugemongous D (or whatever letter it is) pillar! Don't see what the point is - it's not retro IMO, and the practical complaints about it have surely piled up to the point where I would hope they'll fix this ASAP. I have some hope after seeing the convertible concept from SEMA 07; while a soft top, it didn't try to mimic the pillar so hopefully they'll also fix it on the hard top. I think the truck would just look better (maybe even more retro) as well.

FRONT SEAT BELT: Attaching to the suicide door is SO impractical; again, WHY?!? Shouldn't be too hard - Ford pulled it off on my 2000 F-150.

SUICIDE DOOR ENTRY: Just add an exterior handle for easy access without opening the front door, a la the suicide doors on the old Tundra.

OPERATIONAL REAR WINDOWS: I'd vote for manual sliding rear quarter windows (80-series) and/or roll-down suicide door window (also vote for the power up/down rear window), but anything to allow some ventilation back there would be appreciated.

LARGER TIRES: A 33" factory tire option would be awesome, but at least allow for reasonable upsizing without having to mess with frame components, etc. Also a la Land Cruiser, would be nice to easily fit 33" without a lift if you're not going to be hitting the trails hard.

FENDER/ENGINE BAY BULGE: This and any other quality/durability issue that's come up needs to be fixed yesterday - it's a Toyota!

Those are probably the issues that, if addressed, would likely make it near impossible for me to resist any longer. Other realistic things I'd love to see (many or most already brought up here or elsewhere) are:

FULL-TIME 4WD OPTION WITH AUTO TRANS
2ND GEAR START OPTION WITH AUTO TRANS
BEEFIER REAR DIFF - Full floater preferably
GRAB HANDLES - Passenger glove box, rear passengers
SIDE-ROUTED EXHAUST
SUNROOF
REAR SEATS FOLD FLAT
CONTROL ARMS - strength & location
STRONGER (STEEL!) & MORE FACTORY SKID PLATES
WIDER FACTORY ROCK RAILS - more side (door) protection vs. just rockers
SPARE TIRE MOUNTED TO BUMPER/FRAME (NOT BODY/SWING GATE)
GEAR-DRIVEN T-CASE - Throw in a timing chain (vs. belt) while you're at it...
LOWER T-CASE GEAR RATIO OPTION - Both ~2.5: AND 4:1, not one or the other.
FACTORY FRONT LOCKER - Nice-to-have, though it sounds like ATRAC helps make up for lack of it.
4.7L V8 AND/OR DIESEL OPTION - Probably unrealistic, but since it's the Prado/4Runner platform...also wouldn't mind seeing Toyota bring back an indestructible inline 6.
'GRANNY' (5:1 OR LOWER) 1ST GEAR OPTION (MANUAL TRANS) - Already at (a respectable) 4:1...why not?
MORE FJ40 COLOR OPTIONS - Freeborn Red, Mustard, Olive, etc.
TT SE BLACKOUT TREATMENT - Standard color scheme option

LISTEN TO THE TRAIL TEAMS - And the rest of us...especially when it's very practical and realistic feedback!

:beer:

Last edited:
Grab handles for getting to back seats...power back window...back side windows that open...side exhaust exit...read wind deflector...the back gets incredibly dirty...

Lower Idle Speed

How about making the engine idle spdde lower. AND putting in a lower reverse gear? Mine backs up WAY too fast! It's got to be hard on the clutch, having to keep slipping it to keep from "launching" the car backward into aparking spot or out of the garage.

Woodeye

Need some freakin help

I installed the TRD CAI last night. I reconnected the battery, reset the clock and turned the seatbelt alarm off. The compass is kicking my a:censor: though. Its flashing, and wont stop. I have followed the manual and forum advise. Drivin in about 25 circles in both directions. Started and turned off and restarted my truck and it wont stop flashing. Everytime I try I get the error message. I have tried in a few different places to reset it. ANY SUGGESTIONS AT ALL BEFORE THIS DRIVES ME EVEN MORE CRAZY!! thanks.

I installed the TRD CAI last night. I reconnected the battery, reset the clock and turned the seatbelt alarm off. The compass is kicking my a:censor: though. Its flashing, and wont stop. I have followed the manual and forum advise. Drivin in about 25 circles in both directions. Started and turned off and restarted my truck and it wont stop flashing. Everytime I try I get the error message. I have tried in a few different places to reset it. ANY SUGGESTIONS AT ALL BEFORE THIS DRIVES ME EVEN MORE CRAZY!! thanks.

I haven't recalibrated my compass in a while, but I believe it is in the button pushing time - you hold the button 10 seconds and then do your circles at 5 mph or so for a minute?

I haven't recalibrated my compass in a while, but I believe it is in the button pushing time - you hold the button 10 seconds and then do your circles at 5 mph or so for a minute?

Thanks Blues Dawg. I had tried that a number of times, and had no problems in the past doing it. My service guy sent me PDF with instruction from the Tech manual, which had me do the same thing. NO LUCK at all. He told me to come up there and he would fix it in 10 seconds...I laughed!! but I do know him. After about 15-20 minutes he tried another trick, I didn't see in the manual. Its a 4 point turn. Stop your truck, press the normal buttons until the lines go in circle on your dash then pull forward straight, back up hard left, pull forward straight, back up hard left and so on until you have complete 360 degrees. That worked!! So if any of you are having trouble using the 360 turn, or just using your zone #...try the 4 point turn.

How about better stock tires like michelin. stronger ends on the frontbumper. The first day I had it a friend almost riped one off. blindspot mirror and maybe a little taller windshield to see the red go green. Last a Diesel or hybrid or natural gas something for better fuel economy. otherwise I love the dam thing

How about better stock tires like michelin. stronger ends on the frontbumper. The first day I had it a friend almost riped one off. blindspot mirror and maybe a little taller windshield to see the red go green. Last a Diesel or hybrid or natural gas something for better fuel economy. otherwise I love the dam thing

some vehicles are not meant to be everything to everyone....and their shortcomings or attitude is what makes them different. The old Jeeps and FJs were hot in summer...cold in winter...noisy as hell....would make your kidneys bleed. the new FJ has blinds spots but learn how to setup and use your mirrors correctly and you wont have an issue.....cant see out back then follow the rule the RV drivers and big rig drivers follow....never back further than 2 feet unless there is no other way out....i drove one for years and if you always look for way you can usually find a way to keep from backing. if in doubt...use a spotter. windshield not tall enough....I am 6'2" and not had that problem yet then again I have seat setting all the way down as far as it can go in the adjustable seats. To me these things are all part of the feel and flavor of the FJ...without them it would be like any other soccer moms vehicle and the rubber floor and spartan interior, the flat windshield, the poor rear visibility are all reasons they wont buy one and I will. Just like my vtwin motorcycle....not water cooled like rice...does not have abs....is loud.....does not have stereo or air ride suspension...and breaks or fails on me when i am far from home and in middle of night...but that badge of honor is what I love about her.

Be safe and enjoy wheelin your FJ.....

some vehicles are not meant to be everything to everyone....and their shortcomings or attitude is what makes them different. The old Jeeps and FJs were hot in summer...cold in winter...noisy as hell....would make your kidneys bleed. the new FJ has blinds spots but learn how to setup and use your mirrors correctly and you wont have an issue.....cant see out back then follow the rule the RV drivers and big rig drivers follow....never back further than 2 feet unless there is no other way out....i drove one for years and if you always look for way you can usually find a way to keep from backing. if in doubt...use a spotter. windshield not tall enough....I am 6'2" and not had that problem yet then again I have seat setting all the way down as far as it can go in the adjustable seats. To me these things are all part of the feel and flavor of the FJ...without them it would be like any other soccer moms vehicle and the rubber floor and spartan interior, the flat windshield, the poor rear visibility are all reasons they wont buy one and I will. Just like my vtwin motorcycle....not water cooled like rice...does not have abs....is loud.....does not have stereo or air ride suspension...and breaks or fails on me when i am far from home and in middle of night...but that badge of honor is what I love about her.

Be safe and enjoy wheelin your FJ.....

BUMP!!:):)

just put some better lighting inside
some more hidey holes or storage places like in the giant d pillar inside?

35,000 miles on mine and no troubles other than a leaky windshield--

aha

while on that

put in a dang clear aluminum windshield from star trek so i don't get a jeelion chips and cracks in my windshield please

fj cruiser wish list

hi all; this isnt a tech sugestion but i do alot of highway driving and when i rest my arm on the top of the door panel my hand and arm go to sleep. it has too sharp an edge, should be rounded more and padded a little. and whats with all the plastic door panels and and plastic in the rear, it scratches real easily and looks like crap. and why cant you get a 6 speed manual tranny with selectable 4 wheel drive

besides the interior lighting, power and storage issues that have already been presented, I would like to see the following as options, gobi style roof rack ( the stock one sucks unless you mod it) or at least make the cross beams stronger and longer adjusting up front, paint that dose not chip so easily in cold weather and better seal on the back hatch. Every time it snows ( and it snows a lot here) I can not open the back hatch without everything inside being covered in snow the has collected in the gap at the top. Its only a small gap, but its deep and cover the width of the door. Use better plastic in the back, something that dose not scratch up so easily, offer options for a dark interior roof that dos not show up dirty hand prints and scuff marks. More tie down points in the back and on the rook rack.

Also the gaps behind the wheel arches that collect mud and stones. This will lead to rust i'm sure. Fill the space with expanding foam or something to stop the build up of dirt. every time I come back from a trail run I spend more time cleaning the dirt out of these holes than the rest of the truck.

finally just a small fight of fancy, but a replacement panel for the back door that could store water. on long trips I have to pack water and it takes up space. A removable container that attached in that spot would be a god send. allowing easy access to water when ever its needed, rather than climbing on the roof and trying to lash a Jerry can down. its wasted space as the moment.

there are dummy plugs next to the rr, etc switch on the bottom corners i would like to see this as prewire harness for a light bar off the roof rack or a plug in for lights off a bumper or the like. there are two pre wires in that area already that are in my fj that aren't used (by me anyway), the woofer and whatever the deal is for the 2wd.:crybaby:

Grab handles!!!!!
Need handles for people.
How can you have an offroad vehicles without handles?

If Toyota left them off becayse they don't fit, they NEED to make them fit.
This is a major oversight IMHO.

Cheers,
Nick

Mine came with two for the driver and two for the passenger where else would you put them???

As far as handles go I'm not so fond of the overhead drivers handle. Being over 6' is a rather specific problem while wheelin'. I can't count the number of times that I've hit my head on the overhead grab. In the same breath it does come in handy when I need to get to the roof rack...I guess I can't win for loosin'.

Tech Thoughts

While I've seen alot of complaints that I have myself ; interior lighting, rear windows, blind spot when approaching any road @ a 45% angle, power outlets, red light view, etc. etc. I have one about the annoying beeping. Everything seems to beep for some reason or another except when I forget that I left my lights on and turn the vehicle off. I don't know whether to complain or enjoy. I just hope it doesn't cost me on having to find a set of cables from someone someday. And something does need to be done for small children getting in and out of the rear. My daughter is 6yrs old 48" tall and she complained to me today that her bum and arm pits are getting sore from me helping her up. I'll probably get a strap and run it through the headrest so she can grab on to pull her self up. We love the FJ, just looking at the 6+G's that it will take to get the TT edition up to snuff on surviving a trail.

We love the FJ, just looking at the 6+G's that it will take to get the TT edition up to snuff on surviving a trail.

You can do a lot for less than 6K - the TT Edition should have your rock rails, so get some skid plates ($7-800), an OME lift ($700) and some decent tires ($800-1000) and your good to go for under 3K. Add a front bumper and winch and your good to help others on the trail for under 4K. Pricing is collected costs on my rig.

You got schedule lined out. Just forgot that supercharger. I drill for oil so give me the gas guzzlers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom