Slee's 6" lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ809496TLC

80 series addict
Threads
Got my lift kit from Christo last week and getting ready to install it soon. I appreciate any inputs from guys/gals who have done these before. Done a couple of Js setup and now it's time to do the mother of all lifts. :D TIA.

Umm, take out the old springs and shocks and put the new ones in? :flipoff2:

Seriously, it's just nuts and bolts and you are replacing the front arms anyway.

I'd do the brakelines first, so you have all the flex you need to get those new springs in, that would be the only thing.

Depending on what other work you are doing at the same time it may be easier to pop out the axle. When I did mine the front axle was pretty much completely gone over (wheel bearings, new TRE's, rotors, pads, calipers rebuilt, seals, felts etc.) and it was much easier to do on the bench than under the truck. A FSM, air tools and a decent torque wrench are your best friends.

HPIM2960.JPG

HPIM3055.JPG

HPIM3066.JPG

Umm, take out the old springs and shocks and put the new ones in? :flipoff2:

Seriously, it's just nuts and bolts and you are replacing the front arms anyway.

I'd do the brakelines first, so you have all the flex you need to get those new springs in, that would be the only thing.

Sounds easy enough. :D I had the lines replaced when I did the previous lift so that's out of the way.

Depending on what other work you are doing at the same time it may be easier to pop out the axle. When I did mine the front axle was pretty much completely gone over (wheel bearings, new TRE's, rotors, pads, calipers rebuilt, seals, felts etc.) and it was much easier to do on the bench than under the truck. A FSM, air tools and a decent torque wrench are your best friends.

HPIM2960.JPG

HPIM3055.JPG

HPIM3066.JPG

Alright, let's not get carried away here.:D I had the axle service and brakes done recently so I don't have to deal with it right now. Air tools will definitely be a big help on this kind of project. I can't wait to get a hold of that check from Uncle Sam. Thanks for the pictures.

Good luck on the install, if i was in H town id lend a hand. What you going to do with your j's?

Good luck on the install, if i was in H town id lend a hand. What you going to do with your j's?

Thanks for the offer and let me know if you're in town, I might still be working on it. :D Got a couple of guys here locally who offered their help which I appreciate. The one I'll be working on had the 2.5s that I sold recently. I might have a J setup for sale later on.

I never quite get over how beefy those front control arms are.

Damn those things just beg to be beat on.

Take your time doing the install. It helps to have an extra set of hand or two sets of helping hands.

i would def. recommend an extra set of hands. popping out the control arms might helo to get an extra bit of distance for swapping out those big beefy springs. has your truck always been in TX? the standard PB blaster treatment applies to all nuts and bolts for a few days before hand. other than that, you may notice the sway bar bumps the driveshaft when you have it up on the stands and jacks and so on but when you get it down and done, it will settle in nicely and clear just fine.

did you get the adjustable panhards and such as well?

I never quite get over how beefy those front control arms are.

Damn those things just beg to be beat on.

Beefy and heavy. I watched the UPS guy struggled when he carried the front control arm box towards the door.

Take your time doing the install. It helps to have an extra set of hand or two sets of helping hands.

Definitely.

i would def. recommend an extra set of hands. popping out the control arms might helo to get an extra bit of distance for swapping out those big beefy springs. has your truck always been in TX? the standard PB blaster treatment applies to all nuts and bolts for a few days before hand. other than that, you may notice the sway bar bumps the driveshaft when you have it up on the stands and jacks and so on but when you get it down and done, it will settle in nicely and clear just fine.

did you get the adjustable panhards and such as well?

This 80 actually came fron New York but spend most of it's life here in TX.. The PO took good care of it and only saw few surface rust. Sprayed all nuts and bolts with penetrant similar to PBs. I got the rear adjustable panhard just waiting for the front to come in.

when are you doing the install? I might be able to lend a hand.

when are you doing the install? I might be able to lend a hand.

I'll let you know Jason. Got too many non Cruiser related project that I'm working on right now. Thanks for the offer. :)

Once you get the arms on be sure to torque to spec. HOW MUCH GUYS? 150? We heard some minor knock noises at first. Did research and re-tweaking the arm nuts stopped that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom