Brake drum retaining screws (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From reading threads in the 40's section, I see most everyone throws their retaining screws out since they are from the assembly. My PO has rounded out the phillip heads on most of mine. I've Kroiled and PB'd it and don't see them coming off. Should I just go ahead and plan on drilling mine?

One other question--when it comes to BFH time--do you folks wail on that baby? I know no love taps but I just keep thinking this stuff is cast and will snap.

Thanks for the advice, Dave

From reading threads in the 40's section, I see most everyone throws their retaining screws out since they are from the assembly. My PO has rounded out the phillip heads on most of mine. I've Kroiled and PB'd it and don't see them coming off. Should I just go ahead and plan on drilling mine?

One other question--when it comes to BFH time--do you folks wail on that baby? I know no love taps but I just keep thinking this stuff is cast and will snap.

Thanks for the advice, Dave

Beyond an impact or vise-grips?

Eric, I don't have a compressor and since its not running....have you tossed yours when you were working on your wheels or did you keep them in??

Eric, I don't have a compressor and since its not running....have you tossed yours when you were working on your wheels or did you keep them in??

Dave I tossed them. At one time I bought some extras from Toyota but never used them. The ones on the FJ55 were missing to begin with. The 40 I think had only 1 or perhaps 2.

If the drum is stuck on and the screws are out, have at it!! I had one drum on my BJ60 that was so stuck I had to pull the axle with the drum and use a press to get it off!! If the drum is loose but doesn't come off then the adjusters are likely too tight and the shoes are catching.

You'll want to ensure that the shoes are adjusted loose before pulling as sometimes the there is a ridge on the inside of the drum that catches the shoes.

If your not going to use them anymore....you could just grind the head of the screw off.

I've only tried to hit the axle itself with a hammer, not the drum

Thanks all--if the phillips head is stripped should I grind the head off, drill and then use an easy out to get the rest of the threaded portion out?

Thanks all--if the phillips head is stripped should I grind the head off, drill and then use an easy out to get the rest of the threaded portion out?

either grind it, or drill it out. i've left most of mine off. never had issues. i loosen the shoes, then don't hit, but more "drop" a 3lb sledge on the drum, rotate the wheel 180 and do it again.

I have had some luck with the vise grips except for one--if I get that and the passenger side wheel I will shout from the mountain top to all cruiser owners "Throw Them Away!!"

I'm at the front now and I guess I have to take the small bolts from the Warn manual Lock/Unlock assembly (and then maybe a large nut inside?) to remove the hub?? Never removed one of these so I guess its one assembly piece.

Howdy! Just grind it off and your done. Just put the drum in the same position when you put it all back together. You may be able to get ahold of it after the drum is off, or just grind it the rest of the way. Grinders are your Friend!! John

Try a little heat with a propane torch or a acctalene torch that should forgo all the hammering.

Thanks all--got mine out with Kroil and PB and luck...I can see some $$ being spent on brake cylinders to be safe. Only one to grind...was my first one that I buggered...wouldn't have happened if I had a little more patience. I've learned one thing from everyone who owns a pig......Live and Learn...Crash and Burn--dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom