Proffitts cruisers anti wrap bar problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, just got proffitts cruisers anti wrap bar, great customer service and the parts are beef. But i just realize that i may run into a problem during the install.

My truck is a 79 fj40 which has the gas tank toward the rear of the truck close to the crossmember where the anti wrap bar mounts. I think the shackle will have a hard time mounting. What can i do? BTW, for those of you who don't know what the undercarriage of a 79 looks, it may be difficult to understand what i'm saying.

What does Jeremiah say to do? Have you asked him?

You can either mount it behind the gas tank, which will result in an uber short bar which make your truck hop like crazy when you git it. Or you can relocate the tank and make the wrap bar work better.

this is from the website. Are they selling them now or did you get this from another party? Just curious.

From the FAQ page

6) How about traction bars, do you sell these?
We do not build track bars unless we have the Cruiser here as they tend to be vehicle specific

this is from the website. Are they selling them now or did you get this from another party? Just curious.

From the FAQ page

6) How about traction bars, do you sell these?
We do not build track bars unless we have the Cruiser here as they tend to be vehicle specific
Misc Fabrication

When you order Jeremiah makes it clear these sold as a kit and custom fitting is required. He was very helpful.
IMHO the product is a great shortcut for those of us who don't have a lot of fabrication equipment.

badass:
Can you post a picture? It might help get you some ideas. I was thinking you could add a cross member to use as an attach point.

I think the other design will work better or you.

You have a PM.

DAMMMMMIITTT:mad::mad::mad: I wish i had seen this before i fxxxing bought this.
Rascal's Trip to JK Customs - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

YOu can see how with the proffitts cruiser traction bar it won't work. or will it? I bought the kit because the guy at proffitts said no fabbing just welding and grinding.

If you can weld and grind why not just buy the parts from BTF or some other vendor and make yourself one you know will fit properly? Is there a swivel joint in the shackle of the Proffitts one? Can't tell from that pic but I only see busings elsewhere. If not, that design is going to bind badly anyway. The top tube should go all the way to the front joint also. Another weak point.

If you can weld and grind why not just buy the parts from BTF or some other vendor and make yourself one you know will fit properly? Is there a swivel joint in the shackle of the Proffitts one? Can't tell from that pic but I only see busings elsewhere. If not, that design is going to bind badly anyway. The top tube should go all the way to the front joint also. Another weak point.
It may not work for badass' application but the design works fine on my rig. No binding.

The unit comes as a kit that is fit to the application, so it's the same as buying parts, just bundled together. I found it to be a good value based on buying parts individually. Again it may not work in badass' case but for cruisers with an under seat tank it works fine.

Sean,
If you find out that what you have won't work with you '79, I am interested in it and we prolly can do some horse trading.....Let me know.

I have been running into same problem with my 79. You will have to mount the trac bar on the crossmember in front of the tank. I would say sell the proffits bar and just take measurements and find a local weld/machine shop if your worried about the fab work. Or do like some and make a bar out of an fj80 control arm.

I have been running into same problem with my 79. You will have to mount the trac bar on the crossmember in front of the tank. I would say sell the proffits bar and just take measurements and find a local weld/machine shop if your worried about the fab work. Or do like some and make a bar out of an fj80 control arm.

I've got a buddy who will install it for free, a shop wants 4-500 dollars. How canyou make one out of a fj80 arm?

Sean,
If you find out that what you have won't work with you '79, I am interested in it and we prolly can do some horse trading.....Let me know.

i'll sell it you for the same price i bought it for. or cheaper if you give the axles i'll subtract 75.

FYI..that pic is the trac bar they installed on my '68 fj40.. Good luck..Jeremiah or John should be able to help you out if all else fails!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom