Clear Creek in Central California is Officially Closed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It will take 18 to 24 months to do the testing. They want to cover all the weather seasons to get accurate results.

I don't imagine the 220 vehicles that participated in Molina Ghost Run at Clear Creek had anything to do with excessive dust. If a few people had respiratory problems after the event went to the doctor and told them where they had been the Doctor probably alerted EPA. Blowing MUD out of your nose from wheeling on dusty trails is one thing but when it turns into an upper respiratory infection that is caused by asbestos it is getting pretty bad .

WTF? are you serious?

DUDE!! That sucks!

I've gone riding there with multiple bikes, and being in the back of the pack (more dust) on a dry day..

I've never felt like I had a problem breathing afterwards.. ????

Guess after this "review" I'll see if I'm going to die early... :)

Yes I am serious

Here is the info on the Blue Ribbon Coalition.RECREATION WRONGLY TARGETED IN CLEAR CREEK CLOSURE - Media Releases

BOISE, ID (May 1)—Recreation groups expressed dismay at the surprise announcement that federal agencies are closing approximately 31,000 acres of public land in Central California. The Clear Creek Management Area ("CCMA"), located in San Benito County and managed by the Bureau of Land Management ("BLM"), is one of the most popular off-highway vehicle recreation sites in the West.

BLM yesterday announced it would immediately close roughly half of the CCMA as a result of a new EPA report alleging an increased long-term cancer risk associated with recreational activities in the CCMA. The CCMA contains a form of naturally occurring asbestos known as Coalinga chrysotile. Despite years of study and intensive use of the area, EPA's latest report apparently makes new findings determining the risk levels to be above the range that EPA considers acceptable.

"We dispute not only these findings, but the manner in which they have been presented and imposed upon the public," said Don Amador, Western Representative for the BlueRibbon Coalition, a recreation advocacy group. "This topic has been debated at length, and highly-motivated special interests have ruthlessly scoured any population spending even a trivial amount of time at the CCMA. The simple fact is that asbestos-related disease does not show up in any of these populations. Period. We are reviewing the EPA report to see what compels this new finding and immediate closure, but anticipate taking quick and decisive action," Amador concluded.

Welcome to California, if the wacko's have thier way, all of the offroad ares will be closed.

They are trying to close the Pismo Dunes also ... :mad:

This State is going or gone to HE$$.

Who's State is next :confused:

UNITE BROTHERS OF THE OUTDOORS ...

Screw this, I'm moving to Alaska.:mad:

Sigh.

38419660.jpg

Clear Creek off-roader paradise lost due to asbestos - Los Angeles Times

ccmaclosuremap2.jpg

HollisterFreelance.com | BLM closing Clear Creek to get rid of asbestos

20080501_clearcreek.jpg

Asbestos Risk Closes Central California's Clear Creek Area

More info:

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) began conducting a study in 2004 on asbestos exposures experienced by CCMA users during typical recreational activities. The study was conducted to provide BLM with information to manage and minimize human health risks at the CCMA and to update a similar study conducted by the BLM in 1992.

On May 1, 2008 the EPA released the report, “CCMA Asbestos Exposure and Human Health Risk Assessment.” The report stated the exposures measured by EPA for many recreational activities at CCMA are “above the EPA acceptable risk range of lifetime cancers.” It also notes that children “have greater risk than adults due to higher exposure measurements [and] are of special concern because their exposures occur earlier in their lives.

Based on the findings in the report, BLM simultaneously enacted an immediate temporary closure on May 1, 2008 of 31,000 acres of the area to all public access/entry upon release of the EPA report while a Resource Management Plan (RMP) to determine the long-term management of the area is underway. The BLM’s number one priority is to protect the public’s health and safety.

Over the next two years, BLM will be preparing a Resource Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement to guide the long-term management of public lands within the CCMA. EPA and BLM will host a public meeting to discuss the results of the EPA Human Health Risk Assessment and BLM will discuss the need for the temporary emergency closure on May 8, 2008.

The Fee Program has been suspended and partial refunds will be issued to all persons who purchased a Season Pass.

Public Meetings

May 8, Santa Clara Convention Center, 5001 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, EPA and BLM, open house from 3:00 – 5:00 pm, meeting from 6:00 – 9:00 pm

May 19, Veteran’s Memorial Hall, 649 San Benito St., Hollister, 6:00 – 8:00 pm

May 21, Martin Luther King Jr. Library Room 225, 150 E. San Fernando St., San Jose, 6:00 – 8:00 pm

For More Information

Contact the Hollister Field Office at (831) 630-5000 or visit our website at BLM Clear Creek Management Area (CCMA), Hollister Field Office, Bureau of Land Management California

This suck, I use to go up there with a few friends after it rained and spend a few nights out there. Had alot of fun. Talk about closing it has been going on for years due to the asbestos. Is the correctional camp in New Idrea closed as well along with the Rangers house? Nothing lasts forever.

So are these two heath consciences off roader taking care of the health by wearing HazMat suits and full face masks while wheeling at Clear Creek or are they part of the EPA research group?

Dan,

They are part of the EPA group doing testing but that does not make me feel any better. When I am 110 an dying of some crazy thing, I am gonna blame it on clear creek.

Its happening everywhere unfortunately.

But yes I would agree that CA is a little more nutz than the rest of the country.

That would be the best sampling trip ever. I want a job with that consultant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom