Steering Problem - Broken Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, so steering got a bit sloppy on the way home tonight from work. Not bad just a little sloppy. When I got out a checked it out this is what I found (see the photos below). My question is, can I still drive this safely until Saturday when I might be able to get any needed replacement parts? How does something like this happen? Any help is appreciated as always.
P5010310.jpg
P5010312.jpg

I am not going to tell you that you can operate your truck or that your steering looks ‘safe enough’ to last until you fix it. :rolleyes:

How much play/slop is in that steering rod end?

If it moves vertically at all, or has any slop/is loose, I would not run it.

I would look EVERYTHING else in the steering system over really well and make sure nothing else is giving up.

One piece can create a lot of trouble.

Looks like the tire has been wearing into that joint for a while now.

I would inspect the tire as well.

You would have to ask yourself if you regret driving it after you end up in the ditch after it fails completely......Just wait, it's a day and a half away, it doesn't look good from my recliner

....OK, so steering got a bit sloppy on the way home tonight from work. Not bad just a little sloppy.......

Any "sloppiness" and any "sudden change in feel" relating to your steering should be taken extremely seriously.

Your photos (if I read them correctly) show simply a torn balljoint boot which doesn't by itself prove immediate danger. In fact, if that joint is still OK it MAY be possible to keep it that way simply by cleaning it out (by purging lots of fresh grease through it) and replacing the boot.

But the "sloppiness" and "change in feel" that you have noticed are indeed SERIOUS symptoms. And anyone concerned for the safety of themselves (and/or other road users) would NOT drive it AT ALL till the cause is properly identified and repaired.

Brakes and Steering are both "sacred". In the bus depot where I work, if any driver mentions any fault at all in connection with either of these things the bus is taken off the road immediately. And that's the way it should be!

If you have a wheel rubbing on that balljoint (under full-lock steering and unusual wheel articulation probably) then that must be corrected.

:cheers:

(Just my 3C worth)

Ask this question: Am I willing to die, and perhaps injure or kill someone else, to get to work? Just my age I guess, but I wouldn't drive it until that is fixed.

I would fix that before you drive again. I assume that's the end on the relay rod.

The steering rod end seems to be solid, no play that I can tell. I will leave it in the garage until tomorrow when I have a chance to look over the enter system. Thanks.

I am not going to tell you that you can operate your truck or that your steering looks ‘safe enough’ to last until you fix it. :rolleyes:

How much play/slop is in that steering rod end?

If it moves vertically at all, or has any slop/is loose, I would not run it.

I would look EVERYTHING else in the steering system over really well and make sure nothing else is giving up.

One piece can create a lot of trouble.

Looks like the tire has been wearing into that joint for a while now.

I would inspect the tire as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom