A Simple Hoist & Storage System for hard top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

Well I finally rigged up a hoist / storage system for my hardtop... Was wanting to do this for about a month now as it is the first step in my resto project so I can still use the gargage as space is tight...

I found a lot of hoists and systems commercially however, they were in hundreds of dollars and most made to fit jeeps (which would work).

I found the hoist system to work better than expected... I wanted to be able to remove and re-install my hardtop myself so that is the reason for the block and tackle, it has a 7 to 1 leverage factor and with 3 of them used only about 25lbs of force is required to lift each pulley, so you can easily do it yourself... I just simply kept rotating from pulley to pulley raising about 6" per cycle and the hardtop kept very well balanced... The ropes attach to the wall using a rope cleat and it is very secure... I added a secondary restriant to the rear (as that is the heaviest), here I used a rachet tie down that i had kicking around (is the same connection used for the front sling)... It goes from the carabiners through the glass openings, tieing both the rear pulley systems together and will act as a secondary restraint should one of the rear hooks slip off, which honestly is not very likely... with the secondary restraint I rocked the hardtop back and forth and there was no movement on the hooks...

Anyway, the following are some pictures of what I rigged up and here is a list of the components if you are intrested in putting the system together... Let me know if you want any more information...

1. Eye Screws 2 1/4" x 3/8" (Qty - 3) - From home depot - $1.50ea
2. Rope Hoist (Qty - 3) - from Canadian tire - $15.00 ea - includes 2 triple pulleys and 65ft of rope giving 7 to 1 leverage
3. Speed clips or caribiners (Qty - 6) - one on either end of the rope pulley to connect to eye screw and other end to hooks - from home depot - $0.50ea
4. Hooks with 3/8" eyelet (Qty - 2) - Used on both rear pulleys and connect to rear glass edge - from home depot - $2.00ea.
5. Rope cleats (Qty - 3) - Used to anchor rope to wall - from home depot - $1.50ea.
6. Rachet or cambuckle (Qty - 1) - used to sling up the front, I used a rachet tie down but cambuckle ties or even will tied webbing / rope would work well - from Home depot - $8.00

Total cost - approximately - $65
to lower the cost you could probably get away with just a front and rear pulley set using a sling on the rear as with 3 it wasn't hard to lift, however, the rear will take more brut force to raise on only 1 pulley, probably in the 50 to 60 lbs force, and I was concerned about twisting with only using pullieys...

View attachment 226225

View attachment 226227

View attachment 226226

Last edited:
Sweeeet I need to make one for myself. I am also in the same boat. I would like to take my top off by myself and not let come crashing down on me. I'm going to follow your plans. Thanks for the info. Now lets see the resto photos!

I got a 220# electric hoist with a double pull set up from Harbour freight for $70. That and some seatbelt nylon rigged into a sling make removing my hardtop a 10 minute affair.
HPIM1857.JPG

hoist

farnman 33 can you give us some closer pictures of the
rigging. you pic. is perty far away and cannot tell what the double pull system looks like and how you have it rigged.
thanks

Last edited:
I found the easiest to use 4 ratchet straps and 4 O ring screws into the ceiling rafters. Get 4 more smaller O bolts for the top. USe the L brackets on the front of the top and attach the hard top to the front straps by uig the two O bolts. Use a piece of 2X4 and slide it under the top in the rear. Drill a hole in each side of the 2X4 wider than the top and attach 2 more O bolts. Attach the ratchet straps here and ratchet up evenly. I can remove my top in about 20 minutes and can get it high enough to prk my rig under it, engine first.

Cleanpool,

here is a pic of the double pull system. Next week when I take the top off I will give you a better pic of the sling.

JD,

Thanks, It is getting a little crowded - I have to drive 4 things out every time I need to work on one. My real problem is not enough driveway.
HPIM0149.jpg

I got a 220# electric hoist with a double pull set up from Harbour freight for $70. That and some seatbelt nylon rigged into a sling make removing my hardtop a 10 minute affair.

I like the way you painted your bezel... on the floor...

Cleanpool - here are the pics of my sling. Like I said it is just seatbelt nylon with loops sewn in each end to go throught he d ring.
HPIM0160.jpg
HPIM0162.jpg
HPIM0161.jpg

Nice setup, farman. I was wondering, tho, how the rain gutters hold up to the seatbelt straps? It seems like they'd be bearing a lot of the weight.

Thanks.

thanks farman33
for the pictures of your hoist hook up.
I love it. Simple design and it works;
I love when simplicity works best. One pull point 2 straps. and
A button to push...... Great.....
X2!!!! Just what I've been looking for. Something thats simple mainly and that is it right there. I know what my next project will be. I'll try to find a link for the hoist.

Nice setup, farman. I was wondering, tho, how the rain gutters hold up to the seatbelt straps? It seems like they'd be bearing a lot of the weight.

Thanks.

That was a concern of mine as well. After a whole summer in storage it came out just fine. I was prepared to have to offset the load with some shims but turned out to be unnecessary.

I like the way you painted your bezel... on the floor...

I thought I was the only one that did that.:hillbilly:

When I was younger, my dad bitched at me so much about getting crap on the garage floor that I vowed I would mess up my shop floor however much I wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom