Real Time Help - Water in S/C? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 w/149,000 and a TRD supercharger. I washed my air cleaner this afternoon and let it air dry. It did not seam 100% dry, so I blew it out for a few minutes with my air compressor. I put it in just to pull directly into the garage. Started up fine and put it in drive and it barely moved! I shut it off and noticed a small amount of water on the driveway from the tailpipe. Pulled the air cleaner and started it again. I let it run for a few minutes and but is still very sluggish. I am feeling extremely stupid for putting the air cleaner in without knowing that it was 100% dry.

Did I just screw up my supercharger??? CDan told me awhile back that the truck will run without the supercharger but it is extremely sluggish. Help!

One other observation I forgot to mention...while the truck in Park, the speedo needle slowly moved up to plus 100mph and the odometer started to move quickly. This happened when the truck was both running and not running but with the key in the run position.
I doubt more than 6 - 10 ounces of water from the air filter was put through the engine.

Double check the air tube connections between your throttle body and the air flow meter. Any looseness will draw in air and cause problems because it's unmetered.

Do you get a check engine light on (MIL)?

Did you wash anything else while you were there, distributor, any more details?

I wouldnt worry about the water just because you saw it coming out of the tail pipe. That can be caused by condensation of warming cooling pipes and other things that are normal. If your engine sucked in any water it probably wasnt enough to hurt it, and if it got in there it would evaporate before making it out the end of the tail pipe.

yaa if there is any water in the system it should blow itself out i.e. be turned to gaseous state due to combustion in the cyclinders. I would think letting it run for a while should self fix the problem. you also could disconnect the battery just to allow the computer to reset.

My truck is real sluggish when I pull the battery cable. Until the ECU finally resets it runs very low RPMs. Did you unhook your battery?

I don't know what kind of air filter you have but most discourage blowing compressed air as it tends to separate the fibers.

Sounds like air getting past the ecu. Check all your hoses from the air filter to the throttle body. Does your s/c sound louder than usual? Maybe your maf got disconnected?

Karl

Last edited:
I will do all of these suggestions when I get home tonight...thanks. Here is what I did in order:
1. Drove 400 miles from Moab yesterday.
2. I used the air compressor and quickly blew off the engine area (lots of red dust/sand).
3. Pulled the air filter and washed per the Toyota instructions on the air cleaner.
4. Checked all the fluids
5. Washed the truck.
6. Vacuumed the truck.

One other observation...when I was vacuuming out all the sand, I noticed a 2" diameter wet area next to the drivers foot rest on the floor. I thought maybe the sand plugged my "slits" and/or my sun roof drains and water got into the wiring under the drivers side. I checked at midnight last night and all was dry. I did the ziptie trick in the slits and all was dry. No check engine or codes on the Scanguage.

My guess is that I loosened something when I pulled up the air cleaner lid to remove the filter. Weird about the speedo and odometer moving with the key in Run position? Has anyone seen this before?
I'll check everything tonight and post back. Thanks for the responses. Doug

Still Sluggish!!

I did everything everyone suggested. It starts fine, runs smooth, and the S/C is not making usual noises. When I put it in drive, she barely moves with my foot into the gas. Reverse seems to work fine. It feels like driving a car with the emergency brake on or low tranny fluid.

Again, the speedo goes up to 100mph and the odometer starts to move with the truck in PARK. This happens with the key in run position without the truck running too. The tranny fluid is full, clean and no burnt smell. It was running perfect before I parked it after driving for 400 miles.

Any ideas...maybe a sensor? I am vehicleless and towing to the stealership is a last resort! Help!

I did everything everyone suggested. It starts fine, runs smooth, and the S/C is not making usual noises. When I put it in drive, she barely moves with my foot into the gas. Reverse seems to work fine. It feels like driving a car with the emergency brake on or low tranny fluid.

Again, the speedo goes up to 100mph and the odometer starts to move with the truck in PARK. This happens with the key in run position without the truck running too. The tranny fluid is full, clean and no burnt smell. It was running perfect before I parked it after driving for 400 miles.

Any ideas...maybe a sensor? I am vehicleless and towing to the stealership is a last resort! Help!

Did you reconnect your air flow sensor on the tube from your air filter?
What does the exhaust smell like? Coolant? Head gasket after long trip?
All of your plug wire tightly connected at dizzy?

Check all the simple stuff first.

Good luck
AKCRUZERS

When I put it in drive, she barely moves with my foot into the gas. Reverse seems to work fine. It feels like driving a car with the emergency brake on or low tranny fluid.

When you say you put it in reverse it works fine do you mean
A). It goes into reverse fine to show transmission is shifting?
OR
B). It goes into reverse and drives normal?

Again, the speedo goes up to 100mph and the odometer starts to move with the truck in PARK. This happens with the key in run position without the truck running too.

Problem with the Truspeed calibrator maybe? Only mod I can think of that could affect the speedo and odo with the truck OFF. The way it's wired in you can remove and jumper bypass it, identical to the install instructions on Slee's site.

The MAF is plugged in and all air cleaner hoses are tight and in place. No indication of head gasket issues. I don't think it is an engine problem. She runs and smells fine. I'm convinced that my dumb air filter screwup has nothing to do with the transmission issue.

I shifted the truck into Reverse and I drove backwards about 5' and there was no sluggish behavior. I shifted into drive and drove forward 5' and it was dog. I manually shifted into second and first with the same result. Some kind of gear selection sensor? Crap....

Cory, good idea. I will check this out.

I wish I had a direct answer.

If you have just come back from wheeling and then washed your truck. At which point you noticed a wet spot on the drivers side floorboard. My guess is your sealant around your windshield may have been tweeked from the flexing of the truck body while wheeling thus allowing water in when you washed her. If this is the case, the water will run down behind the dash. It can be hard to spot. Try pulling the kick panel and check all the wiring to see if it is indeed wet. Let us know.

Buck Buchanan

I just jacked up the front end to check for possible front brake binding and the wheels spin with the truck off and in park. Looks like I have a t-case or front diff problem. I got Precision 4:88 gears installed about 6 weeks ago. The wheels spin but the front drive shaft does not. I have a call into the installer (who is an excellent mechanic and good guy).

This is crazy. The truck was working great and had good power when I pulled into the driveway.

Blown birf? The front wheels should turn the DS, which shouldn't be able to turn because of the t-case and rear wheels on the ground. You can try pulling the front DS and seeing if you can drive (lock the center diff).

Maybe your ecu got wet?

No one has mentioned about the wiring harness near the EGR downpipe yet. Have you checked that? Sometimes, due to the torque of the engine, it will be fine in reverse as the harness lifts off the pipe, then in forward, it contacts the pipe (ground) and causes this kind of behavior. Check carefully, it's a tricky bugger, hiding underneath where it's hard to see.

Speedo and odo? You got gremlins, no doubt. But seriously I don't know anything about the speedo corrector but that'd be where I'd start.

Best, dan.

It's a miracle! I got home from work and no more gremlins in the speedo. I drove it around the block with zero issues. I still want to find the culprit. My guess it is from the moisture that got into the truck from the sun roof. I'm checking those drain tubes tonight. I'm also going to check the wiring harness for possible ground.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom