Prodigy users: how did you get the wiring into the ashtray? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did not want to drill the back of the ashtray housing blind to get the wiring through- I could not remove the trim piece that surrounds the ashtray slot and holds the cig lighter- the top clips came undone but not the bottom and I didn't want to break it.

Also, will the ashtray slide back in after you disconnect the prodigy? Does the clip on the wiring to the prodigy interfere with the ashtray fitting back in there?

I am considering carefully dremeling a hole at the back/top of the ashtray housing, big enough to fit that wire clip through, with it still in place in the dash.

the top clips came undone but not the bottom and I didn't want to break it.

you have to remove, well at least pull up the trim around the shifter/cupholder to be able to remove that piece. Take the "butterfly" out of the cupholder and leave the door open. Gently pull up from either inside the walls of the cupholder or on the lip of the trim around the transfer case boot. its all presssure clips, so just pull straight up on that whole panel. Once you get that up and out of the way you can pull out that trim panel. If you want you can disconnect all the switches(heated seats/ECT/PWR/ect) and fully remove that center trim but its not needed.

I just orderred the Tekonsha P3 last week and will be doing an install when I get it. Keep us posted on your install, as I've been reading up on other peoples installs for ideas!

Thanks a lot! Good thing I didn't just yank it out like I was planning to, it likely costs a small fortune for that piece.

[N00b] What is prodigy? [/N00b]

I did not want to drill the back of the ashtray housing blind to get the wiring through- I could not remove the trim piece that surrounds the ashtray slot and holds the cig lighter- the top clips came undone but not the bottom and I didn't want to break it.

Also, will the ashtray slide back in after you disconnect the prodigy? Does the clip on the wiring to the prodigy interfere with the ashtray fitting back in there?

I am considering carefully dremeling a hole at the back/top of the ashtray housing, big enough to fit that wire clip through, with it still in place in the dash.

You don't have to remove anything other than the ash tray...wires can be sent through the lett side of the ash tray...just put a bright light or a torch under the pedles and you could see the light from the ash tray hole...you might have to wiggle the wires little bit but u could do it. I just ran a antenna wire too through the same place to my cb radio.

There's hole above the pedles where u can run the wires through the firewall..

fatrabbit-progdgy is a brake controller for tailers/campers with electric brakes

I'm going to put a RAM style mount attached to the front of my ashtray and then put an Icom dual band HAM radio there :)

Getting a single wire or two through the ashtray is not the problem- the prodigy wiring has a plastic 4-pronged plug on the end of it, and I do not want the prodigy installed full time (I want to be able to unplug it and put the ashtray back in when I am not towing, which is most of the time).

SO, I need to mount the wiring in the ashtray space, such that the ashtray itself can slide back in with the prodigy wiring clip in place. I don't mind reaching in and pulling the wire out a few inches each time to use it, but this will require the plastic clip being run through a hole in the top of the ashtray space, if that makes sense.

OK, I can pull up that center console piece easy enough, but it seems it is still attached under the black piece I cannot remove (at the front). Here is a pic to show what I mean.

There are tabs on the black piece where the arrows are shown, and pulling up the center console piece it is also hung up here...

lxdash.jpg

I slid the entire ash tray out, and then mounted the bracket to the top of the ash tray bracket. That way if I ever remove it, the ash tray will slide right back in.
I used a piece of closed cell foam as an insulator on top to take up the space.

controler.JPG
controler.JPG
controller2.JPG

Last edited:
brake controller.

I need to install one this weekend. Yikes.

It really is very easy to install, at least on an 03... running the wire is not even difficult, if I could just get this ashtray surround piece out so I can dremel a hole and do a clean install!

See this thread, my posts are down at the bottom... the 03 LX has a pre-wired plug for a brake controller, located under the dash. The Tundra harness makes the prodigy plug n play, with the exception of the ground wire which is simple enough.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...ler-brake-controller-late-100-series-tlc.html

Here is my thread on my complete tow package/setup:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...age-can-someone-double-check-my-research.html

I am using a 20' steel trailer to tow my s2000 or mr2 to the track. The trailer weighs ~ 2200 lbs (haven't actually weighed it yet), so with the s2000 we are looking at over 5000 lbs, which is why I went with the weight distribution hitch and anti-sway device. With the aftermarket hitch, we can tow up to 6500 lbs. I put my package together such that I could tow my GS400 across town if I absolutely needed to.

I have only towed the trailer home empty thus far, still need to get the weight dist/anti-sway installed, so I can test it with a car. The prodigy controller will lock up the wheels on the empty trailer using about 15% of it's power! I also got 14.4mpg on the way home and it was all 2-lane highway with many small towns :clap:

so nobody knows the proper way to take the interior apart in the 03?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom