airbags and bushguards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks for all your good quetions and answers were learning alot.

I want to put a bush guard on my fj that can support a winch

without ditching the front bumper. my fj is a family car so I want

my airbags to work. The way we drive in Ca. we need airbags.

Will airbags work, it seems like the heavy duty bush guards

would not let the airbags engage. Any Ideas on the right

bushguard. I love my fj as I know you do to.

The ARB replacement bumper is rated Airbag compliant by Toyota otherwise the trailteams wouldn't be able to have them on their FJ's I went with the Warn it doesn't effect the airbag sensors IMO, and I could get the winch I want to fit.

I'll go online and check that one out If it's the one I'm thinking it is, It's a sweet set-up you have.

But I don't want to ditch the factory bumper unless I don't have a choice. Thanks for the Info thats

good to Know.

The air bag sensors work on inertia, therefore are generally unaffected by such modifications.

if you want to keep the stock bumper, i have seen just the winch cradle which mounts behind the stock plastic bumper w/ a little trimming.

maybe a FJC member can post a link.

you are good to go w/ the airbags

if you want to keep the stock bumper, i have seen just the winch cradle which mounts behind the stock plastic bumper w/ a little trimming.

maybe a FJC member can post a link.

you are good to go w/ the airbags

Lucrum Industries makes one, in Silver or Black.

I installed the Lucrum winch mount in black powdered version, with no welded D-rings to accommodate the brush/push guard that I already have on my FJ.

Here are some pictures.

7DSC00007_WARN.jpg

9DSC00009_WARN.jpg

21DSC00021_WARN.jpg

22DSC00022_WARN.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00006-Fixedupbumber.jpg

Last edited:
I've always liked that Lucrum mount! It's nice. The brush guard though.... lets just say I'm not a fan of them after kissing a couple of trees and breaking the front directional lights. It's getting hacked up for some tubing I need for my 62.

The ARB replacement bumper is rated Airbag compliant by Toyota otherwise the trailteams wouldn't be able to have them on their FJ's I went with the Warn it doesn't effect the airbag sensors IMO, and I could get the winch I want to fit.

I love quoting Niner!! do you have some trick that lowers the number of posts you actually make on this site!!!!:lol: I know you have had to have posted more, you know to much!

I use mine as a daily driver, but also make it out a few times a month on the trail. The OEM bumpers are plastic and will probably fall off if a pebble jumped up and hit it in the wrong place (obviouse exaggeration). I like to research a little bit, and the trail team comment is accurate. ARB if fully compatible with the OEM airbag and I run a Warn also. The airbag will go off if I hit someone from behind fast enough...I carry extra insurance cause of the damage I most certainly will cause to whoever I hit, God forbid that happens...as I am a realative safe driver. I drive on the offense, and consider traffic a team sport. If we all cooperate on the road, we all get home faster and cut down on the chances of having the bag go off. Sorry Franksfj, I know that concept hasn't made it to the drivers in Cali bigger cities yet....but then again I wouldn't wish sitting in that traffic on my worst enemy! I applaud you for staying sane!

With that said, I did back up into a kid driving a camary in a local walmart parking lot. It was midnight and no one was in the cirlce drive around the center. I came to a quick stop, and he must have been hugging my bumper. I slammed it into reverse (after looking for cars behind me) and got my hitch stuck well past the halfway point on his hood. Had to put in 4 low to get off. No air bag, but also no damage to my truck? Figured I would play it cool when the po po showed up. Just told the officer I was carrying and gave him my CHL. "have a nice night Mr. Kline, here is my card if you need anything." 3 months later the insurance determined it was the kids fault, no complaints here!:bounce2:

Last edited:
I love quoting Niner!! do you have some trick that lowers the number of posts you actually make on this site!!!!:lol: I know you have had to have posted more, you know to much!

I lurk

Oh, and I have know Woody since way before mud existed ;)

I've always liked that Lucrum mount! It's nice. The brush guard though.... lets just say I'm not a fan of them after kissing a couple of trees and breaking the front directional lights. It's getting hacked up for some tubing I need for my 62.

Most wheelers call them damage mulitpliers cause they tend to turn small accidents into bigger ones

When off-roading, you can removed the side guards.

DSC00015.jpg

NDA431FJR

I just noticed that you have 2 shackles on the brushguard. That concerns me, as a pull from it might bend your brushguard into the grille/hood of your truck. The brushguards are only mounted from below and there is a lot of unsupported leverage going on there as well as taking away a lot of approach angle & ground clearance. I did notice you added some L brackets to support a pull but it still seems sketchy, imo. Maybe beef that up for safety reasons.jmho.

Thanks for posting the helpful pics, I really like how your truck looks - it's more aggressive and the winch mount is really slick.
:cheers:

NDA431FJR

I just noticed that you have 2 shackles on the brushguard. That concerns me, as a pull from it might bend your brushguard into the grille/hood of your truck. The brushguards are only mounted from below and there is a lot of unsupported leverage going on there as well as taking away a lot of approach angle & ground clearance. I did notice you added some L brackets to support a pull but it still seems sketchy, imo. Maybe beef that up for safety reasons.jmho.

Thanks for posting the helpful pics, I really like how your truck looks - it's more aggressive and the winch mount is really slick.
:cheers:

Thanks for your concerns and recommendation.

I think it's beefed enough, the bolts on the 4 L-brackets attached to the Lucrum mount are 14mm, grade 9.8. The bolts on push bar are 10mm and grade 9.8 also.

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

To hold the top portion of the push bar, another set of brackets are attached to the radiator support.

DSC00050-copy.jpg

When off-roading, you can removed the side guards.

DSC00015.jpg

Ah ha, NDA431FJR there are the fog lights I want to add to my FJ! Where did you find them or are they your custom install? How well do they light up? Are they a flat beam fog (I hope)? Any information would be truly appreciated.
I live in an area that really get the fog and I want to see under it.

Thanks, I least I have seen what I want.

Ah ha, NDA431FJR there are the fog lights I want to add to my FJ! Where did you find them or are they your custom install? How well do they light up? Are they a flat beam fog (I hope)? Any information would be truly appreciated.
I live in an area that really get the fog and I want to see under it.

Thanks, I least I have seen what I want.

Custom fog lights kit made by SWISSARMYSUV at "Factory style" recessed fog lights in stock bumper (development stage pics) - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

The fog light mounting bracket is attached to the front bumper protector.

DSC00029-1.jpg

I see, great photo. I visited SwissArmySuv thread and I'll see if I can match his solution. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom