Is there a trick to this? Birfield install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, thanks to the help on IH8mud, I've got my 78 knuckles rebuilt, complete with new studs/washers/cones. Preload is set at 10lbs, and the felt/rubber/metal rings are in place.
Now I'm trying to get the right side axle shaft in and it won't go all the way. I've gotten past the flat spot on the birfield, and it feels like it's not engaging on the diff end. I've tried rotating the drive shaft a little to get the splines to match, but no luck so far. I don't want to booger up my new axle seal either.

Am I missing something???:confused:

As noted by HCC, rotate the driveline a little while working the axle in. Also need to push down a little on the outer birf shaft so that the inner axle pivots/raises up to find the hole in the diff.

As noted by HCC, rotate the driveline a little while working the axle in. Also need to push down a little on the outer birf shaft so that the inner axle pivots/raises up to find the hole in the diff.

Like breaking open a shotgun. If you are having troubles with the passenger(short) side.....just wait until you get to the driver's side;)

GL

Ed

If you are having troubles with the passenger(short) side.....just wait until you get to the driver's side;) GL
Ed

Thanks Ed. I thought of mentioning that, but figured he'd get the feel for it once he gets the short side stabbed-in. :idea:

Hey OC, just kinda work it around until it drops into place. Remember that you have to elevate the inner end of the axle a little bit so that it is basically centered in the axle tube. It is a little more difficult on the other side because of the longer axle.

Good Luck. You'll get it.

i've even used a triangular file to help the splines lock in easier.
don't take too much material off, just a wee bit.
worked fine for me after that.

I know you want to save the seal but you almost(do) use the seal as a pivot point to leverage the inner end up about an 1/8th " or so to get it to slide in. Once you feel the motion of what it take sthe first time future birf installs will be a snap. it is like ridin a bike.

Ahhhhhh -- a wiggle, a shove and a turn of the shaft and bam! slide right in.

Better than sex -- almost.

Thank you, Thank you to all for the assistance.

Now for the drivers side....:clap:

Hi All:

Yep, the first time is the charm! ;)

The real question, however, is whether you popped for the new Marline SuperSeals for the outer axle seal!

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom