tundra fuel economy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought an '06 4-door tundra with the 4.7 v-8 . I love everything about this truck but the fuel economy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

sell it.

Never did better than 15 w/ my 04. Averaged 13.5.

Dont sell it....mine is an 04' DC but has the less hp 4.7 and I was getting 14-16 (before lift w/20" wheels)average. I did two things. I put a drop in K&N to replace the factory filter and bought a Scangauge II. It gives you real time MPG, avg MPG, etc...I trained myself to ease up. Im getting 17 avg w/3" lift and larger wheel and tire combo (Scangauge is also is calibrated for the lift) Its plug and play.

Stock 01 access cab 4.7 V8 4X4, 17 mpg at 85/90mph ,flat hwy from L.A to the Bay area, if I take it easy, 65 mph I get 19/20 P265/70R16 highway tires, pulling the FJ40, 60 mph, 16/17 mpg, Love the truck.

bitch about it and they'll go back to 4 cylinders to bitch about. :rolleyes:

New vehicle market buyers made your beds, now lie in them.

Want it bigger?...Too big?...smaller?...too small?...Too square?...too round?...too short?....too tall?....wont pull a loaded train?...dont make a mini anymore?...too black?....too white?......

Last edited:
I haven't tried the K&N yet, or anything else, but I have an 06 DC 4x4 and consistantly run 15.5-16.5 mpg no matter what I do, unless it is something to make it worse. I ran in 4x4 for almost 2 straight months this winter and averaged about 12 mpg. While dissapointing, it isn't much different than the 80 series I almost bought.

Bought my '05 DC 4x4 a year and half ago. Had 17,000 miles when I first got it; got 15 to low 16s all the time. At my first oil change, I put in Mobil 1. My mileage has gotten steadily better (either from M1 or more miles, not sure); I now have 43,000 miles, check my mileage at every tank, and consistently get 16 or so in town (not really stop and go "city" mileage), and low 17s on the highway. The EPA sticker claims 15/18, but I have NEVER done better than 17.5, even driving 70 max on the interstate, and driving like an old woman most of the time. I was originally looking for Taco DC, but ran across a super-deal on this Tundra. I havent really regretted getting the Tundra, but would still like to see 18mpg one day. On the other hand, my buddy still dreams of getting 15.5-16 mpg in his '07 Taco DC 4x4 with 4.0 and 6 speed manual. I like to remind him of my mileage just to piss him off; he's thinking about selling after owning only a year. I would really love to take a poll on mileage for 01-04 Tacoma Double Cabs (4wd and Prerunner) with the 3.4, since that is what I was looking for when I scored the Tundra.

ya I hear you guys on 4.7 mileage.... I think the best I ever got was still under the sticker advertised ratings for highway.

now put a BJ60 wagon on a trailer and pull that with your Tundra..holy crap that was almost as bad as my old 72 Blazer!

I too was looking for a dcab Taco when i bought this Tundra..sort of figured the extra space and options would outway the marginal difference in mileage... seems to me there is about 4 mpg difference at least..hmmm

I would be surprised if a K&N filter would make a big difference... anyone know if intake airflow is restricted on an 05 tundra?

Has anyone tried the factory dual exhaust upgrade? Does that help mileage?
Is there a chip available for these Tundras?
Hey spdshft what did the ScanGauge run you and where did you purchase it?

There was a group buy over on ttora thru Peter Parks, still in effect, FYI.

"To get a unit for $149.95 including shipping you can call 888-433-5664 x13 and ask for Joey. Let him know you want the group buy for parksoffroad.com. You can also paypal to groupbuy(at)linear-logic.com and make sure
you put parksoffroad.com in the notes of the paypal."

ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool

The one in my truck I got from a friend at SoCalTundras.com for $100, but just picked one up for my dad's Sub last month for $170 including shipping. $150 from the group buy is a GREAT price and I would jump on it.

I forgot to mention earlier that I do have the TRD duel exhaust, but it was on there when I bought the truck. I couldnt give a good comparison with before/after.

I had to switch to a set of new plugs, NGK and 4X usage of the Lucas Injector cleaner. I still ran Castrol 5 30. It seems to rack up 17-18 consist lately.

I did not use the K&N due to the oil issues damage the MAF. Wonder switching to Synthetic might help.

I just bought an '06 4-door tundra with the 4.7 v-8 . I love everything about this truck but the fuel economy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

yep tell us what mielage you are getting, most stuff takes away from MPG as in Exhaust, ya like to listen to loud drone and keep your foot on pedal? go figure it will eat more fluid the more ya push pedal to hear exhaust? HYPERMILE IT!! BFT is only going to get what sticker says and sticker says it could be a little less than what sticker says! keep it below 2K RPM's keep premium fuel in it, keep air filter clean,air up tires a tad and feather gas pedal on starts and HYPERMILE IT!!

yep tell us what mielage you are getting, most stuff takes away from MPG as in Exhaust, ya like to listen to loud drone and keep your foot on pedal? go figure it will eat more fluid the more ya push pedal to hear exhaust? HYPERMILE IT!! BFT is only going to get what sticker says and sticker says it could be a little less than what sticker says! keep it below 2K RPM's keep premium fuel in it, keep air filter clean,air up tires a tad and feather gas pedal on starts and HYPERMILE IT!!

dude.. punctuation. I had to read that 3 times to understand it...

I don't own one but would like to. I had the option of an '07 Tundra 4 door with the 5.7 IForce V8 as a rental recently. I drove it for 5 days and according to the dash display, I averaged 22 MPG driving highway from Akron to Cleveland with prolly 25% city driving mixed in. Cops are everywhere hiding/shooting Laser so driving the speed limit certainly helped. The gallons and miles drove confirmed the info from the display pretty close. Besides being huge and difficult to park, I loved it.

Not the 4.7L, but my V8 milage story nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom