What would cause this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the middle of replacing my camshaft and I got the dang crankshaft nut off yesterday and found this. I put the speedy sleeve on a few thousand miles ago. What happened? Thoughts? The last picture is of the timing gear cover. It looks like a piece of it was friction welded to the cover. I have a new cover I'm going to use.

http://www.steelnthings.com/wagontech/em/pics/1.JPG
http://www.steelnthings.com/wagontech/em/pics/2.JPG
http://www.steelnthings.com/wagontech/em/pics/3.JPG

That better?

Last edited:
HOLY BIG PICTURE~~~~~

looks like the speedy sleeve was a bit oversized for the end of the timing cover.

Were the marks in the Pulley there before the speedy sleeve?

BTW, Me thinks you need a new pulley..

So what caused the marks to begin with?

That is most likely your main problem..

So what caused the marks to begin with?

That is most likely your main problem..

I have no idea. The marks were there from the 3F engine which was neglected. Now its on the 2F which has not been neglected.

Maybe the speedy sleeve did ball up? If I'm careful, I should be able to file that down and check the clearances I think.

what mace said. WOW that is one big picture!!!

Had to strain my eyes

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

tonkota........ so what cam you going to run ??????

I believe its possible to bolt up the front cover misaligned to the pulley hub. The trick is to leave the front cover bolts loose, install the pulley so that the oil seal can center the timing cover on the pulley, then tighten the front cover bolts to lock in the alignment.

I believe its possible to bolt up the front cover misaligned to the pulley hub. The trick is to leave the front cover bolts loose, install the pulley so that the oil seal can center the timing cover on the pulley, then tighten the front cover bolts to lock in the alignment.

Thats what I'm thinking. Timing cover wasn't lined up and ate the speedy sleeeve.

Whats the outside diameter of the speedy sleeve and the inside diameter of the crank cover hole?

It looks to me like the speedy sleeve was spinning on the dampener instead of spinning with it. Once it got hot it siezed, deformed and chewed up the seal. You might find a good machinist to re-weld the pulley and save it, or just get a good used one, it shouldn't be too hard to find. One thing to consider is whether or not you have ever had the assembly balanced. If not, no worries. If so, you might mess it up depending on how the machinist did it. The proper way is to balance the crank, then add the flywheel, balance that, then add the dampener and balance that. Some machinists (bad ones) put it all together and balance it as a unit.

It looks to me like the speedy sleeve was spinning on the dampener instead of spinning with it. Once it got hot it siezed, deformed and chewed up the seal. You might find a good machinist to re-weld the pulley and save it, or just get a good used one, it shouldn't be too hard to find. One thing to consider is whether or not you have ever had the assembly balanced. If not, no worries. If so, you might mess it up depending on how the machinist did it. The proper way is to balance the crank, then add the flywheel, balance that, then add the dampener and balance that. Some machinists (bad ones) put it all together and balance it as a unit.

That speedy sleeve is on tight, I installed it. The seal was good, no leaks. I'll take some measurements tonight of the speedy sleeve and the ID of the timing gear cover.

I had it balanced when the engine was rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom